What do you guys think about Knox. Halls for 2004

bigsexy007

Remember JPaul not all kids who played for Halls supermidgets attend Halls Middle then Halls High. From what I hear, Mr. Burnette has a way of "asking" kids from other parts of the county to play for "His" super midget dynasty.

To answer how a student from Halls could attend Maryville, I guess his daddy put him on the long impossible to get in here if you are an athele transfer list when he was born. After waiting 14 years, his number was lucky enough to be drawn :lol: .

Edited by RD94

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary has had a lot of success over the years running the option style offense. When he's had the talent to open it up, he has. What some kids, and more likely some parents, don't realize is that it's not Gary's job to show off their sons.

I have known the burnette kid for yrs as well as his father and I can tell you this, he doesnt have the footspeed to play in an option style offense. Everytime someone describes him they say he has a strong arm and that is true. But its also true that I have seen 260 lb linemen in highschool that could out throw all-district qbs when it came down to arm strength or distance. But that didnt make them championship qb material!!! A big arm is nothing without a good head and good wheels. As for showing off his son, that comment is dead on. That is what this whole move is about! Over the years I have watched them hop from team to team in baseball for example with the goal being to try to stack the deck in order to win and showcase the prima dona! That "mighty" midget team had players as far away as the Farragut on it! Hardly guys that will be going to Halls.

i wonder if burnett would have went to gibbs or union county if there would have been this big fuss about him goin to murvil? i heard that jonathon price wanted to stay at halls but he wants to be coached by a coach that actually played football.

Edited by ReBeLfAnAtIc

The issue that the Burnette kid did not stay at Halls/Central/Powell was that the dad went to each coach and told them that Brent would attend their school IF he could be the starting QB. Its pretty bad when you ask Joel Helton to move his son, Zac, to receiver, with the excuse that he needs to touch the ball more. The father's goal is to surround his kid with the best possible athletes so he will be noticed in the position he feels his son is destined for. He wants to control the outcome, and the dad knows that his son is one-dimensional, whereas some of the other QB's can play other positions due to the fact that they are more athletic. As for the Price kid, he is a very talented athlete, but needed a 'new' start due to some personal conflicts he had, and Powell was closer to his home than any other school. These are the only two freshmen that Halls lost to transfers. Halls did not lose many seniors and they should be more experienced and improved than the last couple of years. I guess time will tell.

I saw Brent Burnett in passing drills. He has a cannon for an arm. Brent did well at the Furman camp. Brent is a fine talent but he is not guaranteed a starting position on the freshmen team. Steven Shiver has a strong arm also. Shiver is 6'3 170lbs. Shiver has better wheels than Burnett. Johnny Wiggins is another quarterback who will be hard to beat out. Wiggins can run the ball well. Wiggins is very smart. His armstrenth is not as good as Burnett,s or Shivers.

All three of these quarterbacks will have to compete with the job with Derek Hunt next season. The Maryville coaches thought enough of Derek Hunt to move Kat Kimsey to receiver. Kat was always a quarterback throughout his playing days. Derek knows the offense like the back of his hand. Derek Hunt will have a say in who will be the quarterback when Cade Thompson graduates.

RD94

Some people get in some don't. I have posted names of kids that tried to get in but didn't. You can go back to my posts and see who they were. People are crying about Burnett coming to Maryville. Maryville has had transfers coming in. Maryville has lost some. Maryville has had several good players transfer or leave lately.

Kenneth Click transfered to Heritage a few years ago. Kenneth was good enough to get a scholarship to Carson Newman. I sure would have loved for him to stay at Maryville.He would have been a big help at defensive tackle. Instead of crying I wished him luck. TJ Brock transfered to Sweetwater.He was an all state running back. I hated like crazy to see him go. I wished him luck and appreciated his effort at Maryville. I hope he does well at Carson Newman. Other good players to leave Maryville were Chris Franklin,Benny Fuller,Kelby Crain,Morgan Hurst and Robbie Odom to name a few. I never whined about any player leaving Maryville. What is funny is Smyrna fans arent whining about losing Steven Childs. I am sure that they wish Childs was still in Smyrna.

I agree with what Rebel Fanatic said about If Burnett went to Gibbs,Union County or any other school. There would be near as much crying.

Edited by REBELRON

From my standpoint, I was only stating a fact about the Burnette situation. Personally, I don't care, but I must say that many people are glad they are not going to be involved in the North Knoxville area because the dad controlled every sport the kid played. If he wants to surround his kid with the best football athletes, then Maryville is the place to be. They have a great football tradition. Halls/Central/and Powell football will continue with their football programs without the likes of the Burnette dominance. One player does not make that much of a difference when there are other kids as talented are more multi-talented than the Burnette kid. I only hope that Maryville will play the 'best' without letting whats 'slipped under the table' influence their decision. I wish all teams the best and stay injury-free!

