strongest soph.

OL76

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would just like to revise a previous post on this board. i had said that my man cofer was benching about 315. not any more. last i checked, which was a couple of weeks ago, he was up to 365 and he is steadily rising. the thing is, this kid only weighs about 250 now. if i had to bet, i'd say he'll be doing around 400 by the time football comes around. good luck to cofer and to the 2002 eagles.

Guest bwebbmha

im a senior in high school and can bench 325 and believe it is important to lift, but i wont worry about weight room stregenth until they put a bar and @@@@ on the 50 yard line. There are players who cant lift weights if thier life depended on it but when it comes to strappin on the pads and bucklin the chin strap they might bench 210 but when they hit u it feels a heck of a lot more than that.

bwebbmha, you've got a point, but every point has a counter. you're right, there are guys who can get away with being weaker by having heart and desire. but what happens when the 5'11 195lb guard with a mean streak meets up with the 6'5 285lb weight room warrior who also has mean streak? isn't it just better to use all the tools you have at your disposal, to be the BEST that you can be? and if you plan on playing at the next level, i'll clue you in on a secret......EVERYBODY is strong. so its a good idea to hit the weights hard and often now. good luck to you.

i agree with bwebbmha. lifting only helps the people who aren't scared to use their strength and will stick their head in their every play. it is very important to be strong but i think it is more important to have that killer instinct to get the job done. on my team 2 years ago we had a guy who could bench 340, squat 550, and power clean 275. easily the strongest on our team. but, this guy was scared to hit somebody. he was also very stiff, no flexibility whatsoever. he was always pulling muscles and cramping so his strength did not help our team one iota. i would take a 5-7 165 pounder with the heart of a lion over some 250 weight room freak that is scared any day.

OSKensteph27: David Sharp has been and should be listed as a prospect. The fact that he is not still listed is something I will check into immediately. In fact, I will relist him but am still wondering what happened to the original listing. Believe me, he belongs on the list.

Guest almostthere

i am the runningback from loretto. i have played against sharp. He is a great athlete, but i think some of those stats may be a lil overstated. his speed is close, but i would say it is more like 4.5-4.65. The bench is definatly off. our strongest guy benched 440 i think and he is getting a full ride. i tackled sharpe a few times and he didn't feel like he could even come close 2 400 lbs. i benched 365 last year and i thought that was good. i also squated 850, but that was on a fixed squat, not a free squat so don't start callin me a lier.