AAA officiating

Libertyfan

Where are they getting the officials for this game? I am listening to a radio broadcast of this game and the announcers can't comment enough on how LOUSY the officiating in this game is for BOTH teams.

It is ashame that the officials won't let the players play, especially in a championship game.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one to blame officials on a regular basis, but after watching the Rhea County-Wilson Central game on Thursday I must say that I saw the worst officiating I have seen in a basketball game on any level in my entire life. A charge would be called on one play, then the exact same play would happen a few minutes later and it was a block. And I'm not saying that all the bad calls went against the Eagles either, because Wilson Central had some tough calls go against them. Pitiful calls actually. I guess I always thought that as you went deeper into the playoffs, you saw better officiating. The saddest thing about it was that Zach Hyatte,arguably our best player, could never get into a flow because every time he did anything he was whistled for a foul. I realize this game happened 3 days ago, and I wasn't going to say anything about it...but after seeing this thread I couldn't resist.

Its not my fault.....just relaying what can happen....I don't make the rules

Disagreeing with a call or two is fine. But saying the refs stink, etc.......can get the individual broadcasters in trouble

In fact, I recall a situation where a guy was very critical of the officials, and then said something to them about it following the game - off air.....

He is no longer allowed to broadcast TSSAA basketball.

I'm under the assumption that was a regular season basketball game......but even for state games, you have to apply to the association for credentials.

Mistakes should be brought to the listeners attention.......but getting personal (which could include the "officials stink") - will draw some possible attention from the TSSAA....

GoldenEagle11

looking from an unbiased opinion.....it seems your opinion is somewhat biased

The calls are judgement calls. The officials are doing the job to the best of their ability

I suggest if you can do better that you call up your local Association President. They sorely need officials in the state.

Because of the shortage, there are some older folks, who have had to stay in it to help keep the thing rolling. Because if they quit, the shortage is worse. And, I think its next year, EVERY game must be a 3 man crew, not just district games.......so that will only increase the shortages......

I don't disagree with your points. I know the announcer who was doing the game, and I don't believe that he would say anything that was not true.

The question that I would like to ask is how are officials assigned for the state championship tournament? It would seem that in the state championship game you would assign your very best officials. From what I listened to, that was definately not the case.

The announcers I listened to said that people all up and down press row thought that much of the officiating was very poor throughout the entire tournament.

Maybe the TSSAA should go back to grading the officials during the regular season and in district, region, and sub state play. Then, they should assign officials who had the highest scores to work the state championship tournament. The teams have to earn the right to play in the state tournament. I also think that the officials should earn the right to officiate at the state tournament. Whatever system the TSSAA is using now is not producing the best officials for the championship games.

as far as selection. I have no idea. I do agree with the grading

As far as the comments. I have no problem with a Radio or Print guy pointing out an officials mistake (especially if a lot of the crowd notices)

IE on the radio "Team A has dribbled the ball cross court.........Player X driving in for a layup, its in........whistle........and the officials have called an offensive foul. Well, honestly........Mr Color Commentator, I really don't know about that call."

If its in print, I think it should be phrased as "The momentum of the game really turned when the official waved off a basket, in favor of an offensive foul, a call the (Insert Team Nickname here) coaching staff seemed to disagree with."

Officials are only human, they should be held accountable - but not bashed in the press. They don't win or lose the games.

As for poor officiating.......its been subpar throughout this entire regular season. Frosh/JV/Varsity.......so that leaves a very small pool to select from.

I also think the officiating was bad in the state tourney but, your seasons are over except the state champions and their is nothing you can do about it, whining wont help anything, our teams just lost and mine was one of them, the officials did bad in our game i think but i know it wouldnt have overturned the 15 point loss, could have been worse. But just be thankful that your team was in the GREAT 8 in Murfreesboro because only 8 out of over prob 200 (just an estimate) get their in each class every year.