Why was a chair thrown?

sweepit

Spencer will always be remembered a champion,Marable won that match but in the end they both are champs, I've enjoyed over the years watching Spencer, I'm not a blue fan but not because I don't respect great wrestlers and great families, Spencer is one of the best... I have never respected G.C.

Wow, that's a brave statement. I think we all know that Spencer deserved to be atop the podium. It's a shame it had to happen that way, but that's wrestling.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's a brave statement. I think we all know that Spencer deserved to be atop the podium. It's a shame it had to happen that way, but that's wrestling.

I have to argue with you on that one BotW. I don't think that is wrestling. I think that if it were truly wrestling then there would have been a wrestleoff for the weight. However, I am in no position to question McCallie's coach he has had much more experience and success than I. But I think it is a shame for Spencer and great validation for Nick.

It is nice to win the traditional team title but to force a wrestler who is clearly the best at his weight to go another weight class so the team can overcome their failure of capturing the duals title stinks.

Just want to clear up this subjective comment. The weight classes were decided on just after Christmas. Walkenvol could have brought his protests here to coacht long ago, but he did not. I commend him for that and his consideration for Spencer's teammates.

Just want to clear up this subjective comment. The weight classes were decided on just after Christmas. Walkenvol could have brought his protests here to coacht long ago, but he did not. I commend him for that and his consideration for Spencer's teammates.

pantheon,

Prior to McCallie, have you ever made a similar decision regarding your line up for a end of the season tournament like the one involving your 152 this year. (I mean an traditional type tournament)?

Also, do you think that Walkenvol's protest for his son's situation, wrestling up two weights classes and facing a national champ, was handled appropriately by the McCallie staff?

Would you mind sharing your personal view point on this?

It seems to me that Coach Connel actually did Spencer a favor by making him wrestle up in weight class. He won the state having to work harder, and wrestling better competition than he would have done if he had wrestled down. This may actually help him in the summer when he goes back down to wrestle in the lower weight classes. Sounds like Coach Connel may know a little bit more than Spencer's father about how to produce champions. Spencer should feel prouder about this championship than his last one's. As far as the chair throwing, the rationalization given by the father doesn't fly with me. Holding in football is against the rules, but it is up for interpretation every play. Although the hold is legal, if in the interpretation by the official the hand crossed the chin, or there may be choking then it becomes illegal. Its a judgement call at best and just because you see it different doesn't give you the right to display unsportsmanlike behavior.

It seems to me that Coach Connel actually did Spencer a favor by making him wrestle up in weight class. He won the state having to work harder, and wrestling better competition than he would have done if he had wrestled down. This may actually help him in the summer when he goes back down to wrestle in the lower weight classes. Sounds like Coach Connel may know a little bit more than Spencer's father about how to produce champions. Spencer should feel prouder about this championship than his last one's. As far as the chair throwing, the rationalization given by the father doesn't fly with me. Holding in football is against the rules, but it is up for interpretation every play. Although the hold is legal, if in the interpretation by the official the hand crossed the chin, or there may be choking then it becomes illegal. Its a judgement call at best and just because you see it different doesn't give you the right to display unsportsmanlike behavior.

Where have you been? Spencer didn't win. He lost to Nick Marable in the finals.

Joe7, the state of Indiana has a similar setup to Tennessee`s in that they have a Dual tournament and an Individual Tournament. The difference is The dual tournament is the only one where a "Team" trophy is handed out.The individual Tournament only recognizes individual championships. That`s really the way it needs to be in our state.

I know of no other sport where you can win the state team championship TWICE in the same season.

But in Tennessee, I know our association has a history of benevolence and wants many state championships to be won by as many schools as possible so as not to offend anyone.

The TSSAA Motto: "TROPHIES ARE US"

Joe7, the state of Indiana has a similar setup to Tennessee`s in that they have a Dual tournament and an Individual Tournament. The difference is The dual tournament is the only one where a "Team" trophy is handed out.The individual Tournament only recognizes individual championships. That`s really the way it needs to be in our state.

I know of no other sport where you can win the state team championship TWICE in the same season.

But in Tennessee, I know our association has a history of benevolence and wants many state championships to be won by as many schools as possible so as not to offend anyone.

The TSSAA Motto: "TROPHIES ARE US"

I think that most followers of wrestling would agree that a dual match up of teams is quite often a different event than seeing the same team at a tournament. Most have the opinion that a team may be either a strong dual or tourny team.

For example, D2 state champ for the dual tourny was not the same state champ as the traditional tourny.

Another example is D1 Soddy wins the Dual and D1 Bradley wins the traditonal tourny the same year.

In the early post-split past, there were overtures to the DI coaches group by the DII coaches group to unite the two divisions once again in the Traditional and recognize only individual championships...no team points, no team scores. The proposal was not met with favor by the DI coaches. I have no knowledge of positions on this idea in more recent years.

In the Traditional, there are some of us fans who enjoy the dual pursuits to win gold by individuals and by teams. That is the way it has been from the beginning. That is the way we conduct our Invitationals that give individual placements. To change the Traditional to no team scores would create a whole different atmosphere.

The addition of the Dual Tournament by the TSSAA during the late '80s gave teams an additional avenue to compete with one another toward winning a championship. Some of us (maybe most of us) have come to appreciate the entertainment value of each tournament and would be disappointed to lose any of that value provided by either tournament.

Edited by delaWarr