Why was a chair thrown?

sweepit

He moved up two weights? WalkenVol I wish you would have posted that earlier, I would have made a point just to see that, I mean 140 to 160 which is a very hard weight most of the time and alot of good wrestlers avoid it, at least in D1, that is impressive in it's self.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much did Andrew Smith, Ryan Scott and Spencer each weigh and where would each one of you Monday morning quaterbacks wrestle them in the tournament to get the maximum team points? It is a "team" sport isn't it.

From a previous post about another McCallie great "A very deserving award, Jim was truly one of the greats of the past. He won the mid-south tournament his Sr. year(1967?) at 185 lb, and then two weeks later he won the Nat'l Preps at 148. He had to drink water to get over the minimum weight of 157 in order to wrestle in the 185 lb class. And as MLK stated, Jim is a class act-contgrats. "

It's above 2 weights that it is illegal . It happens all the time.

Wrestling is a team sport at the Duels not the Individual State Championships. That's why the Duels were started! One for the team and a separate for the individual wrestler.

I think if D1 and D2 were one division then McCallie never would have done such a thing in the state because the teams are more spread out in points. Also, the chances of being a 4 time State Champion is a tougher road.

(16vs32 man brackets, everyone in your division goes vs only the cream of the top go). More wear and tare on the body and higher chance for upsets.

Great Ideal for the State Duels bad for the Individual State.

Coach's egos or school egos should not destroy a young mans quest to show he's the best at his weight. SAD, SAD, :wub:

Edited by rigger101

Be warned anyone out there considering sending your son to wrestle at McCallie, if your sending them there for an education only then I reccomend it highly.

I feel this is a bit extreme. One can argue over the better programs in the state, but the McCallie Wrestling Program is exceptional, IMHO. Not only is there solid leadership, but weekly a speaker comes in from the community to share experiences steeped in spiritual significance, etc. The whole person is important, not just what can be done on a wrestling mat.

Tim, I know you have harsh feelings over this matter. I understand. But, please do not lump it all in together.

-Herring

tex - what more needs to be said about the lineup beyond what coach Connell has said twice in the newpaper. I stayed away from this earlier because it wasn't fair to Spencer's teammates to create a big stink about it in public. There were no wrestle offs. Connell set the lineup and if you didn't like it your other choice was to quit. We repeatedly appealed our concerns up through the proper channels within the school but it fell on deaf ears. Be warned anyone out there considering sending your son to wrestle at McCallie, if your sending them there for an education only then I reccomend it highly. We had no way to know about it because as stated in the paper, all the years leading up to this one there were wrestle offs just like at every other school and there were wrestle offs at McCallie this year at other weights. Spencer is a 140 pounder having wrestled that scratch weight in PA after Christmas and will wrestle there at senior nationals. That's the whole truth, what more can be said? We were put into a tough situation for 2 1/2 months for my son and my family and did the best we could with it. In our book Spencer is a champion even if the history books won't reflect it. Thank you to my many friends from programs all over the state that knew what was happening and offered words of encouragement. Your kindness is not forgotten.

pantheon,

Since walkenvol was directing his comments to my question I would like to point out that he did a wonderful job of saying a few things.

a) He recommends McCallie as an educational experience (actually he recommends it highly)

:wub: He only warns potential parents of what his family frustrations were this year.

I think he expressed himself in a moderate and controlled fashion and with dignity for both himself and those involved at McCallie.

Mr Manley is a class guy whos kid got royally shafted by Coach Connel. This tournament is for the individual championships. It is the individual stage not the team stage. Hence the names dual(team) and Traditional(individual). It is nice to win the traditional team title but to force a wrestler who is clearly the best at his weight to go another weight class so the team can overcome their failure of capturing the duals title stinks. Spencer would easily have been a three time champion and if I were Tim Manley I would have thrown a chair or two also. (He threw it after a lousy call by the way.)Better he tossed a chair through his weeks of frustration rather than throwing verbal or physical punches at a coach and a program that he had given his heart to financially and emotionally. His son has been one of McCallies greats and to be treated in the manner he was treated was absolutely shameful. Good luck to the Manleys. Spencer is tough and loaded with character and will over come this snub. But dont look for any Christmas cards G.C. Nick Marable is deserving and obviously a super tough wrestler. He has no control of this thing and proved he is one of the finest around anywhere. Congratulations to Nick also. You are vey tough.

Edited by Brickhousechick

Ive been following McCallie wrestling for some time and anyone familiar with this board knows I bleed Blue and have been a staunch supporter of Coach Connell. However I do think he was wrong in his handling of Spencer Manley and agree that Tim has legitamate reason to question what happened.Most in the program know he could easily have won the spot he was forced to vacate. I wish him luck and applaud him on his character in handling this situation. However I dont think it ever should have happened. It has not happend before that I know of and I too question the reason as to why now. I think it deprived a great young man of his 3rd state title. Pantheon as you say Mcallie does teach our boys many great lessons other than wrestling. The spiritual speakers etc. are a big plus. But what spiritual or life lesson did we teach here in the indiviual state championships to an indivual who has always given his all to our team? Go Spencer and Go Blue. Lets hope decisions like this doesent make future Tornados Go Elsewhere!

Spencer will always be remembered a champion,Marable won that match but in the end they both are champs, I've enjoyed over the years watching Spencer, I'm not a blue fan but not because I don't respect great wrestlers and great families, Spencer is one of the best... I have never respected G.C.

Joe7-obviously because they do give a team trophy to the winner. But to answer the question with a question ill ask you this--Why hold a duals? Because it is the true team title. No outside studs from other teams to gum up the works. Just your best 14 vs mine. You may have noticed that they dont give an outstanding wrestler or best match in the duals. Why? It is the Team championship. The traditional tournament invites the top 32 or 16 indiviual wrestlers(depending on d1 or d2) to see who is the best indiviual at that weight. And Just because you can claim the traditional team title with the entire mix of wrestlers from all teams thrown in does not mean you win head to head. It is an entirely different format. One that stresses the indiviual champions, that is unless you happened to be Spencer Manley this year.