A day in the life of a High School UMPIRE.

wad

You leave your wife, kids, and job around 3pm. Fight traffic to get to your game. Once there, most of the time you get dressed in the parking lot, trying to hide the fact you MUST put your cup in while many mothers are parking their cars and walking to the field. Your partner shows up. (you have called with him once) You have your pre-game and start to the field. On the way you pass fathers you went to high school with, coaches YOU coached in little league and kids you have watched play since T-Ball. After being advised your checks were not printed because the school secretary was out sick that day, you take the line ups, shake hands and begin the ball game. This is a District game, both teams from the same area. Billy, (who is pitching for team A) his dad was in your wedding. While Bob who is at the plate (team B, his mom works with your wife) Your focused on what your doing, you have been doing this for 20 years. But no matter what you call your going to be 50% wrong. You are going to be harassed, talked about, and called a cheat. All this for $55 a game (which you will have to chase down for three weeks) and guess what, you will be back tomorrow to start this all over again. Sometimes Umpires make bad mistakes and we sure hear about them. But we can never say. (man coach, why did you send that runner? call that Pitch? why did you not Bunt? and for Mom and Dad, (Why did he swing at that 58 foot curve ball,) then get called out on strikes on a fastball on the outside corner?) Next time you decide to jump on an umpire, THINK, I could be doing his job. It's all about the love of the game. And HIGH SCHOOL UMPIRES must love this game to put up with all this and still show up for your B-game and 3pm tomorrow. IMHO :D HOW ABOUT A BREAK.

Edited by wad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah me too... most umps umpire as a side job because they enjoy it and it isnt their main source of income. i ump little league which is probably worse about parents yelling than high school... but since wad wants us to cry for him how about we all pity him.... not! it isnt that bad or if you have been umpiring for a long time to not miss many or any calls... dont pity yourself!

yeah me too... most umps umpire as a side job because they enjoy it and it isnt their main source of income. i ump little league which is probably worse about parents yelling than high school... but since wad wants us to cry for him how about we all pity him.... not! it isnt that bad or if you have been umpiring for a long time to not miss many or any calls... dont pity yourself!

BIG Differance between umping high school ball and little league

wad, you cry me a river, i will build you a bridge so you can get over it. what can of post is this suspose to be a pity one? Heck 55 dollars a game for watching something that you love, it can't get any better. If you let parents get to you, then that is your problem but an umpire can't let that happen. You don't let your personal ties to anyone get in the way of the game. Quit your whining and just ump.