Congradulations OAK RIDGE District CHAMPS

stingray

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak Ridge did what they had to do to WIN! Powell on the other hand didn't have a good game plan. The Powell coaches haven't taught their girls how to beat a zone defense. The Powell guards would hold the ball for 3 or 4 seconds, look around, dribble three or four times and then pass the ball back to a guard. Powell coaches you better teach your girls to pass the ball around quickly during a zone defense, or you won't make it out of regions. Powell also hasn't improved on breaking the press. They let Oak Ridge's defense set-up before they ever threw the ball in. The play Powell plays to break the press is for 2 guards to pass the ball back and forth laterally until they get to half court, unless the ball is stolen beforehand. Powell beat Oak Ridge in January by Terra Michael running down the court breaking the press and dishing the ball off to one of the three big post. Powell's girl were even scared to shoot the ball. Powell's coaches should let the girls play ball and not worry about everytime down the court you run a play. There were several times Powell could have taken a good shot without running the play to the end, because running the play to the end sure wasn't working. They passed the ball around to much and had it stolen away. One good thing about the game was that Oak Ridge didn't get all the calls. In fact, they didn't get any! Powell keep you heads up and come to regions ready to win!

Yes, OR definitely did what it took to get the win. Powell missed a great opportunity in the 2nd quarter to capitalize and rack up some points. As much as I love the Lady Panthers, they did not play like they really wanted to win. In fact they didn't even look like they wanted to be out there. The real shame is that there is soo much talent on that team that they don't need the over-coaching that they get. These girls know how to play ball. Word has it that if you do not execute the plays and take it upon yourself to take a shot you will be taken out of the game (even if you scored). This is definitely not the same team that began the season. Where is their joy and love of playing the game? Also, could someone tell me why they dress out 10 girls? They only play 8. If those girls are good enough to wear the uniform then why are they not good enough to play? I have always been told that if you can't get the job done then you go to someone who will. Those two kids usually look pretty good during warm-ups. I guess they are just window dressing. Anyway, I hope the Lady Panthers can get the fire back in their bellies or they are toast. They are to good for their season to end like this.

Did what they had to do? Can't you give them a litte credit they led by 20 most of the second half. Powell is a very good team but so is Oak Ridge.Oak Ridge has held them down with good defense. Powell has won 30 games this season so Coach Young must be doing something right..Good luck to both teams next week. They will need it!!

I agree, DC. Powell didn't play their best game of the year, but much of that was due to the fact that Oak Ridge forced them to do things that they didn't want to do.

Both are outstanding teams. Powell has won 30 games and has the ability to get back on the same level that they were earlier in the year at any minute. Oak Ridge is peaking at the right time.

No matter what happens the rest of the way, both have had outstanding seasons.

Did what they had to do? Can't you give them a litte credit they led by 20 most of the second half. Powell is a very good team but so is Oak Ridge.Oak Ridge has held them down with good defense. Powell has won 30 games this season so Coach Young must be doing something right..Good luck to both teams next week. They will need it!!

Oak Ridge played great ball! I don't mean to take away from OR girls at all. They had the confidence to win and they did. Almost anyone could coach Powell's team with it's talent and win all the big games. Three girls on the team have scored 1,000 points. (Renee Williams did tonight) and Caitlin Hollifield will probably break 1,000 by her junior year. Powell's girls were tired tonight. I agree with switchplay the other two girls on the bench should have played at least some time to give the other players a rest.

DCCATVOICE if you were at the game tonight, did you really believe Powell's coaches had a good game plan by passing the ball slowly in a zone defense and would you honestly have the guards passing the ball laterally to beat a press? The ball was stolen numerous of times on that lateral pass. As said in posts before, Powell really hasn't played to many good teams, due to their district being weak this year. The big games they have played in this year are Oak Ridge (three times), Heritage, and a team from Georgia during a Christams tourney. Out of all 4 games, Powell has won 1. Powell always gets out coached in the big games.

OR is beatable, it's just when you hear Oak Ridge, it's like the other team is scared of them. But congrats OR, you guys deserve it.

I don't know if I would go that far. I can name one team who isnt scared of the lady cats, they've beaten them three years running for the region title. Maybe you've heard of them, the Sevier County Bearettes. The way they played last night agianst heritage I dont see many teams being able to mount a defense capable of stopping them. Call me crazy but they held one of the best players in the nation to a meesly 14 points. When tourney time rolls around these girls come with there A game.

scbballfreak, at the Sevier Co. and Heritage game, i don't know if you actually watched or just looked at the scoreboard at the eng of the game. yes Sevier Co. won and yes cait only scored 14, but niether team played good, they were both pretty crappy, but i don't agree that they held cait to 14, cait held herself, she got enough shots off to score 30, she was just not making them, which happens from time to time, she missed shots andhad a bad game, it wasn't all on Sevier Co. defense, but Sevier Co. did win so....

scbballfreak, at the Sevier Co. and Heritage game, i don't know if you actually watched or just looked at the scoreboard at the eng of the game. yes Sevier Co. won and yes cait only scored 14, but niether team played good, they were both pretty crappy, but i don't agree that they held cait to 14, cait held herself, she got enough shots off to score 30, she was just not making them, which happens from time to time, she missed shots andhad a bad game, it wasn't all on Sevier Co. defense, but Sevier Co. did win so....

...so then shut up!

I disagree about Powell looking like they didn't even want to be at the game...they made good plays, took good shots...but even even the best teams lose occasionally. This loss will just pump the Lady Panthers up even more going into the Region tournament. I will give credit to Oak Ridge, they played well...I just believe Powell has so much talent on their squad and we will definitely be seeing them finish big this year!