should there be a shot clock?

milo1234

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no reason not to have a shot clock. It makes the players play basketball. Anyone can stand there holding a ball and I don't want people busting their butts to have to play someone as flat-out ###### as a team that would just hold the ball for quarters at a time. Many of these players are gonna' play college and have a shot clock anyway. Might as well get 'em used to it.

The Big Dawg

should there be a shot clock in high school? yes. will there ever be one? no. why? because that is the logical thing to do and the boys up at TSSAA like to the the illogical thing. sure it might be a little steep for some schools but it is a one time investment and it wouldnt be hard to find someone run the shot clock.

i'm somewhat torn on this.

don't get me wrong, i can't stand seeing a team up by a few hold the ball for all a majority of the 2nd half, running out sometimes half a quarter in single possesion. however, we have to deal with no shot clock, for now. without the shot clock it does add somewhat of a different element to the game, where the coaches have to decide when to hold the ball for the last shot, when to foul when the other team is holding the ball, etc. while this definately doesn't make for good basketball to watch it forces coaches/players to incorporate these factors into their strategy.

What I would like to know is what are all these teams doing while the other team is "just holding the ball".

BigDawg-- Just a question but how many players do you expect to be impact players or even see significant minutes in their freshman year of college? They'll get used to it in due time.

Edited by Pantherbert

high school basketball teams are too focused on bringing the ball up the court slowly, passing 47 times, and then finding a open man for a layup, this is not how basketball is played, if you go to a rec gym, do you see players walking the ball up the court and stalling? no, you see action and scoring, a shot clock would force teams to bring the ball up quicker, and defenses would press more often because a press would slow them down eating clock, then when teams get up the court, they have to set up quick and run plays efficiently so they can get a good shot off, and if they cant, thats where a go-to man comes into play, all nba and ncaa teams have one, maybe two guys that they go to at the end of the clock who come up with big shots, forcing players to take and make those big shots at the end of the shot clock shows who your truly talented scorers really are

I think a shot clock would be good for high school basketball. The number of seconds could be increased from that at the college level and still several things could be accomplished by this. I would just like to see what area of the game Doc at MLK would choose to abuse next. How about him having his players sit Indian-style in the floor? How dangerous is that? Seaty butts on the floor would seem to make for a slick playing surface. Anyway- It would be great if the TSSAA would implement a shot clock.

No crying on my part. Fortunately my team didn't have to play MLK Monday night but I did have to sit through it and in my opinion it takes away from the game to hold the ball for fifteen of the first sixteen minutes. I'm just glad I didn't have to drive a long way to see the game or pay to watch.