Brentwood 17 Franklin 16

FHSrebel27

First off, congratulations to the Bruins. Great game to watch tonight, well worth the 5 bucks (though Franklin losing kinda makes me wish I hadn't driven the 8 hours... I hadn't been to a game all year, FHS was 6-0, I show up, FHS is now 6-1... hmmmm). Brief recap for those of you who weren't there. Franklin picks of BHS on their 2nd play from scrimmage but the Rebels would have to settle for a David Campbell field goal (can't recall the length). The teams traded punts back and forth until the last two minutes or so of the first half whe Brentwood put together a drive. Let me say this before what I'm about to say... I AM NOT USING THE FOLLOWING AS AN EXCUSE FOR FRANKLIN LOSING...

Brentwood calls a timeout with 1:15 to play in the half. The next play, McCurdy scrambles around in the pocket but is forced to just run out of bounds. There's a problem though, the clock didn't run. I don't guess aynone but a couple people around me noticed this. Then, there was a seemingly phantom personal foul on Franklin (it was on the far sideline, so I can't really say much about that all) that gave Brentwood the ball at the Franklin 35. Would have been a lengthy field goal from there, especially since they through an incomplete pass with 7 or so seconds remaning, thus giving them time to run one more play that let them get within field goal range and kick it with 1.something on the clock. They wouldn't have had that time if the clock had ran.

BUT, that being said... they still in the long run scored more points than Franklin, thus, they are the winner. How did they end up scoring more points? Franklin runs an awesome play. I call myself smart when it comes to football and I know there's a name for the play they ran, but I can't think of it right now. Anyways, they score on a long pass for 6. The extra point was blocked! Brentwood scores with 6:00 to play in the game, make their extra point, ball game.

There's plenty more that can be said. I'm sure my other fellow FHS fans will add their thoughts. Again, congrats to BHS.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the personal foul you were talking about, but I probably wouldn't have anyway, our players were probably in the way of view from my side.

Anyway, congrats to Franklin for their very good performance, y'all played very well, and did enough to scare the bejeezus out of me on a number of occasions.

The crowd was pretty hostile, though. B)

That said, good game, great play on both sides.

Most definitely there was a personal foul. #40 tackled McCurdy when he was out of bounds (no harm at that point as a few plays previous he did the same thing and wasn't called for it). When McCurdy tried to get up he grabbed his leg and tackled him AGAIN. Personal Foul. Clear as day on the replay.

Congrats to Rebels on putting up a good fight. Tremendous game last night-Bruins came in as the decided underdog with their backs against the wall, and returned to their pre-slump form. Still have some work to do offensively, but the defense looked solid. Watters held to a season low rushing yards. Better execution on the short passing game stopped the blitz.

First half, statistically, Bruins defense held Franklin to two first downs and 54 yards total offense. Franklin's first chance to score came on a deflected pass that was intercepted and brought back to the 9. From there, Bruin D pushed them back and surrendered a 27 yard field goal. Second half adjustments by Franklin had Milkrut running the ball more. The whole second half was punch-counterpunch. Big play was Welch coming up the middle to block the PAT. Bruins made clutch third down conversions all half. Franklin had the ball with 0 timeouts at about the 2:14 mark-Bruin defense holds three and out.

Hope #43 and the other Franklin players banged up get healthy.

Bruins extend their string at Howard Gamble Stadium. All is right with the world again!

Guest region4fan

This sounds like it was an edge of your seat kind of game.....well actually, a never sit down kind of game.

Rebel27.....sounds like you brought some bad luck with you. B) Just kidding, I know they were all thrilled to see you.

Hostile crowd......hahahahaha that's a good one.

Haha! Trust me, there were several people who made that remark tonight, that I was the reason we lost. I just find that funny since I wasn't out there... :rolleyes: But yeah, it was wonderful to see everyone again. You forget how special people are until you've been away from them for a while.

It was indeed a good game. ftt2, if that's what happened, then yes, it wouldn't be a phantom personal foul. I was just going based on what I saw and what others who had different vantage points (including a Brentwood student- yes, that's right, even FHSrebel27 has a couple Brentwood friends, even went out and congratulated Austin Huff afterwards) of it they hadn't seen anything either.

