jc press,fritz article

Logic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back Hablo! Great input like always. One thing that I would like to add is that although a persay stronger schedule makes a basketball team stronger I do not believe this is true in football. As long as you are playing in your class and not down then you are getting the well needed play you need every week. Risking injury by playing up in class doesn't make sense. Unaka is building a program and it is working just like their basketball progam. Unaka does not show their "Hubris" like Cloudland and run the score up by keeping their starters in. What Cloudland did last year was petty and unsportmanlike conduct. Their coaches should have been ashamed to have pulled such a stunt. This year when Unaka has gotten ahead they put the second and third string in and let them get experience. This is called leadership and proper coaching! The game of football is for the boys playing it. It helps them understand the concept of teamwork and leadership. The idiot that wrote this article does not understand football and if he ever played, he was probaly about as good at it as he is in writing about it. The boys playing Friday night will decide who wins, not some bias jerk in a newsroom. This guy needs to be fired!!!! I just pray everyone keeps their cool Friday night and that no one gets hurt. Remember as parents and fans we need to set the example.

well well well i usually wait to see who picks sides and then stradles the topics and it didnt take long on this one first for fritz i agree with logic wanted to say and didnt you cant handle uhs being successful in everything so you went publicly to embarass them well done just watch your back while on the creek as for mr to much to read at once hablo well done starman well you need to stop running for office and politicing and say something on one side so as

well well well i usually wait to see who picks sides and then stradles the topics and it didnt take long on this one first for fritz i agree with logic wanted to say and didnt you cant handle uhs being successful in everything so you went publicly to embarass them well done just watch your back while on the creek as for mr to much to read at once hablo well done starman well you need to stop running for office and politicing and say something on one side so as

825378091[/snapback]

cacadeltoro,

Not running for office nor is this about choosing sides. Unaka's football schedule has been criticized, so had Coach Keith trying to step in and fill so big shoes. Both have worked hard to achieve success. They deserve a pat of the back.

Coach Acie, "Summons Jordan" Carl's roost is much higher than than the basketball scorers table.

In defense of Starman, he is just pulling for the kids, no matter who they play for, which is something people need to be doing no matter where you live or what school you cheer for. They are kids, right?

To those who are still fuming over last year game, I cant say that I blame you but this is a new team with a new coach and you cant bash them for what happened in the past.

I am sure this will burn some people up but best of luck to the Rangers and the Landers!!!

I am a CYCLONE thru and thru, but I know some Rangers. One of my wifes best friends, daughter is a pitcher on the softball team. My cousins son plays B-Ball. Good people up there I know some of the teachers. We wish them well, I am glad they are undefeated I hope they go 10-0.

But there are a few fans who get on these posts and talk smak, about the other teams in the county. THis is what stirs some of the crap. I did not see Fritzs article, but he has away of stiring crap and whats funny he seems to be a hypersensitive individual himself.

We in Cyclone land wish the Rangers well, but dont tell us there is no difference between 4-a and 1-a football.

The Rangers have beat everyone put in front of them and that is a very good accomplishment. Be proud not boastful.

I think they have let him help with the girls in the past, but we Cyclones see him as a water-boy. I'm sorry he hurt you feelings, Logic, but most of us don't claim him as a coach. Furthermore, we don't let people like you change our reflections of Unaka Rangers ball programs. Thank goodness.

My first post in forever and a day.  Where does one begin?  First let me say in response to a previous post in this thread that I could care less about the past history of these two schools.  Everyone knows that we have not beaten them in years.  Everyone knows that not only have they beaten us, they have beaten us badly.  Everyone knows about their playoff experiences,- going all the way to the state finals a few years ago.  Yes Cloudland has been a football school for many years and Unaka has not.  But you know what?  Friday night on the field none of this matters.  This is here and now, which is what is great about sports.  Always a chance at redemption, always room for improvement.  And that is why the post I am referring to is assenine.  Read it carefully and you'll find that it takes place in two different tenses.  He reminds Unaka what they've got coming while making an implied reference to what Cloudland has always had.  Now why could that be?  Anyway, I don't have time to fool with a person who responds to a one-sentence topic starter thread with that kind of crap and drivel.  Moving on.

About the Fritz article.  When I read the first few sentences I was immediately wondering one thing.  Why.  Why the deviation from the standard, oh-so-insightful, pre-game analysis complete with final score prediction?  Was his crystal ball broken, or did he decide to stop being a sports writer and try his hand at an editorial?  Was he trying to set the stage and turn up the intensity of the game by writing this?  If so, he should really try to get out and about more, because that won't be necessary.  Perhaps he had a deadline and a bad case of writers block and decided to plagarize half of what I've read on Unaka football threads here?  Perhaps he thinks Unaka needs to be brought down a notch?  Heck I just don't know.  But I do know this:  you crossed a line, Mr. Fritz.  And here's why,- there is no relevance to your assertions.  It would be different if coaches were doing interviews bragging about their success and making inflated predictions about where this team is heading.  No one has done that.  It would be different if Coach Ensor had tried to secretly schedule more wins so that the Rangers would suddenly look mightier than they are.  He did not do that.  In fact, it was very publicly done.  Unaka started playing schools that it could better compete with last year.  In fact, they lost to both Hurley and Twin Springs last year.  You see, the idea was to play games and compete, build up interest, and then try to elevate the level of play, and yes- in that particular order.  The first and second have been accomplished.  The third doesn't happen overnight, but they are working on it, and moving in a positive direction, IMHO.  What Mr. Fritz did, without using the first bit of slanderous language, was to insult not only the coaching staff, school and community, but, most importantly, the boys that play.  Their accomplishments were downplayed by Mr. Fritz and all his schedule analysis of single A schools from Oakdale to Richmond.  You see, Mr. Fritz, what you (and so many naysayers on this board) don't understand is that although playoffs and state championships deal in absolutes, that success for a struggling program is relative.  We had a very small core group of players just a couple of years ago who played despite the criticism, scrutiny and losses,- and there was plenty of each.  A decision was made PUBLICLY to schedule more competitive games.  Last year the Rangers were 5-5.  They improved and this year they are 7-0, thus far.  That is huge.  Huge to all?  No.  But to these boys, this school and community?  Without question.  It is a taste of success, and success breeds success.  Honestly, other than perhaps some kid on this site trying to stir the pot, has anyone from Unaka predicted State Titles or going deep in the playoffs, or otherwise extreme predictions?  No.  Some of the boys may believe that (I hope they all do because someone without dreams is destined to be small), but they don't voice it.  They are just thrilled to be competing with their opponents, in significant numbers, and making strides.  On a side note, Mr. Fritz, if you are really going to waste your time telling about single A rankings in Virginia, then you could at least point out that they have a three tier classification system there and not a five tier one.  Have you ever actually seen top notch single A football in Virginia?  It's no slouch.  Appalachia used to be one of them.  About ten years ago.  They're not what they used to be either.  At any rate, stick to what you know (game analysis and predictions), or start lobbying the TSSAA to start a BCS type of system. 

As for our schedule, well, in one sense I am inclined to say that it is of no concern or consequence to anyone and that they should apply for a different job if they wish to have a say in it.  But I will refrain from stooping to that level.  So I will say this, because I haven't read where anyone has mentioned it here.  Football schedules are made out on a two year basis for the most part.  You know, the home and home thing.  I would look for a few changes next year if I were a betting man.  We couldn't cancel on our obligations for this season.  But come to think of it, why would we have?  Like I said above, we were only 5-5 last year!  Looks like someone should have done a better job padding schedules.  Those sneaky football coaches.

825377988[/snapback]

Well said, hablo.