• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will stick around to get the record. Plus, judging by last night's game, he may reach it in two seasons - if people pitch to him. I'm not convinced that Bonds used steroids. He doesn't have some of the physical characteristics that are associated with steroid use. Yes, he is bigger than he was just six or seven years ago, but that can be from any of the other products that are legal to help build mass.

One that I believe has used steroids is Sammy Sosa. He has some of the signs of past use.

Agreed! It doesn't matter how strong you may be, you still have to be able to hit the ball. Bonds, in the last five years, may be the best I've seen at hitting in my lifetime. In that span, he has become the most dangerous player to hold a bat. I go back to around 1971 watching baseball and can't remember a player to dominate as well as he has the past few years. I can't speculate on Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Cobb, Mantle, Williams, Mays and others...I didn't see them play.

There have been great hitters - average and power - in my lifetime like Yaz, Brett, Mattingly and a few others, but they were pitched to more regularly than Bonds.

Albert Pujols has the chance to become a player on the level of Bonds, but we need to give him about four more years to see if he keeps up the pace he has set the past three years.

Personally, I believe the greatest hitter to ever play the game was Lou Gehrig. To put up the numbers the Iron Horse did while hitting behind Ruth was nothing short of incredible.

On another Barry Bonds subject: If Bonds had used the same approach to publicity that Jordan did, he would be a universal star. But because he wanted privacy - and who can blame him - he has been labeled by the national media as a smug individual and that has hurt his reputation.

Edited by sportsradiotn

Henry Aaron is my favorite player of all time so I have admit it would not break my heart if Bonds does not reach the record. However if he does records were made to be broken. And I have to feel for Bonds the way people pitch around him so much. To do what he has done the past few years with the minimal amount of decent pitches he sees is amazing. As far as steroids who knows? He was skinny as a rail when he first came up with the Pirates but legitimate weight traning over the years could be the answer. And I would not want to see anyone get accused of something like that without proof. My Dad use to take me to Atlanta and see Aaron play. I got to see him and the late great Willie Stargell both hit two out in one game. The game was a lot simpler then.

Bonds will break the record. He is juiced! Balco just happend to send him steriods and he just happend to not take them. Yeah right. Mays says he works out 8 hours a day. So one might say o well thats why hes so big. Well when i was talking to my trainer(a one time andro user) at my school about steroids and he said steriods just make it to where u can work out all day and never get tired or sore.

Sportsradiotn-Dont give me that crap about u still have to hit the ball. Steroids add bat speed, power, and helps muscel memory. Why do u think golfers are beefing up these days?

But what do i care im only a fan and bonds is the one that is gonna have to live with it the rest of his life. Bond's name should be moved from a list of Ruth and Aaron to Milly Vanilly!

Oh, please! Steroids are not the reason that Bonds is able to hit .340 every year. It may be a reason for helping him hit the ball as far as he does, but it is not the reason he makes contact on a consistant basis. If he is on steroids, it will help make him stronger and yes bat speed will increase with strength...but, you have to have the talent to hit see and hit the ball first. Anyone that has played the game knows this. You can't just give someone steroids and them they can magically hit the ball! That takes talent. I'm not saying that it hasn't helped him in his power numbers, I'm just saying that the talent has to be there first.

I don't know if Bonds is juiced or not, the gain in weight at his age is suspicious, but he is a great hitter none the less. If he sets the home run record, and he is found to be a steroid user, then his power records will be tarnished.

You are right, he'll have to live with it in the future. As will Sammy Sosa, Jason Giambi and a few others. Take a look at Sosa when he was with the Rangers and the White Sox, he was skinny and now he's the hulk. Sosa has already been caught cheating once and it wouldn't suprise me if he is caught again.