I would normally start formulating Region 6-5A playoff possibilities at this point but man, what a jam up top. This one's going to down to the end again.

I can probly tell you why the kick got blocked and i wasn't even at the game and i don't know anyone that was.There's really nothing to it really, any one with decent speed and some guts can run around the right side of the line and block the kick. Franklin doesn't even attempt to block on the right side and both Centennial and Brentwood were able to capitalize on this flaw. If franklin doesn't want anymore kicks blocked maybe they should try and block around the edges better. David Campbell is a good kicker and he shouldn't miss any field goals.

This would be pretty solid advice had it not been for the fact that Welch came straight up the middle and blocked the kick. I'd consider watching the game before hand next time, coach.

It was a great game, though. One to go down in history as one of the best, in my opinion, if Franklin-Brentwood history. You've got to give a lot of credit to both teams for playing balls-out all 4 quarters.

Just wanna wish a speedy recovery to #43 (Brooks Plummer I think?). Hope everything works out for him.

what a game, its to bad that there had to be a loser but imsure glad that it was franklin! it was a back and forth battle all night long with big plays by both teams, just gos to show you why region 6-5a is the best there is. O and for fhsreb12, its funny the two people you talked the most about sucking were the two that had big parts in the downfall of your undefeated season(Welch who blocked the kick, and heimerdinger who once again ran all over your secondary)and he may be slow, but he can definently play. Once again, brentwoods prayers go out to the downed franklin player, im sure this will not be the last time that these two teams meet this season and i cant wait for another incredible game. By the way, what a last quarter by the bruins safety brad lifsey, with an amazing catch to set up the go ahead score and the bone crunching hit on the last drive. Great win for brentwood as a team go get um bruins.

I can probly tell you why the kick got blocked and i wasn't even at the game and i don't know anyone that was.There's really nothing to it really, any one with decent speed and some guts can run around the right side of the line and block the kick. Franklin doesn't even attempt to block on the right side and both Centennial and Brentwood were able to capitalize on this flaw. If franklin doesn't want anymore kicks blocked maybe they should try and block around the edges better. David Campbell is a good kicker and he shouldn't miss any field goals.

825374048[/snapback]

AMEN BROTHER!!

Congratulations Brentwood you played well McCurdy,Dinger and Lifsey really played well and with the exception of the one pick, played flawless throw and catch. The D Line did a great job in the first half! Now about Franklin....

copied from other string

OK ...4 blocked FGs and 2 blocked extra points. Thats nothing more than bad coaching,PERIOD. FHS has enjoyed such special team prominance for the past three years with great kickers DeFatta and Campbell and such greeat return men in Bell and Nichols that they have been above reproach.

Well those days are now officially over! The kickers have talked to the coaching staff( 3weeks ago) and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been done differentlyexcept replace the snapper with a QB as the new snapper and snaps weren't the problem, outside blocking was) Now we get one blocked up the middle! I don't care if they snap it 7 yards , 10 yards or 20 yards to the holder... just DO SOMETHING!

And what is up with our defense...I'll admit I know nothing about playing in the secondary...I don't know Cover 2 from Cover 22 but what ever we're running is pitiful and if Briuce McCurdy goes 17 of 24 then Jennings will go 38 of 50!

How many times have we blitzed? How many times have we sent the DEs? This nonsense of the ends playing "CONTAIN" against QBs that pick us apart is starting to drive me absolutely crazy.

Franklin is not playing to win. We are playing to not lose. We are not getting after peole and playing with reckless abandon. We are playing schemes. When Danny Nowell yells at a kid in practice now he might as well be speaking Latin cause he has so many variations of 1 play and so many "buzz words" that a kid making a 1250 on the S.A.T. has a hard time following along.

If you wanted to beat Brentwood you had to put pressure on McCurdy, the average middle school player from the Grassland Generals knows as much, and yet we decide to play the exact same stlyle of defense we ALWAYS play CONTAIN! Well it didn't work against Clarksville and it didn't work against Brentwood and it should come as no surprise to anyone in Williamson County beside maybe Tim Johnson that it is not going to work against Ravenwood!