Should A player Slap Bunt Everytime She Bats

PowerSoftball

Do you think your lead off hitter should slap bunt everytime she bats? This includes with bases loaded and two outs. The Coach at Moore County has had her lead off batter slap bunt everytime she has batted all year long.

Batting Average around .150 On base percentage .20%

Edited by PowerSoftball

there is not a slap bunt, there is a slap hit or a drag bunt, a slap hitter can slap the ball out of the infeild, a drag bunt should be put down 1st base line. if you have a batter that can swing away and slap and drag, she can be hard to field becouse you never know what she is going to do.

PH4u belive me I know the game a lot better than your coach ever will. I guess the fact you and her know so much, is the reason that a very weak Unionvillle team destroyed Moore County the last two days. Moore County lost 10 to 0 today in five innings making no less than ten errors.

Edited by PowerSoftball

Our centerfielder Jennifer Covell has been slapping alot this year. She has found that squaring to bunt and then pulling back helps her keep her eye on the ball better and make better contact. Jenn was all-KIL last year and I say...if it works, do it. Jennifer is the best sac bunter on our team and many times teams think she's squaring to slap but she lays it down.

It all depends on the situation, I guess. If slapping helps her make better contact and put it into play, go for it.

Power Softball: "I guess the fact you and her know so much, is the reason that a very weak Unionvillle team destroyed Moore County the last two days" First of all, that "very weak Unionville team" has played just about everyone in the district a close game this year. They took Cornersville into extra innings with a loss of 1-0. They held Chapel Hill scoreless much of their first game, and they have lost many of their other games by 1 run. Just because your girls did not play up to their ability does not give you the right to put another team down who has been working hard all season to improve. Your coach does know more than you it seems. She knows the game of softball. Have you ever looked at her playing stats? There is only so much that a coach can do and in my eyes she has taken your program many steps in the right direction.

To Moore Co. girls: keep working to improve your game of fastpitch softball. You girls are working hard and you have great sportsmanship.

Regarding the slap: At BA for several years the coaches have tried to take a quick runner with a good eye for the ball and turn them into a slap bunter/hitter. One of those "chosen" to do this was Allye Ellwanger---she is now a junior. She does not play travel ball and has only had a few hitting lessons...to basically slap. She hasn't had much success with the slap. Well, this year the coach didn't "push" her to do this....and guess what she has been hitting the ball fairly well. Last night she rocketed one over the left field fence, 220...out of the park home run! What an inspiration! Go Allye!!