wide fields

baroque

There are only what, about 5 in the state? Are these really fair for schools to have? Playing on a football field is way different than playing on these wide fields and it shows that the players who play on the football field are usually confused on what to do, so are they fair?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? That's like saying, 10 foot basketball goals, are the fair? Playing on a football field is not fair. Soccer is designed to be played on a proper size (wide) field. Playing on a football field is distinctly UNfair, especially to the better teams with more skilled and faster players. Having room to operate is part of the game.

I think TSSAA should set a standard size field and make every soccer school obey it. I realize that some schools can't afford it but if they attempted to raise money or build one, they might find it easier than they think to get a proper size field. I just think they should be all about the same size. It's unfair for those teams that practice and play their home games on wide fields and then play another team on a smaller field b/c they are use to playing the wider game and approach the game differently.

Edited by stephenzca

Wide feilds are fair because they are allowed by Fifa mandated rules... I think we all know that soccer is better on a very wide field. anyone who prefers a thin or short field probably does so because they (more to the point their team) is not skillful enough to know what to do with a large or as i like to call it, proper pitch.

Soccer was made for wide fields. Just because your team plays on a football field, doesn't mean we should all have to suffer. This is got tob e one of the stupidest questions ever. Football fields are narrow and allow for teams that aren't nearly as good to play with much better teams. It is much easier to adjust to a wider field than it is to a narrow, I would love to go from playing in a tiny space to having a whole lotta room.

First, thankfully, there are a lot more than 5 properly sized fields in the state and , hopefully, more are on the way. Of course proper fields are "fair". Good players adapt to the size of the grid they have to use; however, any good player would far prefer to play on larger fields rather than slamming the ball down the middle or over the midfield. Football fields are a necessity in high school soccer, but they unfairly neutralize the effectiveness of better players by restricting space.