McGavock football

gopher15

I agree with nununu, unless you get a guy with the resume of Ron Aydelott or Maurice Fitzgerald, you're way better off getting a young coach or one out of the Metro system. A lot of these Metro "re-tread" coaches all seem to be stale in their approaches to the game. Spears, who I think is a darn good football coach and a better guy, had some struggles record-wise in his head coaching career at Stratford. Buddy Brown is a solid coach also, but his record was pretty up and down at Antioch (every other year had solid teams) and Hillsboro (pretty average there). Arcentae Broome is a good "long term" hire for McGavock. He'll have growing pains, sure, but its not like McGavock was winning football games in the recent past anyways. They have nothing to lose with this hire. If I'm Mike Tribue, I'm looking 3-4 years down the road with that program. I just think Metro schools need an influx of new coaching ideas and talent. Arcentae fits that bill. Mike Tribue still has to answer for how Scott Smith (no matter how some of you feel about him, he's the best offensive football mind in the midstate, probably ever) doesn't get that job last year, because he wanted it. He would have 100% changed Metro football. Give him the McGavock job and the squad count would have increased and the kids would have been excited about playing in that type of offense.

Amen to that! Youth rules, give Arcentae the chance, it will pay off in the future, not only for McGavock, but for other schools who see their coaches getting around retirement age and need to find younger guys to run their programs.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with nununu, unless you get a guy with the resume of Ron Aydelott or Maurice Fitzgerald, you're way better off getting a young coach or one out of the Metro system. A lot of these Metro "re-tread" coaches all seem to be stale in their approaches to the game. Spears, who I think is a darn good football coach and a better guy, had some struggles record-wise in his head coaching career at Stratford. Buddy Brown is a solid coach also, but his record was pretty up and down at Antioch (every other year had solid teams) and Hillsboro (pretty average there). Arcentae Broome is a good "long term" hire for McGavock. He'll have growing pains, sure, but its not like McGavock was winning football games in the recent past anyways. They have nothing to lose with this hire. If I'm Mike Tribue, I'm looking 3-4 years down the road with that program. I just think Metro schools need an influx of new coaching ideas and talent. Arcentae fits that bill. Mike Tribue still has to answer for how Scott Smith (no matter how some of you feel about him, he's the best offensive football mind in the midstate, probably ever) doesn't get that job last year, because he wanted it. He would have 100% changed Metro football. Give him the McGavock job and the squad count would have increased and the kids would have been excited about playing in that type of offense.

OK, you have some good points, but Scott Smith would get killed at Mcgavock in their region, just like Armstrong did. He was Brown's offensive coordinator during those lean years at Antioch that you mentioned, then he got Greenbrier, lost, and was ran off, returned to Antioch with Brown. Antioch was much better when Brown ran his own offense after Smith left. Smith only won when he had 5A talent competing against 1A schools.

Spears would be a good pick for changing the players work ethic and attitudes. Broome would be a good pick for getting more kids involved in the program and bringing a frsh approach.

Tribue will decide which he feels will benefit his school more. We'll all know soon, they are interviewing now.

Good point trojan 01, only Aydelott, Fitzgerald, and a couple of others who have reached the pinnacle of high school football in Tennessee, should be considered the "Cream of the Crop". With the way regions are set up, most teams can possibly have winning seasons at 6-4 year after year, but is that the benchmark for calling coaches great. Developing character in young men, putting them in the best possible situation to go to college athletically and academically, and coaching kids to Championship seasons is what should be the measuring stick for considering a coach to be "GREAT".

TheMummy, I disagree with you on your Scott Smith take. He lost as a coordinator at Antioch because he was "force fed" to run Buddy Brown's offense with one or two wrinkles of his own. I knew a lot of the kids over there at the time (being crosstown rivals, they were a few years ahead of me) and he had the QB's to run his system in those lean years, he just didn't get the head coach to completely buy in. As a matter of fact, they were only together there two years and the kids that played there in the mid to late-1990's will tell you that Scott Smith had a huge role, along with Buddy Brown, in that program turning the corner. Greenbriar is a pretty tough job, although the Herndon kid obviously has raised them to another level and he went to the playoffs there without the personnel to run his system. Trust me, let Scott Smith coach at an inner-city school like McGavock for 3-5 years and you would have a MORE REFINED Memphis Melrose. The athletes are there in droves and they'll play for a gunslinger like Scott Smith, whereas, they don't see the excitement for running the veer all day long. Those kids love that vertical, stretch the field offense. All he would need is a hard nosed defensive coordinator, much like Spurrier did, to raise the level of play on that side of the ball. Not to say there wouldn't be growing pains, but I think he would be very successful. I think he's taking a bigger risk at Independence than he would at a McGavock.

OK, you have some good points, but Scott Smith would get killed at McGavock in their region, just like Armstrong did. He was Brown's offensive coordinator during those lean years at Antioch that you mentioned, then he got Greenbrier, lost, and was ran off, returned to Antioch with Brown. Antioch was much better when Brown ran his own offense after Smith left. Smith only won when he had 5A talent competing against 1A schools.

Spears would be a good pick for changing the players work ethic and attitudes. Broome would be a good pick for getting more kids involved in the program and bringing a frsh approach.

Tribue will decide which he feels will benefit his school more. We'll all know soon, they are interviewing now.

Mummy, which by the way is a funny name, I think you are right. People in Metro have to connect with the kids. Doesn't matter Broome has the job. :blink:

Mc9, Brown is now the offensive coordinator at Hunters Lane. They put up impressive numbers offensively last season. And after Smith left, didn't Antioch go 10-0 with Brown calling his own offense? I didn't intend to put Smith down, just saying that his success was based more on WHO was in his offense, not WHAT they were doing. As for Hillwood, who did they beat. They play in a region where only Hillsboro is a quality team, and Hillsboro drubbed them like usual. I stated that in region 5-5A, against Antioch, Hunters Lane, Hendersonville, Gallatin, Beech, and Glencliff, Smith/McGavock would have went 0-fer, just like Armstrong/McGavock did.

The Mummy, if you don't think a Scott Smith-like system won't work in Metro, look at what Hillwood did last year. They won more last season than they did in the last ten years and trust me, Hillwood doesn't have 1/5 of the talent a school like McGavock has.

McNine, Hillwood is not without talent! The kids at Hillwood are equal in talent to McGavock. We did better than they did last year. McGavock will do alright next year under Broome. Quit downing Hillwood talent!! :o

NEWSFLASH

Tribue met with Garcia, asked for permission to name himself head coach, permission denied. Tribue then offers Jack Pittman the new head coach position at McGavock. What else could he do? Broome ain't ready, not even close. Heck, can he even adequately coach a position? Spears can coach, but has ticked off too many people with his antics. Baskin is a joke. Edwards is an outsider. PITTMAN IS THE MAN!!!

Yo Newsflash, You must be OUTSIDE YOUR MIND. First of all if think Bubba can coach you're an idiot to begin with; he simply gave instruction to a group of talented young men and he had great assistants that actually coached the team. Next, who is jack pittman, a nobody with coaching abilities only you think are good. You blasted Baskins who is a darn good coach, then you said Broome basically couldn't coach his way out of a paperbag. Baskins and especially Broome are two of the top young coaches in the midstate area. As a matter of fact, are you even a coach, did you play college ball, do you know any football; you're so knowlegdable why didn't you apply, Bubba-Pittman tailwagger. :o

Edited by OGthatsme