4 seniors deserving of state titles come up short

goiowa1

In watching the finals on saturday afternoon, i saw four seniors loose their last match. It pained me to see the looks on the faces of each, after their realization of a senior title came to a screeching halt. The four I had in mind were danny coleman from cleveland, spencer manly from mccallie, jake geismer from baylor and tim manson also from baylor. Each one wrestled a smart tough match from beginning to end and we should applaud them all for that. One thing in particular that struck me as inspiring, was the look in mansons eyes, even though he was being out gunned by mccallies cody cleveland, manson still kept coming with all he had, not backing down the entire match. You could see in him that there was a controlled rage which elevated his fight. Its never fun to walk away from a senior year with out accomplishing what you set out for, but we should all be proud of these four, for the way in which they competed during their senior season. Good luck to the four of you. The entire tennessee wrestling community is proud of you.

p.s. any more deserving seniors i forgot to mention out there?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Manley was the most disappointing, mostly because of the circumstances (he didn't get to wrestle his true weight). He was the most deserving. While Geismar and Manson are very good wrestlers, they have both already been beaten earlier in the season by Simpson and Cleveland, so I don't think that they were expecting to win. Tinsley might have expected to win after he drilled Coleman at regions, and he was a senior I think.

I really had great expectations for Blake Tinsley after the way he handled Coleman at Region 3 Tournament. Blake is one of the finest young men I have ever met. I, and the Bradley fans, are very proud of Blake. Blake has had an outstanding wrestling career and he can be very proud of all that he has accomplished. As a Bradley fan I tip my hat to Nic Bundy. Nic wrestled great and he may have had the toughest route to achieve his State Championship. Congratulations to Blake on an outstanding career.

I think that Manley was the most disappointing, mostly because of the circumstances (he didn't get to wrestle his true weight). He was the most deserving. While Geismar and Manson are very good wrestlers, they have both already been beaten earlier in the season by Simpson and Cleveland, so I don't think that they were expecting to win. Tinsley might have expected to win after he drilled Coleman at regions, and he was a senior I think.

I would say its really disappointing for Manley because, when Manley first went to McCallie his dad held him back a year supposedly for academic reasons .Spencer was an honor roll student all through middle school. So I give more credit to Marable for beating what should have been a Freshman in collage.

Edited by ezc1185

A quick note to and observation of the seniors wrestling in their last state high school tournament:

It struck me as I watched a young man leave the mat in tears one match short of the medal round, he was a senior. Very doubtful he will ever wrestle again, no college letters coming to his address, not for wrestling anyway. His tournament wasn't over, his career was. With hundreds of wrestlers starting the season in each weight class he had come so far, but I could see in his eyes that he had so far to go. In the big picture wrestling is not about winning a state championship. If it was most of us would be losers. But, I think most of us will acknowledge that it is the dedication, sacrifice, and suffering that binds us and makes all who endure a winner.

Hopefully these young man will pass it on to their sons.

A quick note to and observation of the seniors wrestling in their last state high school tournament:

It struck me as I watched a young man leave the mat in tears one match short of the medal round, he was a senior. Very doubtful he will ever wrestle again, no college letters coming to his address, not for wrestling anyway. His tournament wasn't over, his career was. With hundreds of wrestlers starting the season in each weight class he had come so far, but I could see in his eyes that he had so far to go. In the big picture wrestling is not about winning a state championship. If it was most of us would be losers. But, I think most of us will acknowledge that it is the dedication, sacrifice, and suffering that binds us and makes all who endure a winner.

Hopefully these young man will pass it on to their sons.

Beautifully put.

Another senior that finished his career on a sour note was Ari Ibrahim of Overton. he has been a great wrestler and has accomplished a ton, in only his fourth year of wreslting. He will be a very succesful wreslter at the next level. He was very upset at his loss on saturday. There should be no shame losing to Cordell, becuase he is a x3 state champion. Ari is a class act and one of the best kids I have known. He is a strong individual who has gone through a lot and has made a great person out of himself. I want to congratulate him on his accomplishments and wish him good luck at the nationals in April.

I disagree with Jake Geismer supposed to win.  He got lucky to score on Simpson.  He had a good season and finished the best he could have.  I don't pitty him not winning at all.

-Bodylock2

Geismar was lucky to score on Simpson? Surely you jest. A strong argument can be made that if back points had been properly awarded you get another result. I am also fairly certain he is not looking for your pity.

Edited by mtnrasslin

I disagree with Jake Geismer supposed to win. He got lucky to score on Simpson. He had a good season and finished the best he could have. I don't pitty him not winning at all.

-Bodylock2

I don't know that you can say any one "is supposed to win" during the finals of the State Tournament. Well said, mtnrasslin - I doubt he would care for his pity, or his opinion.