Tournament Process

Skyhawk

If baseball made money for the TSSAA, this would be the tournament plan, or even more games. This could be completed in a reasonable amount of time. But, unitl that happens, this is food for thought.

1) All District Tournaments should be Double-Elimination

2) Four Team Regional Double Elimination Tournaments

3) Sectionals: Best of Three, Rotating Final Home Game between Regions

4) State Tournament, the same.

As it is now, and the way the game is played, its not fair to have some good teams fall early in a single elimination format.

As it stands, the road to the regional tournaments is not a level playing field. In addition to some teams having single elimination, some districts have as few as 4 teams while others have as many as 9.

It will never happen, but the first step would be to try and get all districts as equal in numbers as possible, and then have the same rules as far as qualifying for the regional tournament. JMHO.

At this point, some teams have lost that should not have. Lets open this up for comment. If you do not comment, then you are in the "let's play basketball all year, and the we can't get in the way of Football crowd. Let us reflect: Double elimination Districts, Four Team Double Elimination Regionals, and best of three, Sectionals, with rotation of region for the third game. It is more than fair, but the baseball people in this state are scared to stand up to the Basketball and Football crowd. Some of you are in question, but when you get upset in one sectional game you will jump on this. IT IS TIME TO UPGRADE THE BASEBALL PLAYOOFF SYESTEM.

Skyhawk, by and large the baseball coaches want a different playoff format.

Right TBCA???

Pitching depth should be a test but the current format of M-W-F means a team with 1 great pitcher can get to Memphis if they get out of their district by just winning Monday and Friday.

So, you are preaching to the choir. It is just a matter of getting the TSSAA (Gene, ya there?) to grab a hymnal and sign along with us....

Amen, Brother, IT IS TIME FOR CHANGE, but once again the key factor is the $$$$ signs, and that is the central factor. Our regional and sectional playoff system for baseball is one of the weakest in the country. NOT VERY GOOD FOR A SOUTHERN STATE.

Alternate Response: Until those of you who coach baseball step up to the plate, we will not change. Our system currently is inappropriate, and all of you know that this is true. ;) Yet, as assistant coaches in major sports no one wants to make the "Big Dogs" mad. Think about this, only four states have spring football, and we are one of them. You know that you are interrupting spring football. Likewise, Basketball can go at it all summer, and in the middle of the season you all hit he "DEAD PERIOD" and cannot coach your baseball team. Talk about the TBCA, but until we unite to solve the problem, do not summons the group on my post. Until varsity baseball reaches the stature that it deserves in this state, we should all work to reach this level. I hope that some of you are "fired up," because if you are not we will stay in the same position that we currently hold.

Texas' format is: decide a district winner, and then all the series are 2 out of three until the state semifinals. Then it is a single eliination tournament for the final 4.

I like the two out of three series idea, and I agree with bizazz, we need to get a minimum of 6 teams in each district, 8 would be better.

Edited by raiderray

Which would be the best, searching for opinions here:

District Tournament/Double Elimination

Regional Playoff (Best of Three)

Regional Championship (Best of Three)

Sectional Playoff (Best of Three)

OR

District Tournament/Double Elimination

Regional Tournament/Double Elimination (Four Teams)

Sectional Series (Best of Three)