TSSAA Record Holders

sbcoach

I keep reading where these pitchers have broken or have the top strikeout record for TSSAA. The question I have is it written somewhere or does anyone know who the leaders are in strikeouts.

Kaci Clark (Brentwood High) had a high mark & so did Brooke Siebel (Father Ryan). Does anyone know how many they had for career? One of the message boards said something about Sarah Houser (Sweetwater) was leading, but didn't say if it was for season or career. I feel there may be others out there that deserve the recognition. I would think that Megan Rhodes before she gets finished will be up there with the best.

Let us know who you feel have the most & how many?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents....Kim Dunlap For Ezell Harding in their glory days was nearly unhittable.

There are no such stats kept at the state level. Some districts keep records. Most schools do. But there is no such thing as a state strikeout leader.

If such records were kept, they wouldn't mean a thing, especially in fastpitch. Who would keep and report the stats? What influence would playing weak opponents have?

It's a team sport. Wins and losses are what count. I would even say "quality" wins are what count. Stats are to be used by coaches, not bragged about by parents.

I saw some of the stats of teams coming into the state tournament last year. I am sure they will be posted again this year. Teams with several players having .500+ batting averages and pitchers with 200+ strikeouts and sub 1 ERA's were sent home after 2 games. When these teams finally had to face good pitching and good hitting, they folded.

Don't get hung up on stats, and certainly don't use them to brag about your child. In the end, they don't mean a thing.

Thanks Deadeye for the opinion. I don't have a dog in this fight, just curious. I agree about some players with great stats but who do they play. Some players this year end season with .625 avg, but did not play the competition as some players. But, just figured someone in past kept up with their schools that would know what some of the great pitchers of past did accomplish. And if there was a record to be broken, what is it?

I hate to vary from the subject but its not just weak competition which drives up a players stats but also weak scorekeeping. I know of teams who give their hitters credit for hits when there was clearly an error. Our own statman tends to be just the opposite- if the defensive player is anywhere near a hit ball its an error. The variation makes most stats worthless. It is hard to fudge strikeout numbers though.

I agree Deadeye. Stats also don't account for the fickle nature of this sport. One of the dad's on our team was talking last night how his daughter has struggled this year. Last year everything she hit landed in fair territory and this year everything is just foul by inches.

I also agree on the record ing of stats. We have three people that keep stats for every game, two dads and the official book for the coaches. All three are so far apart at the end of the season we have to ask, "Did we see the same games?".

A pitchers ERA is a good example. Let's try something. Everyone give me your definition of an earned run.....

An earned run is when a person gets on base and advances around the bases without the benefit of an error. I know my daughters ERA is higher than last years it went from 0.54 to 0.86. We also replaced all of last years A and AA competition with AAA compeitition and towards the end of the year i can see a real improvement in our teams play which is where a good ERA really comes from. Strikeouts are great but turning double plays and getting someone to pop a bunt up or getting a pop up when the batter needs a grounder is just as great.

I believe Brooke Siebel holds the all time strikeout record for this state. I will have to check this out to be sure, but I believe she may have held the national title or place second in the entire country up to the time she completed her HS career. Give me a few days to check out and I will find out for sure. If Ezell reads this ( Nat B. ), please talk with Brooke the next time you see her to confirm.

I have wondered for years, what was some of the records with TSSAA and who holds each record. If anyone knows where the records are located, please pass it to us. It would be nice if TSSAA had a place on the web site to share with us softball fans.

Amber Steen, senior at Hunters Lane currently has 224 strikeouts for 2004. Don't know what her career SO are.