Olympic wrestling

ijtx

• 2 weeks later...

Please allow me to vent.

Why can't the TV coverage of the Olympics show the whole six minutes of a wrestling match!?! Or, better yet, why can't they show all the American wrestlers' matches!?!

I know it is the same old complaints that we wrestling fans bring up every Olympics (and every NCAA Wrestling Championship), but now, with all the coverage on Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC, etc., there is plenty of non-prime time coverage to show these matches.

They showed the entire Field Hockey match between the Netherlands and Germany. They showed the entire baseball game between Cuba and Australia. Surely, there is time to show the few six minute matches in which our wrestlers are involved. Even with TIVO (how did I live without TIVO) it is hard the catch the little bit of wrestling coverage that they have shown.

I was also really impressed how we had to take a break during Cael Sanderson's semi final match to watch coverage of the basketball team having the wrong color jerseys. Pathetic!

825317822[/snapback]

Man, that was exactly what I was thinking. Unbelievable. My wife came in from outside to find out who I was screaming at. Still hoping to catch Abas. I have to see that Russian-what a great tournament he had.

For all of the complaining, and that includes me as I agree with the essence of the complaints, we should be thankful for what we did get.

This was far more than what we've had. More than we had in 2000, which was more than in 1996, which was more than in 1992 (unless you paid for the premium Red/White/Blue channels package that wasn't available in all areas), etc.

I got almost everything, and it was near 9.5 hours. I was disappointed at first, but it did improve more than most people realize.

Now, having said all of that, did anyone else catch Dennis Hall's first match?? They had a shot of him warming up, and it looked like he was wearing a 'Chattanooga Wrestling' sweatshirt. I thought that was cool. From what I understand, he and Terry Brands have been friends and training partners for a long while. Just wondered if anyone else saw it.

BamaGrappler, you said "I got almost everything, and it was near 9.5 hours..." of Olympic Wrestling. Did you get this off the regular (cable or satellite) telecast or did you pay for premium coverage? I taped hours and hours of the Olympics and only got minutes of wrestling coverage (although I did get hours of our basketball "Dream Team").

Thanks, Geaz

Geaz-

Just standard cable. Most of it came on CNBC or MSNBC. There was very little shown on the root channel NBC. I think only 1 match came on the USA channel. I missed that one, but I think it was run that same night at midnight on MSNBC. They pretty much stuck to the schedule. I had 3 different schedules (with minor, if any, differences in them) and just cross-referenced them. Kept 2 VCRs on ready. Ended up with footage scattered over 5 tapes. When I compiled it, it was almost 9.5 hours.

When I compiled it, I made the list of what I had and what I'd missed (based on what I'd read). I posted it on themat.com and worked a trade with a guy in Connecticut who basically did the same thing I did. I had only missed 2 matches completely, missed the 1st period of another 2 matches, and missed 1 promo spot. Between the two of us, I don't think we missed anything. Add that to what I already had, and it's probably around 10 hours total.

The only thing I know that was on, but I don't know anyone who has it, was a spot on Telemundo. I checked it occasionally to see if they were showing any of the Cuba or Puerto Rico wrestling matches or boxing bouts. During their news segment (recapping Olympic highlights), they did a spot on the female wrestler from Puerto Rico. I watched it but unfortunately didn't record it. Didn't figure it would be much. I don't know if anyone else even saw it. I don't speak Spanish fluently enough to have interpreted it all. I do know they were just talking about the debut of Women's Wrestling at the Games, and they showed her in the matroom and demonstrating a few throws/scores. Wish I had it on tape now because she went on to win a Bronze Medal but then was one of the 25-30 of all athletes at the Games who were stripped of a medal due to testing positive for banned substances.

I couldn't tell you which ones came on which channels, but here's what was on altogether:

Women's Freestyle

48kg, Pool- Miranda (USA) d. Oorzhak (Russia), 8-7

55kg, Pool- O'Donnell (USA) d. Smirnova (Russia), Fall 4:26

48kg, Pool- Miranda (USA) d. Mayelis (Venezuela), 11-1 in 4:55

48kg, Semifinal- Merleni (Ukraine) d. Miranda (USA), 9-0

63kg, Semifinal- McMann (USA) d. Zygouri (Greece), Fall 0:49

63kg, Gold Medal Final- Icho (Japan) d. McMann (USA), 3-2

Women's Gold Medal Winners- matches were not shown, only given a brief look at the winners at the other 3 weight classes; short time due to long Women's Soccer game preceding it

Greco-Roman

66kg, Pool- Arkodeaus (Greece) d. Wood (USA), 9-3

120kg, Pool- Lopez (Cuba) d. Yevseychyk (Israel), 5-0

84kg, Pool- Mohamed (Egypt) d. Vering (USA), 4-0

55kg, Pool- Hall (USA) d. Svehla (Czech. Republic), 3-2

55kg, Pool- Vakulenko (Ukraine) d. Hall (USA), 3-0

120kg, Pool- Gardner (USA) d. Mikulski (Poland), 3-0 (Preceded with backstory on Rulon; only aired the 2nd period.)

