Can anyone beat Riverdale?

jasper

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and 1st stringers absolutely manhandle MBA and BA in scrimmages then theres no doubt in my mind at least that nobody in this state can handle them..... team speed....disciplined....great receivers...RB's secondary insane D line on and on theres no touching them i will be surprised if anyone beside DB gets within 2 TD's

825354343[/snapback]

I'll be quick to pound the table that Riverdale is the best team in the state (DI and DII) right now, but let's clarify a couple of matters.

First, Riverdale beat Brentwood High, not BA, in its second scrimmage.

Secondly, the score between the 1's in the MBA scrimmage was 21-7 in favor of Riverdale, with an undermanned (due to injuries to multiple starters prior to the scrimmage) MBA team being stuffed on a fourth down goal line stand that would have cut it to one score in the 1's versus 1's scrimmage.

Don’t get me wrong - even with the Big Red fully healthy now, Riverdale is quite better than MBA - but I think the use of the word "manhandle" can be a little misleading, especially in the context of a first scrimmage (in 2003, CPA's 1's tied MBA's 1's in a scrimmage, two weeks after MBA's 1's beat Riverdale's 1's by a couple of TDs in a scrimmage - Riverdale then goes out and beats CPA by 40+ in Week 1 --> go figure). MBA has generally had the upper hand over Riverdale in prior years' scrimmages, yet even thought MBA is down somewhat this year, I think Riverdale's showing in the MBA scrimmage, as well as in its first few regular season games, leads me to believe that this Riverdale team truly is special. I do think that D-B will be a more-than-worthy contender, though.

What is the sudden obsession with Huntingdon? No disrespect to Huntingdon - they have a long history and are in the top 6 or so in all-time wins in Tennessee - but they just won their FIRST state title last year, and that was in the second smallest classification in Division I. Granted, it was an impressive win, but Lipscomb's half-dozen or so turnovers didn't hurt.

This year may be a different animal - Riverdale is plain loaded and DII-AAA may be slightly down - but in most years, give me one of the top 2 or 3 Super 7 teams (which have owned I-5A and I-4A over the years since the split, including having had non-champs to give the 5A champs their only losses the past two years) long before a I-2A champion to play against the top 5A team.

riverdale's quality of competition is not nearly the level it would need to be for me to ever say they are the best team in the state. last year the top three teams in DIIAAA (CBHS, BA, MBA) would have all beaten Riverdale. They are a good team and have a good chance of winning state. However I wouldn't proclaim them the best team in the state and I would never say they are unbeatable.

What is the sudden obsession with Huntingdon?  No disrespect to Huntingdon - they have a long history and are in the top 6 or so in all-time wins in Tennessee - but they just won their FIRST state title last year, and that was in the second smallest classification in Division I.  Granted, it was an impressive win, but Lipscomb's half-dozen or so turnovers didn't hurt.

This year may be a different animal - Riverdale is plain loaded and DII-AAA may be slightly down - but in most years, give me one of the top 2 or 3 Super 7 teams (which have owned I-5A and I-4A over the years since the split, including having had non-champs to give the 5A champs their only losses the past two years) long before a I-2A champion to play against the top 5A team.

825354494[/snapback]

And given the fact that Huntingdon lost to a team tonight that was 2-2 going into the game, I'd say that lends even less credence to Huntingdon's chances of beating Riverdale.