Is this the most talent ever in West TN?

VolunteerGeneral

First of all let me state I`m talking of only rural West TN, so don`t even bring up Shelby County players.

There are lot`s of talented players in west TN right now...Kemp, Lake, Chism, Delk, and Delk are probably the best. I`m wondering how they compare to several years back when West TN had another fine group of players. I remember when Tony Delk (Haywood County), Steve Hamer (all 7 feet of him from Middleton) Stanley Caldwell (Union City) and Kirk Goerhing (Northside) were all in the same class from West TN. That was some talent!!!

Delk signed with Kentucky

Hamer signed with Tennessee

Caldwell signed with Tennessee

Goerhing signed with LSU

As for one class I think that one was the best ever in West TN.

Keep in mind that The Delk twins are juniors and Kemp and Chism are sophomores. I can`t remember a time when there has been so much talent in West TN as there is right now, but the best overall class was when Tony Delk wa a senior.

VolunteerGeneral? Are you a JCM grad---or current student. I graduated form there in 1990.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volunteer,

This is a good post but you information is not exactly right.  All of the guys that you named were not in the same classification or district.  I know because I played against all of these guys but Stanley Caldwell.  But I did see him play and later went to college with him.  Delk was in AAA, Steve Hamer was in A, Stanley Caldwell was in AA, and Goerhing was also in AAA and was in the same district with Haywood.  These were some very good basketball players.  You forgot to mention that JCM had a seven footer, Albert Bond, at that time that went on to play at Tennessee State for a while. 

In reference to the other Delk that plays for Haywood, his name is Leslie Delk and he is also Tony's nephew.

tomcatfan...when I said "one single class", I was referring to graduation year and not classification. In other words the class of 96, or the class of 92. If I`m not mistaken all the kids I mentioned graduated the same year.

There are several good prospects playing right now in West TN, but they vary as to what year they are in high school. I was pointing out that I thought the kids I mentioned comprised the best senior class of bsketball talent that I can remember. I forgot about Bond. Did he graduate the same year as the others?

I remember seeing them play in a tournament played at Union University. All those teams were in that tournament. It was a showcase of talent.

Edited by VolunteerGeneral

Volunteer,

This is a good post but you information is not exactly right. All of the guys that you named were not in the same classification or district. I know because I played against all of these guys but Stanley Caldwell. But I did see him play and later went to college with him. Delk was in AAA, Steve Hamer was in A, Stanley Caldwell was in AA, and Goerhing was also in AAA and was in the same district with Haywood. These were some very good basketball players. You forgot to mention that JCM had a seven footer, Albert Bond, at that time that went on to play at Tennessee State for a while.

In reference to the other Delk that plays for Haywood, his name is Leslie Delk and he is also Tony's nephew.

In fact Hamer, Caldwell, & Delk swept the Mr. Basketball awards for rural West Tennessee that year. Quite a feat.

Volunteer,

You didnt think anybody knew about A.B. did you? LOL I thought when you said class you were talking about basketball class. All of those guys did graduate in 92. I played against them when I went to school at Ripley High.

Did you play in 89-90? That was my SR year (and Mr. Bond's SO). Y'all swept us---then again, we got beat a LOT that year!

Yeah I played then that was my Jr. year. We had a pretty good team that year. I think we went 21-8 and made it to the regional tournament.

well----you beat the crap out of us that year, then.

Did you guys play Hardin Co? Corrie Johnson was a monster FR my SR year!