Single A State

spaceman15

heres a brief history of FRAs current senior class' new students for you:

12th grade year--> 0 new students

11th --> 2 new students (neither play any sports)

10th --> 3 new students (1 basketball starter, 2 new girls- 1 throws for track)

9th --> several new students (none play basketball, one is a cheerleader, 2 ran cross country)

8th --> we expanded the grade a little, so theres a few athletes (1 in football, a couple in baseball, but none basketball)

7th --> I was one of 4 new students, and I can garauntee I was admitted based soley on academics.

So, since Ive outlined how we enter new students for you, where did we enter people based on athletics? where are the ones whos parents sent them to FRA for sports?

Our top 6 basketball players go like this- PG=transfer from MBA (didnt steal him from public or whatever your whining about) SG= been here since prek, SF= been here since prek, PF=been here since prek, C= moved here in 10th grade from NC, obviously not because of basketball since we were 4-28 the year before he came. 6th man= been here since prek. and for that matter, our next senior has also been at FRA since prek.

Unless you think DI private school pick out the cream of the crop when theyre in elementary school, theres no way private can be accused of recruiting better athletes. They are better coached. Tennessee public schools are ranked 48th in the nation and it shows through in athletics. Refine the school system, but dont separate.

The TSSAA is trying to cure the symptoms rather than the disease.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree coasterboarder...CPA[, for one, does not recruit and has no advantage over Rockwood or any other public school just because we are private... with many more students at their schools, i dont know why public schools are complaining about being at some disadvantage... i mean, with 300 kids in a class, couldnt you probably find 5 basketball players at least as good as a school with 75 in a class... doesnt make much sense to me...

yeah were pretty much exactly the same. the publics play what rolls in on the big yellow bus and the privates play who rolls in in their big yellow vipers.

also wanted to add that the majority of 1a schools only have 300 tops in their whole school, not every grade. most of them only a little more than 200 students. your school may have a small number of students in it but when you have thousands to choose from to let come to your school, it doesn't hurt your chances of having some good athletes. i understand that is not your fault that the privates have much nicer facilities than the publics do but you have to understand that if there is some parent sitting up there in nashville and sees that his son has a good chance of bieng athletic, he's probably gonna go to a private shcool and play sports. there is nothing wrong with that but it is just unfair to let schools with those kind of advantages play against the small, rural towns of 1a ball.

even though i feel that the privates are at a huge advantage and all, i still hope that CPA wins the state title because everyone that i have ever played agaisnt or watched play ball from their has been very respectful. their former football coach, coach pack, was a very nice man and demanded that his players play with the utmost respect for their opponents. they could have beaten us 2 years ago like a red headed stepchild but instead, he called off the dogs early and just beat us like a stepchild! lol.

good luck CPA. thankfully for the publics, the end is near!!!

good post

i agree coasterboarder...CPA[, for one, does not recruit and has no advantage over Rockwood or any other public school just because we are private... with many more students at their schools, i dont know why public schools are complaining about being at some disadvantage... i mean, with 300 kids in a class, couldnt you probably find 5 basketball players at least as good as a school with 75 in a class... doesnt make much sense to me...

yeah were pretty much exactly the same. the publics play what rolls in on the big yellow bus and the privates play who rolls in in their big yellow vipers.

also wanted to add that the majority of 1a schools only have 300 tops in their whole school, not every grade. most of them only a little more than 200 students. your school may have a small number of students in it but when you have thousands to choose from to let come to your school, it doesn't hurt your chances of having some good athletes. i understand that is not your fault that the privates have much nicer facilities than the publics do but you have to understand that if there is some parent sitting up there in nashville and sees that his son has a good chance of bieng athletic, he's probably gonna go to a private shcool and play sports. there is nothing wrong with that but it is just unfair to let schools with those kind of advantages play against the small, rural towns of 1a ball.

even though i feel that the privates are at a huge advantage and all, i still hope that CPA wins the state title because everyone that i have ever played agaisnt or watched play ball from their has been very respectful. their former football coach, coach pack, was a very nice man and demanded that his players play with the utmost respect for their opponents. they could have beaten us 2 years ago like a red headed stepchild but instead, he called off the dogs early and just beat us like a stepchild! lol.

good luck CPA. thankfully for the publics, the end is near!!!

good post

first of all, going to a private school doesnt make you a rich snob... take me for instance...

secondly, just like IA public schools (which i understand have a relatively small student body for public schools), there is a reason why cpa, fra, and all the other IA private schools are in this class... if you are a superior athlete in the Nashville area, please don't tell me that you would choose to go to fra or cpa or ncs just because they have such dominating athletic departments... because, wait a second, they don't... not compared to div II schools like BA and MBA or the greater nashville area public schools...

I really hope that whole idea is not true because its sad if you wanted to come to cpa for basketball... we have been at or near the bottom of our district for while and were picked to finish 5th out of 6 teams this year... our guys worked hard and are winning games this year but the program is no established powerhouse

first of all, going to a private school doesnt make you a rich snob... take me for instance...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Thats all i have to say about that. About your 2nd comment, sure the bigger private schools get better talent, but you still have a great chance of getting talent. Quit trying to defend yourself, TSSAA is already doing something to fix this. The Rockwood Vs. CPA game is about the boys, if CPA wins they had better talent, if Rockwood wins they had better talent. Nothing we say or do here on CoachT will change that.

You may not say CPA had an advantage, but that would be out of your good sportsmanship by not making excuses, not out of your beliefs. If you support the TSSAA's decision on public v. private, you have to think private schools have and advantage.

Its absolutely ridiculous to think that any DI private school has an advantage in recruiting over a public school. In my opinion, private schools have, in general, more motivated athletes and better allure for coaches and thats why theyre good. Its absurd to think that a team like CPA is good because of recruiting.

Please, stop making excuses. When private schools are gone, all thats going to do is make it even harder for public schools to draw talent beacuse a split means all private schools can give scholarships, making it more likely an athlete will choose private.

Public schools are making things worse for themselves by trying to fix things the wrong way. Improve state schooling, dont remove the competition!

if you are a superior athlete in the Nashville area, please don't tell me that you would choose to go to fra or CPA or ncs just because they have such dominating athletic departments... because, wait a second, they don't... not compared to div II schools like BA and MBA or the greater nashville area public schools...

I find it laughable that you think that FRA doesn't have a dominate athletic program. And I think that my laughter is justified when you look at the 4 or 5 (I lost count) state championship rings on coasterboarder's fingers...or the 3 on mine...or the 4 rings that my older brother has...shall I continue?

Edited by KGP3428

Where I am from, the public schools can't "develop" players from other areas without them sitting out for a year. On the other hand, if you put a private school in the area, any student may go whereever to attend, if they can afford the tuition. :( To say that the private schools do not have an advantage is ludicrous. I am not against the private schools being able to do this, its' just a fact of life, that the ones that have the money, also have the power. I'm not upset with CPA, DCA, JCS, LMS, or anybody else. I think those students are probably getting a better regimented education without the intrusion of government dictating their curricula, in regards to religion, etc.. I think all of the teams going into this tournament are worthy of being there. I don't particularly feel this applies to the girls' side of tournament, as much as it does the boys' side. Good luck to all next week!

coasterboarder,

your statements are based on facts and reasonable thinking. 99% of people who are anti private schools are not capable of doing that. This is simply because if you look at fact and reasonable thinking, what they say is garbage. That is harsh I know, but hey, the truth hurts. Anyway, your posts are great along with KPs.