Look at this

CoachGonyeaSHS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Mark has a great point about the unfair situation some regions have been put in due to this new change. How can the TSSAA honestly look at the new dual format and the new regions and convince themselves that it is a fair. We here at Tullahoma are still stuck with 13 teams that we have to compete against in order to qualify for the region dual tournament. The other district in our Region has half the teams in there district. I find it hard to swallow that this new format is considered fair or even workable. I am not pointing any fingers but for example look at Region 4 where Red Bank & Soddy Daisy will always qualify for their region duals. Many might say and most would be right that Soddy Daisy would make their region duals regardless of how many teams where in their district. That is not the point of what is going on with the uneven split in Region 5, which will not be changed due to the point this has happend and we just have to live with it, because the TSSAA will not change until it is something they want to happen. I agree with the large / small school dual state tournament, it is a great idea. The current solution is not fair to all and should be revamped before this season begins. For any school that falls into this situation, it has caused a schedule nightmare by having to wrestle all 12 of the other district 9 teams. So I am having to use many of my dates to complete this task which causes my team to miss out on some great wrestling because I have no dates. On the flip side of that teams in the other district of Region 5 will continue to wrestle the 4 or 5 teams in their district and have a better opportunity to make a better (Tougher) schedule, because of their mere number of dates. I can't speak for any other coach in the state but trying to obtain a district dual plaque is important to me and my wrestlers. Now many regions and their districts will get these plaques by default instead of competing for them. These are my thoughts and I have no reserves about speaking my opinion on a matter that should be important to all coaches whether it directly affects your team in either a good or bad manner

So I am having to use many of my dates to complete this task which causes my team to miss out on some great wrestling because I have no dates. On the flip side of that teams in the other district of Region 5 will continue to wrestle the 4 or 5 teams in their district and have a better opportunity to make a better (Tougher) schedule, because of their mere number of dates. I can't speak for any other coach in the state but trying to obtain a district dual plaque is important to me and my wrestlers. Now many regions and their districts will get these plaques by default instead of competing for them.

825321591[/snapback]

I am a little confused on the issue, if you have a tougher schedule outside of you district, and it is important for you and your wrestlers to get a dual plaque, then it sounds like the competiion is not so bad that you can't get the plaque. I mean, since you imply that the better competition is outside of your district.

On the other hand, if getting the toughest schedule is important for the individual tournament, then it is a different kind of problem or issue.

further, if other teams get them by default, your team will get the chance to show that they did not deserve them, when you face them in the duals tournament after regions are complete.

Just my observation and opinion.

Edited by texas23

District 9 Region 5 does not have the toughest teams year in and year out. Although District 10 of our region has 3-4 tough teams each year. For example Franklin, Brentwood, and Centennial. But the argument is that I have to waste dates because the mere number of teams that I have to wrestle within my district, and there are many other teams in other districts that don't have to waste those dates because they have a significantly smaller district. Why should Bradley Central wrestle and win 1 match to be district champions in their region. On the other hand why does a district 9 (region 5) team have to win 12 matches in order to win their district dual. So for example Red Bank who is 0-1 in their district will recieive a district runner-up plaque and the opportunity to wrestle for a shot in state duals. Now can you say that another team who must defeat 12 different teams within their district just to possibly receive a district plaque, now where is the fairness in that classification. As any coach I want to wrestle the best teams and tournament that I can for my kids to get the best compeition. When other teams who have 1 or 3 schools in their district that opens up more dates for that coach to take his kids to the best tournaments or wrestle the better teams. When you have 12 teams that you must wrestle for a district match then you have used more dates thatn a coach that doesn't have that many teams as we do here in region 5. I just want a even slate where each district has close to the same amount of teams to compete against. I don't think I or anyone who agrees with me is asking for something that is fair. Just keep it fair thats all.

Edited by millerj

In other words, what makes sense here would be to split Region 5 into four districts for dual-meet purposes instead of two. Say District 9 would be Franklin/Lincoln/Warren/Shelbyville/Tullahoma, District 10 the city of Murfreesboro, 11 Wilson and North Rutherford, and 12 the current District 10. Kinda like how in bowling, each region can have a different quantity of districts.

using that example, ask the TSSAA to send Tullahoma into the same district Bradley or Cleveland or event the district that Soddy Daisy or Red Bank is in. If the goal is to get a plaque for the team, it seems like you might be better off, although Franklin is gonna be stacked this year and that could make it tough.

I do agree that if it is just a pure number of teams issue, that needs to be corrected and give the appearence of a level starting point in regards to dates that are needed to meet the rules for district competition. Eleven dates seems like to much out of your potential schedule.

Oops--the Franklin I referred to in my new-style D9 was Franklin County. Franklin High is in D10 (my suggested D12) with the rest of county Williamson.

Since the regions are clearly just the individual regions reduced to their AAA members alone, I don't see that being messed with. But district alignment within a region is another matter entirely.

Jimmy....2 suggestions.

1. Have a single elimination district dual tournament on a Saturday or over Christmas.

2. There is no rule that says you must wrestle everyone in your district. Our district does not. For example, last year we did not wrestle Creekwood, but we were still crowned district champs.

I believe number 1 would be better for your scenario since most of the teams in your district are pretty equal when it comes to duals.

Johnny

Mark...Still no reply.

Quick question - if that is the large schools list...for Region One we have just Elizabethton in District 1 and Chuckey-Doak and West Greene in District 2 in small schools. This means that the same teams will be fighting our small school battle each and every year. Are there any other regions where this is the case?