Poor sportsmanship

topgame

This is just a general observation and has nothing to do with the Riverdale/Siegel game.  I don't think it is just a matter of being able to tune the crowd out. Sometimes the crowd gets obnoxious, vulgar, or abusive.  I don't think that should ever be allowed. Cheering and supporting your team should be just that--not a forum to curse at or toward the girls, or a time to berate or demean the other team. Sometimes people cross the line. Kids see adults behaving badly and think that it is appropriate or acceptable. Sorry, but I don't think booing is ever really appropriate.

825357258[/snapback]

Well I guess that's just the competitiveness in me. When someone booed me it made me want it that much more. And when you win, it makes you feel that much better.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purely for thought:

Siegel's coach is one of the kindest and most helpful people I've run into in quite a while. I've been told they were outstanding hosts at last year's state tournament, and served the officials on bended knee, even for the smallest requests. The girls were excitedly serving officials and other teams and shagging balls, the parents took care of hospitality, and of course, the coach was the facility administrator. This speaks highly of their program, and based on this reputation, I have a hard time believing that Siegel's bunch was disrespectful in an outrageous way.

Also, a gym FULL of people yelling is completely different from a silent gym with one person yelling. There's nothing wrong with a gym full of people yelling. There IS something wrong with a quiet gym that has one person yelling.

Seigels coach is nice. I never said she wasnt. A group of siegel students were not. I am not talking about a load group cheering either. I am talking about a group that never uttered a sound until one of Riverdales girls was serving or getting ready to hit. They had the express purpose of messing up Riverdale.

As for booing or cheering AGAINST the other team instead of cheering for your team , I feel it is wrong but that in itself isnt 1/4 th as bad as what these guys were doing.

So you're telling me in volleyball, you can throw someone out for booing or yelling during a serve...???  B)

825359922[/snapback]

If it's a relatively quiet gym and then a couple of fans yell expressly and only during the serve, YES. The intent is not to support the team, rather to disrupt the server. I'll give them one warning, and on the second offense, they're out. There's a lot of things that fans can do, whether players/coaches/officials like it or not, but that's not one of them. If you have the whole gym yelling, that's another issue entirely.

Grad,

Think in terms of "youth athletics" vs. athletics.

In youth athletics the YOUTH part is more important than the athletics part.

Adults sometimes forget that youth athletics is more about kids than scoreboards, more about kids' esteem than adults' esteem. Youth athletics exists for the growth of youths B) not to make adults feel important or like winners-by-association ...we are just supposed to cheer them on and be happy for kid's efforts, no matter what color shirt they wear and no matter what the scoreboard happens to say.

We don't want ANY youth to fail, right? Really, that is what it all comes down to. Do we really want a kid to fail just because she goes to school in another building?? Of course not! What team they are on doesn't really matter, we want all kids to do well and grow. And, whoever wins, well, they won, great. From a purist point of view- a win is hollow if the other team didn't play well or if we had to yell at 15 yr old girls to make them mess up? Their failure DOES NOT mean our success.

It is natural to pull for kids we know or birthed or coached, but it doesn't have to follow that therefore "other" KIDS or teams are the enemy and we should cheer when they fall short. Let's save our "we are good because we are we and you are bad because you are you" thinking for invading other countries ..Oops, better not go there. So, cheering FOR is great, but, cheering AGAINST a kid or yelling in order to make a KID fail ...why is that a good or apporpriate or mature thing??

and thanks, whoever you are.

Thanks ComPassion, that post does put things in perspective. In the heat of battle, I'll admit that I forget the big picture sometimes. I'm a very competitive person and sometimes I am guilty of wishing that the opponent would shank a pass or two. I guess I have some soul searching to do.

Most of the time, though, I am hoping that our girls to do well, not hoping the other team does badly. I would bet that I am a pretty typical adult fan with complicated feelings about this cheering subject. Most fans that cheer to try to mess someone up are students without the maturity to know better.

Edited by Cowboys Up

i'm sry but i've been to a girls high school volleyball match and there are like 5 kids there. and they usually aren't watching. how big of a difference could it of made. and come on part of a sport is being able to overcome things mentally. keeping u head in the game. if they can't keep their concentration because of 3 or 4 kids yelling they need to take up band or chess. because nobody yells at them.

Grad,

Think in terms of "youth athletics" vs. athletics.

In youth athletics the YOUTH part is more important than the athletics part.

Adults sometimes forget that youth athletics is more about kids than scoreboards, more about kids' esteem than adults' esteem.  Youth athletics exists for the growth of youths  :)  not to make adults feel important or like winners-by-association ...we are just supposed to cheer them on and be happy for kid's efforts, no matter what color shirt they wear and no matter what the scoreboard happens to say.

We don't want ANY youth to fail, right?  Really, that is what it all comes down to.  Do we really want a kid to fail just because she goes to school in another building??  Of course not!  What team they are on doesn't really matter, we want all kids to do well and grow.  And, whoever wins, well, they won, great.  From a purist point of view- a win is hollow if the other team didn't play well or if we had to yell at 15 yr old girls to make them mess up?  Their failure DOES NOT mean our success.

It is natural to pull for kids we know or birthed or coached, but it doesn't have to follow that therefore "other" KIDS or teams are the enemy and we should cheer when they fall short.  Let's save our "we are good because we are we and you are bad because you are you" thinking for invading other countries  ..Oops, better not go there.  So, cheering FOR is great, but, cheering AGAINST a kid or yelling in order to make a KID fail ...why is that a good or apporpriate or mature thing??

and thanks, whoever you are.

825359980[/snapback]

Ok, I understand your point...I think it does depend greatly on the level of competition. When I yell at an opposing player at a sporting event it's not to belittle them, it's to try and get in their head.....but I understand your point.

At the Blackman tournament this weekend, as our girls were tossing the ball up during their serve, one of the mothers from a Nashville team began shrieking a cheer for her team. We took exception to it because she was sitting directly behind our girls (at floor level). It was in one of the gyms where the fan section was very close to the service line. Our line judge asked her nicely not to do that until after the serve was over. She told him that she could cheer anyway she wanted. The line judge went to the ref and complained. The ref got off the stand and talked to the woman. She continued to act like a jerk for a few minutes, but at least she did it fairly quietly.

It would never have occurred to us to do that to their girls when they were on our side of the court. Her intention was obvious--to cause a disruption when our girls served. It's one thing to cheer and support your team, but it's another to be disruptive. It was in a gym where they had fan sections on both sides. She chose to sit on our side (instead of sitting behind her own team).