96kg, Pool- Koguashvili (Russia) d. Lidberg (Sweden), 3-1 in OT

60kg, Pool- Nazarian (Bulgaria) d. Eigharably (Egypt), 7-3

96kg, Pool- Cheglakov (Uzbekistan) d. Kostins (Latvia), 3-2

96kg, Pool- Pena (Cuba) d. Lowney (USA), 3-1

66kg, Gold Medal Final- Mansurov (Azerbaijan) d. Eroglu (Turkey), 4-3

55kg, Gold Medal Final- Majoros (Hungary) d. Mamadaliev (Russia), 3-1 in OT

120kg, Bronze Medal Final- Gardner (USA) d. Barzi (Iran), 3-0 in OT (Only aired the OT and his retirement ritual.)

60kg, Semifinal- Jung Ji Hyun (Korea) d. Nazarian (Bulgaria), 3-1

60kg, Semifinal- Monzon (Cuba) d. Shevtsov (Russia), 6-3

74kg, Semifinal- Yli-Hannuksela (Finland) d. Bucher (Switzerland), 3-0

74kg, Semifinal- Dokturishivili (Uzbekistan) d. Samourgachev (Russia), 3-2

96kg, Semifinal- Nozadze (Georgia) d. Hashemzadeh (Iran), 4-2

96kg, Semifinal- Ibrahim (Egypt) d. Ozal (Turkey), 11-0 in 1:09

96kg, Gold Medal Final- Ibrahim (Egypt) d. Nozadze (Georgia), 12-1 in 3:22

Freestyle

55kg, Pool- Abas (USA) d. Tulbea (Moldova), 6-1

66kg, Pool- Kelly (USA) d. Bodisteanu (Moldova), 3-0 in OT

120kg, Pool- McCoy (USA) d. Mildzihov (Kyrgyzstan), 4-0

84kg, Quarterfinal- Sanderson (USA) d. Khodaei (Iran), 6-5 in OT

74kg, Pool- Williams (USA) d. Sagherashvili (Georgia), 6-1

84kg, Semifinal- Sanderson (USA) d. Romero (Cuba), 3-2

66kg, Semifinal- Kelly (USA) d. Murtazaliev (Russia), 3-1 in OT

55kg, Semifinal- Abas (USA) d. Tanabe (Japan), 3-0 (Only aired the 2nd period.)

60kg, Pool- Purevbattar (Mongolia) d. Guerrero (USA), 3-1 in OT

96kg, Pool- Cormier (USA) d. Valach (Austria), 9-0

74kg, Pool- Gevorgyan (Armenia) d. Ackerman (Great Britain), 11-0 in 3:18

84kg, Gold Medal Final- Sanderson (USA) d. Moon Eui Jae (Korea), 3-1

84kg Medal Ceremony

96kg, Pool- Cormier (USA) d. Bartnicki (Poland), 10-1

74kg, Quarterfinal- Fundora (Cuba) d. Igali (Canada), 3-1 (Only aired the 2nd period.)

74kg, Quarterfinal- Laliyev (Kazakhstan) d. Williams (USA), 3-2 in OT

96kg, Quarterfinal- Heidari (Iran) d. Aghayev (Azerbaijan), 5-0

60kg, Gold Medal Final- Quintana (Cuba) d. Jokar (Iran), 4-0

74kg, Gold Medal Final- Satiev (Russia) d. Laliyev (Kazakhstan), 7-0 (Only aired the 2nd period.)

96kg, Bronze Medal Final- Heidari (Iran) d. Cormier (USA), 3-2 in OT

96kg, Gold Medal Final- Gatsalov (Russia) d. Ibragimov (Uzbekistan), 4-1 (Only aired the 2nd period.)

120kg Gold Medal Final- Taymazov (Usbekistan) d. Rezaii (Iran), Fall 4:33 (Only aired the final minute of the match.)

Thanks Bama. I probably could have done a better job of looking for detailed schedules. I tried to record all the Olympic segments and then fast-forward through the recording until I found wrestling. Somehow that didn't work too well.

I understand that "they" (FILA?) are going to change the format of international freestyle wrestling. Something along the lines of three match-play (best two out of three) two minute periods in which each period stands alone. Do you or anyone else reading this post, know if this is true? If so, why and what do you think of the idea.

PS: After posting this I saw that there is another string on this message board concerning these changes.

Edited by michael.geasley