Popularity

Guest BIGRUSN

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I ever said about soccer was that college lacrosse games looked like a high school soccer game, and they do.

1. ball's small on a big field, can't follow it as a spectator or viewer on TV

2. all true lacrosse teams (MLL) are located in the NE

3. Long Island Lizards played in a high school stadium as long as TWO years ago

4. won't ever stand a chance in mid-west and majority of South-east

5. networks don't provide good enough coverage

6. limited to rich white kids

7. won't advace past high school game b/c high school players won't get offered schalarships

8. cost too much for colleges to invest in (ex. y most SEC schools don't have men's programs)

9. TITLE IX

10. TITLE IX

College lacrosse games draw about 1000 to 2000 on average. That includes some that have a few hundred, and some that have over 10000. I know, I've played in college.

1. The ball is bigger than a golf ball, and the same size as a hockey puck or baseball. They just use a closer camera angle.

2. Who cares where the teams are. They are still talented and fun to watch, which is why they are televised all over the country.

3. Baltimore Bayhawks play in Ravens stadium.

4. Teams from Brother Rice and Detroit Country Day (Michigan) and Upper Arlington and Dublin Sciotio (Ohio) are in the Top 25 National High School Polls almost every year and field several Div I signees every year, including several all-americans in college. MBA fielded a Div I all american goalie.

5. Networks really don't provide good coverage anywhere but up east, but it is getting better. Syracuse was featured on Sportcenter last week.

6. Kyle Harrison and John Christmas, both black, are currently stars in college, but it is a predominately white sport, just like golf. It's mainly an economic gap, and it is primarily played by wealthier people.

7. Most Div I schools offer between 6 and 12.5 scholarships, so about 50-70% of most Div I players have some money. Div II also offers scholarships.

8. Lax is no more expensive for colleges to invest in than baseball, hockey, or football. Money isn't an issue though. Most schools lose money on every sport except football. Only about 30 men's basketball teams in the NCAA make money, and less than five women't NCAA basketball teams make money for the school. Less than 5% of all golf, soccer, swimming, gymnastics, lacrosse, or hockey programs generate revenue for their school.

9. and 10. Title IX does play a major role in the lack of Men's lacrosse in the SEC, but isn't the only reason. It also affects Men's wrestling, soccer, and tennis at several schools.

Unanymous, if you don't have anything positive to say, why don't you just leave this board? No one has claimed that lacrosse was going to be the next football. No one on here has trashed golf or soccer. Golf is cool, but I wouldn't say it is the hardest sport to play. If it was, why so many pro athletes in other sports can pick it up so easily. Michael Jordan picked golf up a lot easier than baseball after retiring from basketball. John Daly is also one heck of an athlete. Anyway, if you don't have anything constructive to say, why not just leave this board alone. What school did you attend in long island?

never did a attend a school at long island, just spent two summers there at my sisters house. Michael Jordan is a 9 handicap in golf no where near even competitve with most high schoolers. John Daly is a good athlete, but hes played golf for decades and is blessed in the same all athletes are thats why he is competitive at the pro level. I think I have constructive things to say, I don't hate LAX just believe that it will not get big, ever. TITLE IX is a bad thing in my opionion and need seriously to be revised, and if so it will open the doors for more LAX, soccer, and other sports to have more men's scholarship where the talent level is much higher than that in wemon's sports, and there is more interest in men's sports. I just don't see LAX going anywhere and you thread was about its popularity and i gave my opinion.

What do you think the most skillful sport is anyway zizou

Its hard to say one sport is the most skilled. Every sport has their unique difficult situations. Hitting a good curve ball is harder than hitting a good golf shot (before unanymous attacks me on this it is based on having played both sports). I've played many different sports and if you wanna know my own personal feelings I would have to go with soccer simply becuase hand-eye coordination comes more naturally than foot-eye coordination, again this is just my opinion.

