Best Players in East Tennessee

shaggy22

Who are the best in East Tennessee in the past few years and today? Please only list the players who are legit. I will be favoring southest Tenn. so I will need help on Knoxville and north. I am trying to list the players who were outstanding high school and had good college careers or are having good college careers.

Past

Chad Copeland--Bradley Central(Flor. St--UTC)

Josh Hare--Bradley Central(Appy. St.--Samford)

Ronnie McMahan--McMinn County(Vandy)

Darnell Mee--Cleveland(Western Kentucky)

Vincent Yarbourogh--Cleveland(UTK)

Malcom Mackey--Brainerd(Ga. Tech)

Jay Price--Brainerd(UTK)

Aaron Green--Sweetwater(UTK)

Present

Justin Hare--Bradley Central

Kellen Pickel--Bradley Central

Charles Little--Cleveland

Help me with the other areas, but all of these guys the best I have ever seen put on a high school uniform was Chad Copeland.

i will tell you their have been some great players at Clinton

Toree Morris( Pittsburgh) senior right now

Dedrick Dye took the Wagoner Seahawks to their first NCAA tournament appearance last year and graduated

Jermaine Shepard had offers to Ohio State U. but i dont think his grades qualified

Present

Mykail Vibbert (UNC Asheville Signee)

Tevah Morris looking at Appy St. or U Wisc. GB

AJ Freeman i believe is looking at Austin Peay

Y'all need to go back a little further to find one of the best if not THE best ever in not just East Tennessee but all of Tennessee.

A.W. Davis lit up teams in the late 50s and early 60s (years before the 3-pointer) for Rutledge. His career avg. was 32/ppg and his best season was scoring over 1,300 for a 35/ppg averaga in a season. He finished with over 3,000 for his career and was an All-American in high school and went on to be an All-American at UT. He could shoot it inside and outside.

They built the present-day gym at Rutledge just to have enough room for folks to come for all over this end of the state to watch him work. The old gym at the old high school, now home to the GCEA offices, was even smaller than the current gym, but more than enough at that time to accomodate fans to see the rail-thin 6-7 gunner they called "The Man with the Golden Arm."

These are the guys I can think of from East Tennessee who played or are playing Division I.

John Caylor - Morristown West (Auburn)

Elston Turner -Austin-East (Ole Miss & NBA career)

Micah Marsh - Alcoa (Arkansas State)

Travis Stinnett - Alcoa (Alabama)

Shane Williams - Science Hill (Tennessee)

Rob Williams - Science Hill (Western Kentucky)

Damon Johnson - Science Hill (Tennessee)

Josh Hare - Bradley Central (Samford)

Halston Lane - Oak Ridge (UNC-Wilmington)

Marty Story - Greeneville (ETSU)

Ryan Lawson - Cherokee (ETSU)

John Johnson - Bearden (Maryland)

Lee Humphrey - Maryville (Florida)

Doug Roth - Karns (Tennessee)

Travis Henry - Karns (Tennessee)

Joey Brooks - Karns (Furman)

Mark Poag - South-Doyle (Old Dominion)

Rob Jones - Austin-East (Tennessee)

I would add a couple of players from the Chattanooga area, past.

Porter Roberts - CSAS & Purdue

Orlando Lightfoot - Chattanooga City & Idaho, still playing in Europe, had an amazing rivalry with Malcolm Mackey during prep career. Grades kept him from getting into a bigger school.

Chris Baker - McMinn Co. & UNC- Charlotte, was the top scorer in MCHS history before Ronnie McMahan

Jake Skogan - Temple & currently at Mercer, an all-around player who makes his teammates better

Rich Burns - Cleveland & ended up at UTC, played at Cleveland at the same time as Mee, deadly 3-point shooter

Edited by thorough97

I would add a couple of players from the Chattanooga area, past.

Porter Roberts - CSAS & Purdue

Orlando Lightfoot - Chattanooga City & Idaho, still playing in Europe, had an amazing rivalry with Malcolm Mackey during prep career. Grades kept him from getting into a bigger school.

Chris Baker - McMinn Co. & UNC- Charlotte, was the top scorer in MCHS history before Ronnie McMahan

Jake Skogan - Temple & currently at Mercer, an all-around player who makes his teammates better

Rich Burns - Cleveland & ended up at UTC, played at Cleveland at the same time as Mee, deadly 3-point shooter

You mentioned some great ones I forgot about. Burns would kill you from outside. Hard to believe that Mee and Burns were on the same team. Best high school game I ever witnessed was in winter of 1989. Cleveland beats Bradley at Bradley on a Chris Parks three with no time left from about 30 ft. Copeland, Mee and Burns all on the floor.