There should be 5 Classifications

Wululu

Has anybody noticed there is a huge gap between AA and AAA? 429-990 is a huge gap. I think something should be done about this, to make the classifications more competitive and to make it more fair for the smaller schools.

A - 400 and below

AA- 401-750

AAA - 751-1100

AAAA - 1100 and up

D II - I think it should stay the same, although I know some of you may say all private schools should be put into D II.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would defeat the whole purpose of making teams work to get to Murfreesboro. By making 2 new classes, you are making the other 3 smaller, therefore, making it easier to get to Murfreesboro.

I think that may be the whole point. It let's the schools with 400 to 500 students have a chance at state.

I like this idea, although I disagree with some of the numbers and I don't think there should be a D-II. D-II is crazy...

You'll like the idea if you are in a small school in your classification, if you go to a big school for you classification then you'll hate it, because it just makes it that much more competitive for you because there are no small schools.

I'm surprised the T$$AA hasn't caught onto this yet, seeing how it would make them a lot more money...

I don't like this idea. Fact is that there are only 12-15 guys on a basketball team, this makes it easier for smaller schools to compete w/ larger schools. A class system is needed in sports like football. That was evident this year when defending A champion CPA got killed by AAAAA state runner-up Riverdale.

Also, I think adding another class would water basketball down. Look at Kentucky. There is no class system and as recently as 1996 Paintsville (enrollment 260) won a state championship in basketball.

Also, I think adding another class would water basketball down.  Look at Kentucky.  There is no class system and as recently as 1996 Paintsville (enrollment 260) won a state championship in basketball.

I think this is a great idea. I was at the State Championship yesterday and Bolivar had more fans there than we have in our whole county, yet we are in the same division.

This wouldn't make it easier for smaller schools to compete with bigger schools, only easier for smaller schools to play with smaller schools. The smaller schools wouldn't even be playing the bigger schools in the post-season. There would be no regions with a few schools dominating year after year because they have 950 students, while the other schools have 450.

It would also make it even tougher for the big schools in easy regions to get to state year after year.

I'm sure that's happened at least once in every state's history, but it doesn't happen often.

BTW the population of TN is way bigger than KY, a class system is not needed there yet.

Edited by soccerchick

Tennessee is bigger by about 1 million people, not that much. BTW, Ashland Blazer has the most chapmionships in KY and is annually competeing to make KY's sweet 16 and would be in class AA in Tennessee.

Tennesse is ranked 16th in population and Kentucky is ranked 26th. A million people is A LOT.

That's good for them....I'm sure that they would be around the AA/AAA line too. There are a lot of AA teams in TN like MLK and Bolivar that can easily compete with AAA teams, then there are the small AA teams that can't.

This would make TN Basketball more competitive because it would make the big AA schools that dominate AA have to compete with AAA schools. It would also let the small schools with around 500 students actually get to the state tournament....something that they cannot do at the present moment. I think the T$$AA should do something about this before next season.