Blackman Baseball

coach's #1fan

In the wake of the events that have happened over the last couple of weeks concerning Coach Greene and the Blackman baseball team, I feel the need to respond to a group of people who have caused tremendous pain and suffering. I usually don't visit this site. I've known too many people, including kids, who have been hurt by things posted here, but I felt the need to reach you in a way that you would understand.

First of all, let me say that I realize that there are a few of you who stood for truth and decency. For that, I know you will be blessed, and for that , I am deeply appreciative.

I have been raised with Christian values. I thought many of you had, as well. I guess that's why I have trouble understanding how you could respond in the ways you have.You have seized an opportunity to express your grievance in a manner that shows no regard for another human being's life or reputation-A human being that many of you called "friend."

Most of what you have spread across the state is not the truth. Your administration knows this. But, the media loves to report the bad (with the exception of one very good man in th local news'sports department who attempted to find the truth.)

Your coach has sacrificed much of his life for his players and his sport. (Since this happened, he has actually been able to celebrate a birthday, have real dinners in the evening, and spend more time with his own family.) He has stood up for your children, watched after them, supported them in their other activities and hobbies and loved them. He has stepped in and paid for things out of his own pocket for some of you when times were tough. He has taken several on college visits on his own time. The list could go on and on. Many of you have had things done for you that you will never even know.

I personally have sacrificed much of my own time so that your children could have it. And, I have cheered for them and loved them.

I hope you have found some "justice" because we are still looking for it.

But, we feel confident that the Lord will sustain us in our trials.

I would like to share a few things with others, however:

To Doug: You have handled this situation with tremendous faith and forgiveness towards others. I hope I can do the same.

To other coaches: I work with many of you. I know of the sacrifices you make on a daily basis and of all the things you do for your kids. Any compensation you may receive is not enough for the work you do, the long hours, the hassles you encounter, and the lessons you teach.

To coaches' families: It's not always easy. You make sacrifices as well, and often have to sit in the stands and listen to unkind comments about your loved one whenever someone doesn't agree with a decision or things don't go just right. My prayer is that you will never have to go thru what we have, but, if you do, know that you are not alone.

To parents: Please know that coaches have to make decisions based on the whole team and not an individual. Also, know that if you have a problem, the appropriate and responsible way to handle it is first through the coach and , if needed, through the school's administrators. Too often, our children are learning that it doesn't matter what I do to others as long as I get my way.

To players: Your coaches don't do this for the money- there's not much in it. They coach because they care about the sport and about kids. Sometimes they have to discipline. It doesn't mean they don't like you- it means they want you to be the best you can be.

To those just browsing the posts: Don't believe everything you hear and read. We know this lesson the hard way.

To the many who have called, written or approached us to express support and encouragement: From time to time, things happen that cause us to lose faith and trust in the human race. Then God sends people like you to restore it. Most people don't know who their true friends are- we do. We love you all.

Many of you, I'm sure,are reading this with a calloused heart and probably a chuckle, imagining yourself winning some dirty game. However, there are no winners here. But I have to believe that some of you have good hearts. To you I say that I am trying very hard to forgive. Though you've changed our lives forever, I have faith it will be for the better.

Psalm 41

Isaiah 40:31

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

I truly believe that GOD has a plan for Coach Greene. Sometimes you have to go thru intense suffering to arrive at GOD'S destination for you. Coach Greene will be a better man for this strife in his life.He will realize that later.

People don't realize that innocent familes sometimes suffer needlessly b/c someone else is trying to protect their family. I think some self-evaluation is absolutely necessary to the Blackman parents and players. They may think they got a victory in this one, but actually suffered a huge loss.

#1 fan, hang in there. GOD is always there to help you thru. Thanks for sharing your strength.

Coach's#1Fan,

As a casual browser, I can assure you that many of us were concerned about the events at Blackman. Everyone I talked to, though, seemed to feel the same way: Coach Greene is a good guy and several people associated with the baseball team aren't happy about the team's performance. Guess they gotta blame someone, huh? It's amazing how good a coach is when his players are winning and how sorry he becomes when they lose.

On a personal note, I hope your family puts these unfortunate events behind them as soon as possible. It's hard right now but will just be another bump in the road in 5 yrs. I wish you the best.

I have followed this story in the news and here on CoachT. I have no connection to Blackman. I live in West TN. My son graduated last year, so he no longer plays high basbeall. I just wanted to say that this whole story has really bothered me from the beginning. I was appalled at the parents in that booster club! Speaking on the news, their kids won't play is Coach Greene is back! I say, what kind of players are these? If that is the attitude they have, I would not want any of them on my team. All of the adults, parents, administration have taught them the lesson, that they can whine and complain and get what they want. Congratulations, people! You could have taught your sons such a valuable life lesson. If this coach puched or grabbed a player, if he then apologized, does he not get a chance? What about all the football coached I have seen grab a player off the field? Don't tell me you haven't seen it! You parents just wanted to get rid of a coach! I hope he will move on where he can be appreciated and I hope your booster club can find someone who will play all their kids and answer only them them!!!

Chris1,

Please don't criticize "all" us Blackman boosters/parents all the way from West Tn. You haven't been here. There were 5 kids that showed up on the day that the team was supposed to boycott Coach Greene and mine was one of them. My husband went to the school administration in support of Doug...probably the only parent. At least one other player supported Doug in the paper and there are other parents/bosters who support Doug now and will in the future, IF he comes back next year.

The majority of the boosters don't want Doug back (mostly the upperclassmen's parents) but please don't put us "all" in that category. There are plenty of freshmen, sophomore and juniors that want to play baseball and are trying to move past what happened.

Corleone,

I will not inculde you in my comments, but you were not on TV or the in the papers making comments about Coach Greene. I do wish someone would have stood up for him publicly. I know if I had not read some things on this site I may have not understood the lopsided version that I saw on TV. I would never bash a coach, under any circumstance, like what I heard. I may have disagreements with them, but I would never do that in the media! Just my opinion. I hope Coach Greene knows that there are people out there who do support him!

Thanks!

Guest region4fan

Ccorleone......thanks for having the guts to do what is fair. I am sorry that your son is being judged and chastised. As a kid, it takes a lot of courage to go against the grain. I know that you are proud of him. I hope his teammates are not making him pay for it.