7AA

maddog2020

York Institute Boys won a squeeker tonight in the 7AA tournament against Dekalb County. It was a game that, as a team, they did not deserve to win. Although York was a much stronger team, they struggled throughout most of the game. As a follower of the York team, I have noticed that they have a serious problem. They have as much tallent and ability that anyone could hope for, yet they have been on a marked down hill slide since mid-season. You can actually see it on faces, and in the body laguage of the team during the course of the games. Since I feel that the 2003-04 season is virtually over, I feel urged to voice my opinion. Not in a tone of criticism, but a simple obervation in hopes that things will be corrected before next year.

My first observation is that a mindst has developed among the players, fans and staff, that the team should revolve around one or two key players. I've seen this happen many times. It happened this year at York. It's a psychological thing that causes the rest of the team to not play to their potential. And it puts unrealistic expectations on the "stars" themselves. Without naming names, one of these key players had a very lackluster year. The injury to any player is a tragedy. But, the fact that York did not have Travis Tate for half the season last year was the best thing for the team. (although it's regrettable that Travis was hurt) It forced the rest of the team to come to life with their own tallent. And they did quite well as a result. NO team should ever rely on one or two people.

The second problem that I saw was the lack of the team working as a unit with determination. It seems that a situation has developed where competition with each other for playing time became more important than working together to beat an opponent. This is a really destructive situation, and one that is hard to fix once it happens. It's the ultimate recipe for a break down of the unit. It's happened during the 2003-04 season, and it's going to take an over all adjustment of EVERYONE"S attitude to see that it ends here. Basketball is a team sport with everyone working together and supporing each other. A house divided will surley fall. And everyone on the team will be miserable. If even one player gets his spirit broken by this situation it's a shame and down right inexcusable. Ability without desire and a team attitude should never be given priority over determination, love of the game and a team attitude.

We all tend to blame the players when things go wrong. Yet the staff is also part of the team. They can screw up, too. They're human. And just like the rest of us they tend to overlook their own mistakes. They are just as apt to fall victim to what I've already mentioned as the players. When overwhelmed by frustration they can make bad decisions, too. One example of this has been seen in the player combinations during up to the Christmas break. The team was doing relatively well up then. Since then, the level of frustration and the down hill slide has been plain to see for all.

Coach Earnie Winningham is a good man, and an able coach, and I hope he has many years coaching basketball at York. He has been faced, and has been part of a bad situation that has developed under his watch. But I have confidence that he can do the right thing and eliminate these problems in the coming year. It's not going to be easy, but I still think he has what it takes to do it. With good leadership, I also think Yorks 2004-5 players can overcome this. Several immediately come to mind like, Brandon Burke, Dustin Buck,Byrant Tipton, and others. They are all tallented and hard working.

It's OK to lose if everyone on the team has played as a team and given 100%. Yet, it's a crying shame to have ability and self destruct. Thats my thoughts at the end of a not so good season.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to tell you maddog their season is far from over. As in the last two years when they win the district they come into the tournament as a middle seed and win. They prove they belong. I was at the game last night and when Dekalb tied the game and Josh got the ball. You could see it in his eyes he was going to win the game. He passed the ball, cut and got a great 5 footer for the win. All teams have problems, but most teams have one or two go to people. All though it takes the five on the floor and everyone on the bench to win the game. There is always going to be a go to person. The job of the coach is to melt all that together into one machine. Sometimes there is jealousy problems, but I have found that if you explain to the players what you are trying to do they understand and go along because they want to win. And one more thing a lot of times the trouble a team has comes from the parents griping about stuff not the players.

York has lots of talent. They are kids not adults. They make mistakes and learn from them. Lot of these problems come from parents. You also have to know the coach is the head of this team. They are playing under his guidance. It is his

responsibility to keep these things from happening. They certainly did not play as a team last night. They were very lucky to have won. DeKalb Co beat them all night long. Good luck York we hope you all pull together and beat Upperman.

Maddog2020-

I do not think you should be counting out York just yet. Although they have played up to nobody's expectations, I still think they have time to pull together and make a post season run. Like somebody else pointed out, it seems they always do.

About next season though, it seems to me that they are going to have the same problems next year, that they do this year. This year Josh Stevens and Derek Ledbetter do almost all the scoring, with Tipton adding a few baskets. Next year Derek and Tipton will do all the scoring, with Brandon Stockon adding a few baskets. As for saying Burke has talent, I think he does but I haven't seen him play any in a long time. I'm not sure I know exactly who Dustin Buck is. I don't know how talened he is, but maybe he's one of those talanted freshmen that we hear about but never see. Good luck against Upperman dragons.......YOU WILL NEED IT :lol:

Edited by FireonPhoenix5

Who cares if they won by 1 or 100? A win's a win, and they advance on. Thank goodness because the girls didn't, one way or another. I hope you guys go all the way. Your season's not over by a long shot, as far as I'm concerned, and I'll be there to support ya'll at every game. By the way, sweet shot, Josh, at the end. :o

Soccerchick is right about the fans supporting this team. I saw the York crowd at TTU Saturday night and they never got excited, not even after the winning shot. Most of them just sat there like a big purple blob.

Maddog doesn't have to tell who he is, that's the beaty of coacht. You can voice your opinion without people knowing who you are.