Nice try guys but I play golf, which was the only sport I've mentioned, which is the most watched, most played, and most skillful sport there is. The problem with lacrosse and why it will never catch on big is

7. won't advace past high school game b/c high school players won't get offered schalarships

8. cost too much for colleges to invest in (ex. y most SEC schools don't have men's programs)

9. TITLE IX

10. TITLE IX

OK, we get it. You don't think lax is great. Fine by me, and I'm sure others here. Your list of "why lax will never catch on" is pretty laughable though. All "true" lacrosse teams in the NE? I bet you're one of those, "all good football is in the SEC." While I love SEC football and think the conference is the best top to bottom, I don't think it's the only true place where college football is played. Limited to rich white kids? Predominately white, sure. Limited to rich kids, you're on shaky ground. I guess it's unlike golf which has long been reputed as "the sport of the poor and minorities." Tell Tiger, Vijay, and the handful of other minorities that golf isn't predominately white. And while your at it, tell the destitute Namibian kid (remember, it's the most played) that all he needs is that mid-range set of Pings, a bag, balls, tees, shoes and that's right, a freaking golf course in the heart of the desert and he can be the apple of the world's eye. My guess is, that kid, only has access to a beat up ball and a makeshift goal. Soccer is the most popular worldwide sport for a reason. It's most accessible to all. Golf most difficult? Now that's a debate worth having.

Guest BIGRUSN

Theres no reason why Lax cant catch on in the mid west. your only saying that because it hasnt. Im sure just like other places in the US they will pick it up, some will play, others wont. thats how it is wherever lacrosse is played. its teh same with every sport. We all play lacrosse, that doesnt mean that football, golf soccer, etc isnt played. Theres enough players to play every sport, and im sure some everywhere will chose lacrosse once they have the chance to.

9. TITLE IX

10. TITLE IX

1. Hockey, Baseball, Golf

2. I still watch them on TV in Tennessee

3. Most play in pro/college stadiums

4. Fastest growing sport in southeast

5. Fox sports net, espn2

6. I forgot golf is for people in the ghetto

7. Over 50 DI programs and 30 DII who offer scholarships and I got offered one myself

8. Same cost as other programs

9. Women stink

10.Vote Bush

zizou you ever watched or been in tough situation in golf golf's the hardest for these reasons

1. no course the same

2. no one to lean on or pass the ball too

3. no lie is ever the same

4. real golf has no mulligans, you play your bad shots

5. you don't play against 1 opponent, try 143 others

6. only .2 % of golfers every shoot an even par round

7. only.1 % of golfers are considered scratch (handicap)

8. no such thing as a pure natural, sure some have talent, but it took Tiger years before he got his swing where he wanted it

9. no one has a perfect swing, Tiger's swing has shown its no where near perfect

10. there has NEVER been a perfect round of golf and there never will be.

Golf Part II

Vijay Singh, now that's an athelete, Golf is not the toughest sport, that is why so many atheletes take it up as a hobby and are pretty good. It does require the most patience but only .2% of golfers shoot par. Well, only .2% of atheletes play pro ball in any other sport. It took years for Jordan his junior year to make his high school basketball team. Golf was made not to be perfect. You'll also never see lacrosse perfectly played or it would be 0-0 forever.

This is my opinion that I am entitled to. I play lacrosse so I am bias, you play golf so you are bias.

Title IX is gay. Women's sports aren't real.

Guest BIGRUSN

No sport is ever played perfectly. Thats impossible, and if it was possible, no one would watch. Just because your alone doesnt make it harder. In lacrosse your alone playing one on one with the man, but you have to get a certain camaraderie with your team so you can know where they are, what they're doing, thats not easy. Each sport has its challenges in a different feild. If they didnt, there would only be one sport.

i agree with Imrightyourewrong on this completely, yea you will say your sport is the hardest or the best sport if you play it. i play golf, yea i am pretty bad, but i also now one of the top players in ten. or was and he doesnt talk about golf like you do he jokes around about him playing it. also the reason golf is soo big is b/c everyone over 55 has to play, it is gov. rule and if you dont you will be sent to florida where you bake your self to a nice golden brown. all i have to say is that lacrosse is the best sport b/c not everyone knows what it is. i dont know about yall but i have been places were no one knew what lacrosse was, they had no idea what is was, thats why it is still a growing sport.