Sports section

chewalla

I don't understand the reasoning behind the front page of the Jackson Sun's Saturday sports page. It is basically only a dominant picture and the game stories are on the inside. I just want to read some game stories on the front page.

The fact Dan Morris no longer works in sports hurts them, but surely they can find writers to staff more games. There has to be good people at one of the colleges that would be glad to work as stringers at one of the games.

I miss Dan's game writing because he was very good. Gannett needs to loosen the tight budget some and allow them to have better sports coverage. I don't even want to talk about their high school basketball coverage.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the front page of the Jackson Sun's Saturday sports page.  It is basically only a dominant picture and the game stories are on the inside.  I just want to read some game stories on the front page.

825338178[/snapback]

Having taken classes in newspaper design, I can tell you that's exactly the way you're supposed to design a front page. Too much text with no good picture leads to most people turning to something else, which defeats the point.

Also, all the advertising is inside, and don't forget, the purpose of news coverage is to get people to see the ads, so you want people looking inside the paper.

You show me another regular newspaper, not a tabloid like the New York Post, that has no game story at all on the front page. I have an idea they do it to save time and get that page completed early in the night. I'm guessing the photos were made early in the South Side-JCM game.

It is a newspaper and not Sports Illustrated. I know they have a tough job on Friday night, but I just don't agree with the way they lay it out on Saturday.

They try hard to cover everyone in their main circulation area. If they only covered the teams in Jackson, I doubt they would sell many papers outside Madison County.

A problem with a lot of newspapers is the advertising department dictates what goes on at that paper. I don't think that is the way it should be at all.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the front page of the Jackson Sun's Saturday sports page.  It is basically only a dominant picture and the game stories are on the inside.  I just want to read some game stories on the front page.

825338178[/snapback]

You mean you couldn't turn the page to read the stories? I thought nothing about reaching up with my left hand while my right hand held the paper steady and turning the page to find the stories. Maybe I'm in the minority, but the lack of a game story on the front page affected me not at all.

Volunteer[/url'>General' date='Sep 12 2004 - 07:35 PM']

I kinda liked the front picture Saturday. thumb

825338374[/snapback]

[/quote Iam not talking about when they go out of town to cover one of our local teams,but when they go and take pitchers of out of town high schools instead of covering whats going on in jackson thats just wrong. By the way i beleave i will go and check out the cougers fri night. Will you start somthing on here about the game with [url=http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=121&SportID=1]Dyersburg? GO EAGLES!