Athletes Verbally Committing To Colleges

redraiderbball

How does the verbal commitment process work? Who is allowed to make contact with the athlete? Does the university go through a mediator?

It doesn't mean a thing really! The student can always change his mind and the school (in most cases) hasn't made an offical offer. Unless the student signs a NCAA LETTER OF INTENT... it's just something for the press to talk about.

It doesn't mean a thing really! The student can always change his mind and the school (in most cases) hasn't made an offical offer. Unless the student signs a NCAA LETTER OF INTENT... it's just something for the press to talk about.

I realize that without things in writing people can easily change directions but there must be some contact between both parties. Does the school approach the player first? Are they allowed too do that or does all the communication take place through a mediator?

I realize that without things in writing people can easily change directions but there must be some contact between both parties. Does the school approach the player first? Are they allowed too do that or does all the communication take place through a mediator?

The NCAA has specific "WINDOWS" of time when a school can begin to contact rising seniors. They can send mail and E-mail to them throughout their junior year but direct contact is limited to video exchanged through the head coach and one visit to a game where the young athlete is playing. They can contact the young man at his school during the fall and spring semester before national signing day and can call him at home once a week during his senior year. The boy or his family can call the prospective school and make inquires and they can visit the campus as much as they want but official visits will not come until after the last high school game has been played and the young man is being seriously considered by the program. Almost everyone gets letter so those don't mean a thing! When you get a visit at your school from a recruiter and he invites to pay for you to come to see his school for a "recruiting visit," then you will know you're being seriously recruited. Even then, you are one of several hundred that the college program will invite to select only about 20 from. So even an official visit doesn't mean they will offer you a letter of intent. The only reason for any senior to sign a letter early is if he already know where he wants to go to school, is being seriously recruited by several programs and wants to get the decision out of the way before the season begins.

The NCAA has specific "WINDOWS" of time when a school can begin to contact rising seniors. They can send mail and E-mail to them throughout their junior year but direct contact is limited to video exchanged through the head coach and one visit to a game where the young athlete is playing. They can contact the young man at his school during the fall and spring semester before national signing day and can call him at home once a week during his senior year. The boy or his family can call the prospective school and make inquires and they can visit the campus as much as they want but official visits will not come until after the last high school game has been played and the young man is being seriously considered by the program. Almost everyone gets letter so those don't mean a thing! When you get a visit at your school from a recruiter and he invites to pay for you to come to see his school for a "recruiting visit," then you will know you're being seriously recruited. Even then, you are one of several hundred that the college program will invite to select only about 20 from. So even an official visit doesn't mean they will offer you a letter of intent. The only reason for any senior to sign a letter early is if he already know where he wants to go to school, is being seriously recruited by several programs and wants to get the decision out of the way before the season begins.

I guess my question came about as a result of Cait McMahan's situation. She is a fantastic ball player and she recently committed to UT. Cait will be a junior in high school next year. I think she made a good choice and saved herself and team many distractions. Also, will enjoy watching her play for 4 years after high school.

However, how does this process work? She is not old enough to be contacted by the university except under the regulations you previously mentioned. She can make contact with the universtity but no player at her level would verbally commit unless they knew that they would be signed when that day arrived. Apparently someone had to mediate the event and express strong interest by both parties (player and school). I assume the head coach would mediate that and express the level of interest by both parties.

I guess my question came about as a result of Cait McMahan's situation. She is a fantastic ball player and she recently committed to UT. Cait will be a junior in high school next year. I think she made a good choice and saved herself and team many distractions. Also, will enjoy watching her play for 4 years after high school.

However, how does this process work? She is not old enough to be contacted by the university except under the regulations you previously mentioned. She can make contact with the universtity but no player at her level would verbally commit unless they knew that they would be signed when that day arrived. Apparently someone had to mediate the event and express strong interest by both parties (player and school). I assume the head coach would mediate that and express the level of interest by both parties.

Like I said before, it doesn't matter what a player says before the end of their junior year, and even then, each sport has its own official signing day when it all becomes official. I think it is way too early for a JUNIOR to "sign" so I wouldn't say it really means much at this point.

I guess my question came about as a result of Cait McMahan's situation.  She is a fantastic ball player and she recently committed to UT.  Cait will be a junior in high school next year.  I think she made a good choice and saved herself and team many distractions.  Also, will enjoy watching her play for 4 years after high school.

However, how does this process work?  She is not old enough to be contacted by the university except under the regulations you previously mentioned.  She can make contact with the universtity but no player at her level would verbally commit unless they knew that they would be signed when that day arrived.  Apparently someone had to mediate the event and express strong interest by both parties (player and school).  I assume the head coach would mediate that and express the level of interest by both parties.

Like I said before, it doesn't matter what a player says before the end of their junior year, and even then, each sport has its own official signing day when it all becomes official. I think it is way too early for a JUNIOR to "sign" so I wouldn't say it really means much at this point.

I was asking how the process worked relative to communication between the parties at such an early stage, not whether it means anything, prior to the senior year. I would think Cait McMahan believes the verbal commitment means something different to her and her family.

Anyway, thanks for trying to answer the question I guess I didn't ask it very well.

To answer your question. A verbal means the head coach has made an offer of scholarship that she will sign november of her senior year (2006),if she is a JR> this season. Its not binding till its signed and recieve by the school. So its only as good as the coach keeps their word and the player keeps hers. But really anything could happen that could and would change that. I have seen it happen in the past!

To answer your question. A verbal means the head coach has made an offer of scholarship that she will sign november of her senior year (2006),if she is a JR> this season. Its not binding till its signed and recieve by the school. So its only as good as the coach keeps their word and the player keeps hers. But really anything could happen that could and would change that. I have seen it happen in the past!

Makes sense! Thanks for the insight.

• 4 weeks later...

Men's Basketball - July 28, 2004

Hancock County High School grad, Matthew Collins commits to Maryville College in Basketball

MC Sports Information

MARYVILLE, Tenn. – Matthew Collins, a 6’4 wing from Hancock County High School, has committed to continue his education and basketball career at Maryville College.

Collins, the son of Carter and Vickey Collins of Sneedville, TN averaged 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assist, and 2 steals per game. He connected on 33 percent from the three-point line, 50 percent from the field, and 80 percent from the free-throw line for the Hancock County Indians.

For the 2003-2004 season, Collins was named to the 2A All-District Tournament Team, and All District Team for the regular season Collins was a two-year starter for the Indians. For his career, Collins let the Indians to a 103-52 record with a TSSAA State Tournament Appearance, Northeast Tennessee Sectional Championship, District 2A Champions for 2001-2004, District 2A regular season champions for 2001-2004 and two TSSAA sub-state berths.

Randy Lambert, head coach of the Maryville College’s men’s basketball team, said Collins is a welcomed addition to the Fighting Scots’ program.

“Matthew is the type of young man that we look for in our program,” Lambert said. “Matthew come from a good program and has proven to us that he is able to do the work in the classroom and on the court.”

Next fall, Collins will join a team that finished 23-6 in the 2003-2004 season and earned a spot in the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Tournament for Division III. The Fighting Scots went undefeated in regular-season play in the Great South Athletic

Conference and earned the conference championship in post-season tournament. Sidney Ellis, a junior guard, was named the Great South’s “Player of the Year,” 1st team All-South, and 2nd team All American. Junior point guard, Raul Placeres and senior post player, Walden Buttram, received 2nd team All Conference awards. Head Coach Randy Lambert was selected as the GSAC “ Coach of the Year,” and was selected by his peers as the South Region honoree in NCAA Division III.