All-Time Coaches

bhsOL

Lineman, you are absolutely correct. Coach Hattfield has done a tremendous job at Hendersonville. He has compiled an unbelievable record in only 6 years. The only reason that I did not list him is that I used a 10 year career as my benchmark. In four more seasons Coach Hattfield will join that list. (not that he is not on it now.) Good Luck this season HHS, except in week 6.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a little biased, but I have to agree that Coach Bruce Hatfield of Hendersonville is at the top. His team's records are as follows:

98: 12-3 with a Clinic Bowl loss to Oakland

99: 12-1 with an quarterfinal overtime loss to Oakland

00: 6-4 no playoffs

01: 13-2 with a BlueCross Bowl loss to Riverdale

02: 6-5 with a 1st Round loss to Franklin

03: 7-6 with a 1-point overtime loss to Franklin

Coach Hatfield's 6-season record is 56-21, for an average of 9.33-3.5 per season. What is most impressive, however, is Hendersonville's playoff performance. His teams average 12.83 games/season, or a trip to the quarterfinals almost every season. Two trips to the State Championship game in 6 seasons, second only to Riverdale's 3 appearances. Character shows itself in the form of results, and Coach Hatfield's influence has been substantial.

• 3 months later...

bhsOL, Riverdale did not win the Region in '93, Gallatin did. There was a 3-way tie with Gallatin, Riverdale, and Lebanon. We were all 9-1, Gallatin beat Lebanon, Riverdale beat Gallatin, and Lebanon beat Riverdale. It came down to out of region oppnents' records as the final tie-breaker. It went to Gallatin on that. We got a bye in the first round of the play-offs.

GWAVE1, Gallatin did not have an undefeated regular season in '89, they lost to Oakland at MTSU, 10-0 I think. They then avenged that loss in the Clinic Bowl.

No doubt in my mind that it is Vic Grider!! He can take a group of guys and make them champions.  They want to play and win for him all season long!! He loves the game more than anything else!!

825286992[/snapback]

That may be true any other year except this one. The 2004 Pirates have no heart. With the atheletes they have they should at least be .500.

bhsOL, Riverdale did not win the Region in '93, Gallatin did. There was a 3-way tie with Gallatin, Riverdale, and Lebanon. We were all 9-1, Gallatin beat Lebanon, Riverdale beat Gallatin, and Lebanon beat Riverdale. It came down to out of region oppnents' records as the final tie-breaker. It went to Gallatin on that. We got a bye in the first round of the play-offs.

GWAVE1, Gallatin did not have an undefeated regular season in '89, they lost to Oakland at MTSU, 10-0 I think. They then avenged that loss in the Clinic Bowl.

825403094[/snapback]

You are correct. Lost 10-0 to Oakland week three. I ate at the Wendy's in Lebanon after the game. I remember being totally bummed about the game. Never thought we would get a chance to avenge the loss in the Ice Bowl. Thanks for the keeping me straight.

John Tucker (Milan) was the best I've heard of. Calvin Short (Gallatin) is another one I'm familiar with that is one of the best. Red Etter is a legend in Tennessee and if you don't know who he is, study up. Boyce Smith is another great one--he's also a former Vanderbilt QB/Punter. Smith possibly still holds the record for longest punt in SEC history of 90+ yds. (vs. Tennessee--96 yds. I think, back in the '60's) I was there and saw that one! WOW!

Just to add one name, I'll throw in Paul Ward from Huntingdon. He was a great one. But, John Tucker at Milan was still the most productive coach I've ever seen. My hat is off to anyone who can best his record!