Dobyns-Bennett fans?

GC1

I think that this yearly mid-summer debate should definitely be looked into further. From my experiences, lately D-B has had only one rival that makes the hair stand up on your back with electricity every time, and that is Oak Ridge. Thus, I don't see why adding Gate City--which would undoubtedly draw a D-B vs. Oak Ridge size crowd at J. Fred--is such a bad idea. To me, high school football is about rivalries and all of the other events that go along with them from the pep rallies to the pre-game cookout and one last singing of the school song win-or-lose. This debate got quite strong about the time school let out after my junior year and practice was just getting ready to start again. I remember talking to three of my best friends on the team about how bad we wished we could get after them. Some of our dads had played in those early-70's games, and we definitely remembered scrimmaging Gate City our sophomore year with all of the hype and talk regarding the "scrimmage." I met some of the Gate City boys on a couple of local recruiting trips and they felt the same exact way about the game. Simply put, D-B vs, Gate City would make for one incredible high school football scrimmage, even if a game is not conceivable. Let the best in NE Tennesee and the best in SW Virginia go at it without worrying about whose bigger and classified higher and find out whose better. I have a feeling we'd be able to more than hold our own against the Devils on a pretty consistent basis...sorry but I had to say it.

Edited by DBHS1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DBHS1

I know Dobyns Bennett fans want to see DB play Gate City. I chat with those Gate City fans on the LPD board and they want to see DB and Gate City play each other real bad. It makes too much sense.Those guys I work with from Southwest Virginia want to see DB play Gate City.

Look at Maryville vs Alcoa. Alcoa is a much smaller school than Maryville. Us Rebel fans would be devastated if Maryville and Alcoa quit playing each other. Alcoa fans feel the same way. Maryville dominates this rivalry but Maryville respects the heck out of Alcoa also.

Waco

Those guys I work with from Southwest Virginia say that football in the LPD is a way of life. Two of my friends played at Appalachia,Two played at Clintwood and Two played at JI Burton. I saw some tapes of Appalachia and the stands were full every game.

VolunteerGeneral,

Not a problem and we are very thankful that Stephen is here...what a fine young man...and obviously a very good player...great family, his dad is extremely active in booster activities...thank you, thank you

REBELRON,

Not all or even most D-B fans care anything about playing the Blue Devils, you may need to work with some Kingsport people to understand the flipside of the coin; again, they have a great program, but it is a no win situation for D-B and thus a no-need situation. I lived in Knoxville for 8 years and have covered high school sports long enough to know the Blount county rivalries and don't know that I recall Alcoa bemoaning a loss to the Rebels with -well you should have won, you have more people to choose from...

anyway...ain't high school sports great?!?

Roll Tribe Roll

skunk

High School Sports are my favorite. There are some Alcoa fans that use the "Maryville is bigger" excuse. Maryville beats Alcoa because Alcoa has way more players that play both ways. Maryville will only have a few that play both ways. None of the linemen do. Alcoa has one advantage over Maryville. There are a lot of years that Alcoa will have a slew of 4.4 sprinters on their team. Alcoa will have the speed advantage over Maryville most of the time.

Alcoa's 2000 State Title team had this kind of speed.

James Rainer 4.3

Jamel Sankey 4.4

Jerome Robinson 4.4

Jonathon Mechandorf 4.5

Shannon Williams 4.5

Michael George 4.5

James Harris 4.55

They had a bunch of guys in the 4.7-4.8 range also. Cleveland 93 team and Alcoa 2000 are the fastest teams I have seen. Alcoa was small up front in 2000. Cleveland was big up front and had that great speed.

I am just curious, How does the Oak Ridge crowd compare to a Science Hill Crowd? I know we in Oak Ridge love the DB game every year home or away. One more thing, don't count out Oak Ridge this season they started to look pretty good late in the spring. Good luck DB and we'll see you in the Ridge.

Both are very, very large. I know the paper usually will say over 12,000 for either game. Sometimes Science Hill does not always stack up to DB, but even if Science Hill has a not so strong team, the fans still come out. If you want a comparision of the typical Oak Ridge fan vs a Science Hill fan, Oak Ridge has been there, done that and acts the same. No comment on Science Hill fans.

I always feel Oak Ridge could beat us on any night, I admit Science Hill has been close maybe once in the past few years, but I worry less that DB would lose to Science Hill.

Edited by bud

DCCATVOICE

If the "Hill" is having a successful season their fans will turn out...this past year they were certain they would win and so they showed up...they lost 41-13...good crowd, though...but, they did leave rather early...They used to follow their hoops team, but not as well anymore.

The Wildcats, as do the Indians, travel well...both show respect as adversaries, players, coaches, and fans.

Hey, you've been doing this radio bit long enough to know we won't take anything for granted when we come to the Atomic City...It could be another classic.

Roll Tribe Roll

IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!

Talkin DB vs Oak Ridge get's my GIDDY UP!! I get to make my 1st ever trip to the Home of the Wildacts this year and I am really looking forward to it.

Don't evr make the mistake of comparing SHill to Oak Ridge. It's not up for debate. DB owns the toppers, 10 straight wins in the series for the Tribe and most of them have been blowouts. And the Fans, forget about it... like Skunk said.. Oak Ridge Fans are a class act... I'll leave it at that. You can use part of the word "CLASS" (drop 2 letters) when describing the toppers and their fans.

DB is going to be very strong this year fans. I cant wait till we kick it off against the Golen Raiders. The schedule this year is the same as last season, flip flop the home/away locations.

Skunk, any ideas as who is going to try and replace Trittapoe at TE. That (too me) is the biggest issue we have in our lineup. As you know, Duran F. enjoyed great success using the TE last season. I hope we have another playes close to Trittapoe coming up this year.

ROLL TRIBE ROLL

GIDDY UP!!

Sorry to take so long to answer this one...

There is not another Phillip "Hands" Tritapoe in the stable. We may not see another combo of hands, speed, power, desire. etc., etc., etc., ever at the tight end position...Tritapoe was capable of lining up as a true tight end or in the four receiver set the Tribe deployed frequently last year...the four receiver set will be utilized again this year with some capable people in the alignment - Matt McMillan, Stephen Moten, Luke Bennett, Darrell Hayes, Coty Sensabaugh, Josef Throp, Landon Witt, Daniel Bertuso, Jessee Alley, Marcus Rogers, Logan Williamson, and others (backs, slots, wideouts)...David Earles, Quinn Shelton, and Ben Davis are probably the guys presently listed as tight ends who will participate in the four receiver sets (as "Hands" did), they all are good kids and good players, but don't expect anyone anytime soon to be like Tritapoe...

The area was really blessed this year with two outstanding tight ends in the area with "Hands" Tritapoe and Central's Matt Dunford, it's not very often you get to see two guys with the the tools these two displayed...

Tritapoe is playing this Friday in the Tennessee - Kentucky All-Star game @ Neyland Stadium in Knoxville...Chase Flanary is also representing the Indians in the game ( Walker Throp was invited to play, but unable to do so, mono). Coach Clark is the head coach...I hope there is a good crowd of Indian fans supporting our hometown participants...I also hope this is a showcase for Phillip to secure a college offer to his liking. Good luck "Hands", Chase ,and Coach Clark.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk