BGA walk-off homer?

salty

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the coach got confused and thought he was playin soccer or somethin! This is football fellas....YOU CANT END IN A TIE! Thats crazy.

825374967[/snapback]

Or, more likely got mad about something and pulled his team off the field in a childish snit....and later tried for some spin control in the Memphis paper after realizing the seriousness of his action.

Can't believe the BGA people are quiet on this matter. In Memphis they are calling you quitters too. I don't believe that for a minute.

Apparently the Bishop Byrne coach informed the officials that they were not going to play the overtime, no reason reported as of yet. Based on that, it will be a 1-0 forfeit. The TSSAA will contact the officials, and possibly both schools, on Monday to see if the stories they have are correct. If so, the 1-0 forfeit will be awarded to BGA.

Here's what the Memphis newspaper said about Friday's 14-14 game between BGA and Bishop Bryne

"Nashville Battle Ground Academy 14, Bishop Byrne 14 at BGA -- After playing deadlocked for four quarters, both teams decided not to play in overtime because it was a non-region game. Bishop Byrne had two goal line stands in the second half that resulted in no BGA points. Martin Yates picked off a pass and returned it 48 yards for a Bishop Byrne score."

Now you know the Memphis paper didn't staff a game in Nashville. They were getting the info from the BB staff.

Here's what Biddle said in his Sunday column: "Bishop Byrne and BGA played to a 14-14 deadlock in regulation Friday night. As they were preparing for overtime, longtime Bishop Byrne Coach Jack Grannan informed game officials his team was through, that it wouldn't play overtime.

BGA Coach Tim Moore and his players couldn't believe it as the Bishop Byrne team left the field and called it a night."

I wasn't at the game. Can someone who was there give us a little more info? Did the coaches shake hands after the game? Did the Bishop Bryne AD / Principal get involved?

Edited by Eddie

I wasn't at the game. Can someone who was there give us a little more info? Did the coaches shake hands after the game? Did the Bishop Bryne AD / Principal get involved?

825375131[/snapback]

Uhh ---- Jack Grannan IS the AD, and the Head Football Coach.

Why am I not surprised?

Edited by Huh?

i was at the game and what had happened was bishop byrne only wanted to prove they could play with bga and having done that they didnt find any reason for playing any longer

825375529[/snapback]

With all due respect to BGA - a school and program I admire - but did Bishop Byrne do any scouting of BGA? BGA was winless going into this game and was averaging just over seven points a game. "Playing with" BGA this year should not be considered a feather in the cap as it would have been in past years.

If Bishop Byrne truly walked off the field, administration should fire the coach Monday morning. Teaching kids to quit is no lesson I want my kids learning.

i play on the BGA football team. the game against bishop Byrne was won that we should have easily won. anyhow i can vouch for the whole team that everybody wanted to finish that game. we are without a win and we all wanted to make sure we got one.

it was the byrne coaches who refused to play the overime and there was nothing we could do about it. from what ive heard the game will go down as a 1-0 victory but all of the stats will stand.