I saw Brent Burnett in passing drills. He has a cannon for an arm. Brent did well at the Furman camp. Brent is a fine talent but he is not guaranteed a starting position on the freshmen team. Steven Shiver has a strong arm also. Shiver is 6'3 170lbs. Shiver has better wheels than Burnett. Johnny Wiggins is another quarterback who will be hard to beat out. Wiggins can run the ball well. Wiggins is very smart. His armstrenth is not as good as Burnett,s or Shivers.

Maryville has had transfers coming in. Maryville has lost some. Maryville has had several good players transfer or leave lately.

I agree with what Rebel Fanatic said about If Burnett went to Gibbs,Union County or any other school. There would be near as much crying.

Hay, how about sending a couple of these strong arm kids to Austin East. We could use a true Quarterback. Can you imagine playing QB with all the talent around you at the skill position. The last 2 years the freshman teams have been very talented.

I only hope that Maryville will play the 'best' without letting whats 'slipped under the table' influence their decision. I wish all teams the best and stay injury-free!

I promise you Quarles will play who he thinks will give him the best chance of winning. Nobody will tell George how to run his team. George runs the show at Maryville.

Boorelly

I would give you guys a quarterback for a 4.4 speed receiver who can catch.

I hope this kid has a strong head on his shoulders because I have personally seen several dads ruin their child's athletic experience. I would bet the farm that Maryville didn't make any promises of being a starter. So if he is a backup on the freshman team-does his dad pull up and move to make it easier on his son? I wish him luck-just let him be a high school athlete-if he is good enough later on to go to college-they will find him whether you are QB at Halls or Maryville. With hard work-it works itself out. Coach Sheppard is one of the best coaches around and has forgotten more football than most of us know. It seems to me Knox Co. has a huge problem with recruiting. More specifically the Halls,Powell, and Central area. I don't believe the high school coaches do it, I think certain parents, and little league dads manipulate certain kids. High school athletics is about the kids, not their dads. I hope I'm wrong. Everyone is so jealous of Maryville because of their success. Those kids start being successful as middle schoolers in the classroom and the field. Their pride starts young, they don't just turn it on when they reach varsity. Their program recruits itself. A parent would be a fool not to send their kid to Maryville if they had the chance. I just wish that all kids could play with the same boys all the way through school-this would boom school pride and rivalries. Let's leave the free-agency and the recruiting to the "experts" and keep our game pure.

Everyone is so jealous of Maryville because of their success. Those kids start being successful as middle schoolers in the classroom and the field. Their pride starts young, they don't just turn it on when they reach varsity. Their program recruits itself. A parent would be a fool not to send their kid to Maryville if they had the chance. I just wish that all kids could play with the same boys all the way through school-this would boom school pride and rivalries. Let's leave the free-agency and the recruiting to the "experts" and keep our game pure.

Bingo. Maryville's success is why some of these posters insult them,trash them and hope like crazy that they lose. I think it is childish and immature on their part.

You don't see me trashing White Station Basketball or Farragut Baseball. I admire those excellent programs and wish the Rebels could be as good as those teams are. I am enjoying the ride right now because it won't last forever. I know all it takes is some good coaches leaving and the program could slip. I saw it happen in the 80s. Maryville slipped in the mid 80s to the mid 90s. But! I still cheered them on.

I didn't hate Cleveland when they were cleaning Maryville's clock in 1993-94. I didn't hate Sevier County when they were wearing Maryville out in the late 80s and early 90s. I didn't hate Austin East when they were beating Maryville in the 80s. I didn't hate Halls when they were wearing out Maryville in the early 90s. I wanted Maryville to improve so they can beat those teams. I didn't like Maryville losing to those teams.But! Sometimes the other team is better. I sure didn't cry and say Halls,Sevier County,Cleveland and AE was cheating when they were beatin Maryville. I wanted Maryville to get better. They have done that.

Jiminy Crickett #2, since you seem to have knowledge of the North Knoxville kids, what can you tell me about Brandon Mcmahan at Gibbs. He played last yr with my son on the freshman team and ran 3 kickoffs back for td's. The kid also scored 12 tds in 5 games and we only one one game. His dad told me that last yr was probably his worst yr since he started playing football. I do know that he played for Tom Burnette and with the other kids you spoke of at Halls. I just wanted to know if he's a kid that we can expect big things from in a couple of yrs and if he has the ability to turn this program around.