Union City

jasper

The school itself has a Boosters Club which distributes money to the sports programs in the schools system. The football program is the best supported sports program in Union City because of the amount of money it takes to field a football team. They have a great stadium - War Memorial - a top of the line fieldhouse and athletic building complete with artificial turf and also two practice fields. Plus, the Tornadoes are sporting new uniforms this season. So, yes, they are well supported.

The feeder program is Union City Middle School...they are currently undefeated and clinched their district title this week. There is a good deal of talent on the junior high Tornadoes.

As to going to 1A helping the program, there are different opinions on that subject in UC...but, their strength of schedule will go down a bit next season. Hard to compete with this year's schedule of Jackson Central Merry - undefeated, Hillcrest - undefeated, Jackson Northside, Milan - undefeated, Huntingdon - undefeated, Dresden, Westview, Trenton Peabody, Humboldt - undefeated and Obion County Central. Going into tonight's games their opponents are 13-9.

this may come under new topic but it is about union city,so I'll try. I heard that the Union City school is going to combine with the Obion County Central program. Anyone got any info.

825337350[/snapback]

This is a topic that is being discussed by a committee of the city council, county commissions and some independent people. It will always remain a possibility, but consolidation is still quite a ways off, if it is to even happen. And don't look for one high school. There will be a school in Troy and one in Union City. OC is building a new school, and it wouldn't have the size to handle total consolidation. So you may see one school system...but still 3 county high schools. At least these are my thoughts.

Well, I know some people associated with the UC Booster Club, but I'm a little uncomfortable about putting their names and addresses/phone numbers in an open forum like this ... even though I know it would be perfectly safe with our tight-nit coachT group. .... The thing to do, I think, would be to contact the high school and someone there can give you all the info you'll need. ..... And, please follow up b/c I'm sure the Booster Club would love to hear from any an all alums. :o .... speaking of, I need to join up, too. :D

This is a topic that is being discussed by a committee of the city council, county commissions and some independent people. It will always remain a possibility, but consolidation is still quite a ways off, if it is to even happen. And don't look for one high school. There will be a school in Troy and one in Union City. OC is building a new school, and it wouldn't have the size to handle total consolidation. So you may see one school system...but still 3 county high schools.

C'Mon folks, this is all about how local politics work.. Over 20 years ago, UC had a hand in consolidating the county K-8 schools :D without having to pay any expense for it.. The powers that be had two "COUNTY" schools built just outside the city limits to educate UC kids.. These kids are going on to OC schools which makes sense & that's why UC numbers are getting smaller :o NOW!! by state law if the UC school system decides to disband as a city school system the county school system, by state law, has to take them.. I do agree with OCRebel in the fact that there still will be three county high schools, but with this disbandment the UC folks can build a new high school and the Entire County will pay for it! :o ANT AMERICA GREAT OR WHAT?? :o

This is a topic that is being discussed by a committee of the city council, county commissions and some independent people. It will always remain a possibility, but consolidation is still quite a ways off, if it is to even happen. And don't look for one high school. There will be a school in Troy and one in Union City. OC is building a new school, and it wouldn't have the size to handle total consolidation. So you may see one school system...but still 3 county high schools.

C'Mon folks, this is all about how local politics work.. Over 20 years ago, UC had a hand in consolidating the county K-8 schools :o without having to pay any expense for it.. The powers that be had two "COUNTY" schools built just outside the city limits to educate UC kids.. These kids are going on to OC schools which makes sense & that's why UC numbers are getting smaller :o NOW!! by state law if the UC school system decides to disband as a city school system the county school system, by state law, has to take them.. I do agree with OCRebel in the fact that there still will be three county high schools, but with this disbandment the UC folks can build a new high school and the Entire County will pay for it! :D ANT AMERICA GREAT OR WHAT?? :o

825338861[/snapback]

How did Union City have a hand in consolidating the county K-8 schools? Why would they want to lose students to another school and thus lose the funding coming from the state? The UC City Council and School Board had nothing to do with the county K-8 schools consolidating. That was a situation that was needed in the county and their school system should be applauded for getting it done when they did. The students have very nice schools to help in their education.

In fact, the OC School Board put two of the new K-8 schools close to Union City to attract students living in the city limits and it worked. Ridgemont is only three miles or so from the city limits and Lake Road is about 5 miles or so from UC.

I'm sorry, the city residents did pay for a new K-8 school - it's called Union City Elementary School.

Union City residents did have a hand in paying for the county schools...they all pay county taxes. Actually, the UC residents help pay for two school systems. Plus, there has been no talk of building a new high school in UC. The current high school opened in the mid 70s and is in good condition.

A good deal of this county vs city junk is blown out of proportion. The idea of consolidating the two school systems has been bantered about, but it is on the back burned and set to a very low setting at the moment. Don't look for it to happen any time soon.

As to joining the Union City Boosters Club - call the school at 731 885-2373 and they will tell you whom to call to join.