Poor sportsmanship

topgame

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a whole gym full of noise that they could tune out. It was just the garden variety cheering and game noise that goes on when there are four teams on two courts. This wasn't a kid, or a bunch of kids. This was a 40+ year old woman who was shrieking (not cheering) as "kids" were trying to serve.

Remember ComPassion's post:

Adults sometimes forget that youth athletics is more about kids than scoreboards, more about kids' esteem than adults' esteem. Youth athletics exists for the growth of youths not to make adults feel important or like winners-by-association ...we are just supposed to cheer them on and be happy for kid's efforts, no matter what color shirt they wear and no matter what the scoreboard happens to say.

It is natural to pull for kids we know or birthed or coached, but it doesn't have to follow that therefore "other" KIDS or teams are the enemy and we should cheer when they fall short. Let's save our "we are good because we are we and you are bad because you are you" thinking for invading other countries ..Oops, better not go there. So, cheering FOR is great, but, cheering AGAINST a kid or yelling in order to make a KID fail ...why is that a good or apporpriate or mature thing??

This is just another case of adults behaving badly. She deserved to be called down. I'm sorry you feel it is okay for adults to try to intimidate "kids". I've been to a lot of OHS volleyball games. They are always positive cheerers. They don't sink so low as to try to intimidate girls while they play volleyball!

You may feel differently when you actually have kids that play. You do develop a different perspective when your kids are involved.

Obviously Grad and the waterboy are not adults. You can not possibly defend what the lady did at this volleyball match. Where would you draw the line...first it's yelling, then what. If you can't win with your own talents get off the court or playing field. If you want to get in someone's head, try searching in your own for some sense and sensibility. Let the players determine the outcome.

Obviously Grad and the waterboy are not adults. You can not possibly defend what the lady did at this volleyball match. Where would you draw the line...first it's yelling, then what. If you can't win with your own talents get off the court or playing field. If you want to get in someone's head, try searching in your own for some sense and sensibility. Let the players determine the outcome.

825366194[/snapback]

Obviously I'm not an adult? Because I have no problem with "disrupting" someone's serve...like I said, when I'm pitching, or shooting a free throw, or serving a volleyball, my attitude is "Bring it on!"

You can't tell me it's any different than pitching or shooting a free throw....

You may be an "adult", but you are probably not an adult who has a child playing. Trust me, your perspective changes about a lot of things (not just sports) when your child is playing. Being an adult and being a mature adult are often two different things.

Look us up in a few years when you are older and more mature. I'll bet that your opinions about a lot of things have changed. You are looking at it from a player's perspective. We are looking at it from a different perspective. I'll also bet that their line judge and parents would have taken exception if the tables were turned and we were "up close and personal" with their players when they were serving.

Haven't there been a couple of occasions in Chattanooga when fans from opposing football teams have gotten into fights in the parking lot and the police had to be called? That's just a case of people not knowing what's appropriate and what's not. Bad behavior is bad behavior. You expect it more in boys' athletics than in girls'.

You are entitled to your opinion, but we are not wrong because we have a different opinion. We just have the benefit of a few more years of experience in dealing with all kinds of things. :lol: