MORRISTOWN EAST FOOTBALL

BIGR35

The lineman who signed with Tech was Michael Branner. According to his head coach Larry Smith he was perhaps the best O-lineman he had ever had play for him. Since Smith has coached for over 30 years that is high praise.

Replacing a kicker, Terry Hall, who put 90% of his kickoffs into the endzone will not be easy, and he was a great weapon, as field position is so important. But every team always has players to replace. You got to think with the winning season that more athletes will want to play, and hopefully with Gary Johnson as principal the revolving door of coaches will stop.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

roger, you sound like a coach or ex-coach. One game is just as important as the next right. I know a little of the rivalry between East and West, and to most East fans they would most likely trade two losses for a win vs. West.

I also think Greenville is the team to beat, but my surprise team is Volunteer. They had some growing pains with the wing-t last year but should be more comfortable, and they have some talent. Of course never count out West. The Canes got the D to be a contender, but although you did not lose quantity of talent, you did lose quality of talent. F

Fanatic, I know some East fans who would trade more than two losses to someone else for a win over West. It was probably reversed when East won their 6 or 7 straight back in the 90's.

Seems as everyone is leaving out Cherokee on their list. Unless they lost a tremendous amount of players they came on strong late last year and beat the No. 1 seed Elizabethton in the playoffs, so they should be a contender as well.

IF EAST CAN GET OVER WEST, THEY WILL BE IN THE HUNT FOR A STATE

CHAMPIONSHIP

Nice quote...so you're saying if East beats a team that lost 10 starters on defense, they're on a state title run?.. Better rethink that..and also West's offense is ALOT better with Bradley startin at tailback and the recievers are really good too...

Will someone name some of the key returning

players on this year team. I only get a chance to come to morristown on weekends.

The Canes have solid starters returning at most positions. Some of the ones that stand out are Steven Ray, and Austin Coker in the line. Rob Davis, Chris Wilson, and Alonzo Holly at LB. Matt Southerland at DE. Shawn Pendland, Justin Delapp , and Josh Russell at the skill positions. These are just some of the ones that started last year, I'm sure I left out somebody.

Austin Coker, and Blake Garretson have an excellent chance of playing at the next level. Coker is 6"3" 315lbs. is very strong and has very little fat for kid that size. Garretson has the perfect built for a college TE 6"4" 255lbs. has excellent speed, his pass catching skills improved as the season progressed last year, and will only be a junior this year.

I'm sure I omitted someone but hope that helped BIGR.

• 4 weeks later...
WE MAY HAVE ONLY 35-45 PLAYERS ON THIS YEAR TEAM. THIS IS THE 1st TIME

IN MANY YEARS ,WE COULD HAVE NO ONE STARTING ON BOTH SIDE OF THE

BALL. THIS IS THE BEST DEPTH WE HAVE HAD IN ALONG TIME. YOU CAN ONLY

PLAY 11 PLAYERS AT A TIME. WE WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY BETWEEN 25-30 PLAYER,

AND NOT LOSE MUCH! TIME WILL TELL HOW GOOD WE WILL BE!

825287449[/snapback]

i agree with roger, most likely you wont beat a team that has about 90 players like mo-west or maryville,the depth will kill you, and dont forget that the same speedster that ripped you for over a 100 yds, two touchdowns, and a whooping 95yrd return, is comeing back for mo-west=#25 james, i think you will only get to see the back of his jersey while he is busting another one loose to the endzone!!!!!!!!!! thumb

Fanatic, I know some East fans who would trade more than two losses to someone else for a win over West. It was probably reversed when East won their 6 or 7 straight back in the 90's.

Seems as everyone is leaving out Cherokee on their list. Unless they lost a tremendous amount of players they came on strong late last year and beat the No. 1 seed Elizabethton in the playoffs, so they should be a contender as well.

825287863[/snapback]

well im glad someone finally said somethign about cherokee, it seems as if none thinks anythign about us. we killed volunteer last year and everyone belives them to be a suprise team, this year. we knocked the number one team out of region one with little effort, pride is a big thing here and we havent lost anyting on defense and our offense is 100 times better than last year. not saying state title or confrence champs but deserve more respect.

east high, dont get ahead of yourselfs....you lost first round when you should have won. east has the abililty to win games, you guys just dont know how to win the big ones. beating west doesnt mean anything about going to state. you still have all the chatt. teams, knox teams, and johnson co. teams. not to mention the countless number of schools between those major points. try to win one game at a time rather than look ahead to west and greeneville

You were right to say we should have won last year in the playoff. We had

couple of our best player playing hurt. The Qb had a real bad ankle, the

running back had a bad knee. We also lost one of our starting linebacker

in are last game. I know all teams get players hurt, it just was real bad

timing for us. East only had 35 players last year. We will know were we are

this year on tuesday, when we scrimmage Jefferson Co.

Vol4Life34, everyone is undefeated at this time of the season and why not be optimistic. I agree that some have expectations that are unrealistic but what the heck.

EASTFAN, to dominate a game for three and a half quarters against TN High and then murphy's law take over was hard to swallow, but hey it ain't over till it is over and the Canes didn't put them away when they had the chance. Injuries are part of football and you have to build enough depth to overcome them to be contender for post-season. If they can have a couple more 7-8 win seasons they should generate more interest and have more depth. No way should a 1,400 student school have only 35 varsity players.