Div. I privates moving to Div.II

I think the Nashville ABC privates see the light. Now if the rest of the privates do the same, then they can recruit as they have been doing without having to hide it. Then the public wont have to yell as much about the cheating { I think you call it whining, I call it wanting a level playing field.}

Recruiting at least in principle is still prohibited but thank you for your support.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Nashville ABC privates see the light. Now if the rest of the privates do the same, then they can recruit as they have been doing without having to hide it. Then the public wont have to yell as much about the cheating { I think you call it whining, I call it wanting a level playing field.}

We don't recruit...never have, never will. You, sir, are accusing good people you don't know of dishonest and illegal behavior. Sadly, you can probably justify it in your mind. Pity.

You may call it an opinion. I call it petty slander by a suspicious minded ill informed gossip monger.

I'll preface by saying I am very torn between the two sides. I am not torn b/c I know little of both sides, but rather I am torn b/c I know much of both sides.

I do know for a fact that several private schools are VERY upset w/ the multiplier. I have read the letters to the editors, and I have even heard some of them first-hand. I also know for a fact that several public schools are VERY happy that the private schools upset.

I see a lot of irony here. For years the private schools have been frustrated w/ the public schools and their "whining" ways. There have even been statements made by private school coaches to the effect of, “Stop complaining, get of your butts and work hard like we do.”

On the other hand, public schools have fought for “a level playing field” and when others didn’t see the same inequity they felt frustrated. They felt that they had no voice b/c TSSAA wouldn’t yield to their wishes, or at least compromise. They made statements like, “It’s easy for you to say ‘Just work hard, you’re the ones w/ the advantage.’”

Now the shoe is on the other foot for those on both sides of the issue. What if both sides remembered how it felt to be on the other side, and maybe even practiced what they’ve been preaching? What if the private schools just sucked it up and played ball? After all, that’s what they’ve been screaming for years to the public schools. What if the public schools actually listened to the private schools gripes about inequity? After all, they might be able to remember how that felt.

It seems to boil down to this: Marley was right when he said, “It’s all about winning.” Few seem to be seeking equity, and most seem to be seeking wins. Few seem to be able to see beyond their own selfish desires, and again, that goes for those on both sides.

I realize these thoughts will be dismissed as idealistic garbage. That’s OK. At least I feel better after saying it.

I'll preface by saying I am very torn between the two sides. I am not torn b/c I know little of both sides, but rather I am torn b/c I know much of both sides.

I do know for a fact that several private schools are VERY upset w/ the multiplier. I have read the letters to the editors, and I have even heard some of them first-hand. I also know for a fact that several public schools are VERY happy that the private schools upset.

I see a lot of irony here. For years the private schools have been frustrated w/ the public schools and their "whining" ways. There have even been statements made by private school coaches to the effect of, “Stop complaining, get of your butts and work hard like we do.”

On the other hand, public schools have fought for “a level playing field” and when others didn’t see the same inequity they felt frustrated. They felt that they had no voice b/c TSSAA wouldn’t yield to their wishes, or at least compromise. They made statements like, “It’s easy for you to say ‘Just work hard, you’re the ones w/ the advantage.’”

Now the shoe is on the other foot for those on both sides of the issue. What if both sides remembered how it felt to be on the other side, and maybe even practiced what they’ve been preaching? What if the private schools just sucked it up and played ball? After all, that’s what they’ve been screaming for years to the public schools. What if the public schools actually listened to the private schools gripes about inequity? After all, they might be able to remember how that felt.

It seems to boil down to this: Marley was right when he said, “It’s all about winning.” Few seem to be seeking equity, and most seem to be seeking wins. Few seem to be able to see beyond their own selfish desires, and again, that goes for those on both sides.

I realize these thoughts will be dismissed as idealistic garbage. That’s OK. At least I feel better after saying it.

Eddie,

I admire you for being "idealistic." I think we need more idealism and less cynicism. There are likely some private schools "whining" about the multiplier, just as in the past there were public schools whining about the "unlevel playing field."

Does this mean we are doomed to an environment of "whining" in high school sports? I certainly hope not. I am not a prophet, but what I think will happen is that those schools that are committed to excellence will find a way to excel. Those schools that want to cry "foul!" will still be able to find reasons to whine.

May the tribe increase of those schools (public and private) who seek to excel and go about the process in an honorable way.

BTW, I think this is my 500th post!

Supersteve...I hope the private schools continue their course of striving to do well. It`s sad that al the complaining has caused them to have a multiplier. If the private schools jump ship now, then I lose a lot of respect for them. However if they continue to stay the course and play by the rules as they always have done then any future complaining by public schools becomes ridiculous. The public schools are now backed into a corner. They either have to play ball or shut up.

The highest multiplier used in the country now belongs to us cry babies in Tennessee. Not one state has a multiplier higher that 1.5 except for the Volunteer State. We have a 1.8.

What`s next? A 3.0 multiplier? Some private schools are good, but they ain`t that good. It`s time private schools tell the publics to put up or shut up.

Supersteve...I hope the private schools continue their course of striving to do well. It`s sad that al the complaining has caused them to have a multiplier. If the private schools jump ship now, then I lose a lot of respect for them. However if they continue to stay the course and play by the rules as they always have done then any future complaining by public schools becomes ridiculous. The public schools are now backed into a corner. They either have to play ball or shut up.

The highest multiplier used in the country now belongs to us cry babies in Tennessee. Not one state has a multiplier higher that 1.5 except for the Volunteer State. We have a 1.8.

What`s next? A 3.0 multiplier? Some private schools are good, but they ain`t that good. It`s time private schools tell the publics to put up or shut up.

I don't generally disagree with you. Please don't be too judgmental about what the private schools do with respect to going to D-II or staying in D-I. Each school has to do what they think is best in their given situation. They have to take into account their mission, their opportunities, etc. It is not an easy decision to make for some, I am sure.

My main point (which I think you understand) is that schools that are committed to excellence will continue to seek excellence. Schools committed to reaction will continue to react (or over-react).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand wanting to move to division 2 either. The schools that are there now have been offering financial aid for years and have funds to do so. True most schools have families that will donate towards that if they did move. I go to a 1A private school, next year is my last year so i won't get caught up in it all. One thing that bothers me is it is just people whining about football. When we played Middleton, Greenfield and Halls in football we beat all of them by about forty points then basketball gets here and Middleton beats us 3 out of 4 times, Greenfield beats us in Sub state and Halls makes it to the State tournament. Not one Middleton Basketball player plays footballand comparing the athletic ability of Greenfields basketball and football teams none of them play football either. It's not that the schools don't have athletes, it's that they chose to play a sport other than footballand we have kids like that in our school.