GIBSON COUNTY COACH?

puckett10

if my memory serves me right the "best coach in high school" called 1 timeout against livingston, whats up with that? you are losing the whole game and you call 1 timeout...I just dont think thats good coaching. and im positive that he never got up out of his seat..the entire game...and to my view, the asst. coach done most of the coaching...or did i just have a bad seat????? on the first row...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, this person hasn't had the opportunity to witness the coaching style of one David Russell.. :D It's tough to question coaching methods of someone who has won hundreds and hundereds of high school basketball games and state championships to boot with outstanding girls teams.. :o His record in coaching speaks for itself.. ;)

I saw the same guy sitting on the bench calmly while Bradford was ripping through the single A tournaments for several years.. His teams were as well prepared as any I have ever witnessed at MTSU.

Some coaches are not caught up in the histrionics and showmanship of others. Some realize that games are almost always won or lost in practice. Not on game nights. Bob Knight uses few timeouts. Perhaps he believes it gives a lesser prepared team a chance to make last second adjustments.

How anybody can get on here and bash Coach Russell is beyond my thinking. Unless it is motivated by jealousy. Just curious, what was Gibson County's program like before he arrived?

Trust me. I don't have a dog in this fight, and barely know the man. But I can recognize quality coaching.

It is fairly easy to win when you always have the best players. How many Miss Basketball winners did Bradford have over the years? A lot more than most West Tennessee teams have had over the years. Coach Russell has been fortunate to be coaching the right teams at the right time.

If you want to see what a coach can do, look at McNairy's Jerry Lott. He has coached for over 25-years and has never had a 1,000-point scorer. He is the best girls coach in West Tennessee.

puckett..i would really love to see u coach a state tournament between some of the best teams in the state..i highly doubt ud know what u were doing..david russell has nearly 900 wins and maybe 100 losses in his coaching career how can u say he is not a good coach...u have to be crazy if u think hes not a good coach. and its not always the players either.

Pucket...you got to be kidding me??? Do you know anything about Coach Russell. This one does not even need time wasted on a reply...do me a favor and check his record. He probably has forgotten more about basketball than me and you and anyone else that reads coacht threads...

His style is like what salty said...games are not won or lost during the game, but through practice. His players know what to do before the game begins...they just have to execute.

YOUR RIGHT SPORTSRADIOTN....THIS ONE SHOULD GET A PHD. paaaaleeeessse!

GO GC!

Coach Russell maybe got of his seat maybe 5 times throughout the year. It wasn't cus they was losing but because they turned the ball over on an easy pass or sumin....if they didn't exucute in the game but still win by 20....he will yell and scream at them after the game to make them do better and he punishes them the next day.....trust me i go to the school

if my memory serves me right the "best coach in high school" called 1 timeout against livingston, whats up with that? you are losing the whole game and you call 1 timeout...I just dont think thats good coaching. and im positive that he never got up out of his seat..the entire game...and to my view, the asst. coach done most of the coaching...or did i just have a bad seat????? on the first row...

you might want to read what you posted then..."you are loosing the game and you call 1 timeout...I just dont think thats good coaching.

I am not trying to be negative, but if you check out how many games and championships he has won, his style must work. LA just outplayed the Pioneers in that game. Our team knew what to do, they just could not execute and get it done in my opinion.