Arbys Classic?

hshoops

Geez Rangerboy, you answered your own question. SH beat you by 21 and they arent even close to being the best 3A teams that come to the tourney, if you cant hang with SH then there is no way you will hang with the others. And if you want to talk about size of schools then go ahead, but that has nothing to do with playing a team. Should we feel sorry for unaka when they play a 3A team and spot them 15 points just because Unaka is smaller. I dont think so. Maybe the arbys officials will look into that. As for TN High, congrats, you ALMOST beat them. But you didnt.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be against droping several of the local teams in favor of more foreign or out of state teams. The later rounds in the tournament are always the most exciting. Does any one kno if Bartlett is coming back? Wouldnt hurt my feelings to watch Mario play his senior year in this. And i was also wonderin, i kno they would kill everyone, but why is oak hill never mentioned in this tournament?

Why is this info so hard to get? I have contacted all numbers listed on the websites. I finally got an answer from "Lisa". She said the pairings would be drawn on 24 November. I asked about the field, and she said it was completed and the teams committed. I asked who they were. She couldn't answer. I asked if they could be posted to a website, she didn't know. I gave her my email address, fax number, and contact number; she said they would get the field to me. This was last week. I even implied that the Air Force was looking to spend money in marketing and promotion on this event. No bites.

I have contacted the Northeast Tennessee Tourism Association (NETTA), Bristol Chamber of Commerce, Viking Hall promotions, and finally Tennessee High School athletic department. At this time I am waiting on "Coach Burns" (who seems to be the only person in the nation with this top secret list) to fax to my office. I will post when and if I get this. If there are any posters from Bristol, perhaps you could help us out. I always visit the Johnson City area over Christmas and try to make this tourney.

Personally i would love to see a smaller school like Unaka or Cloudland play in the Arbys Classic.  It would be exciting.  And i for one agree with most on here that if teams such as Sullivan East, Daniel Boone, Tennessee High, and Elizabethon can get in then why not Cloudland or Unaka.  Heck, Cloudland beat Daniel Boone last year.  And that was with out Mark Byrd, and in one of Cloudlands worse years.  The 1A teams on any given night can beat a big part of the teams in the arbys classic.

825414252[/snapback]

Don't expect an answer from Coach Burns. They dropped Unaka like a hot potato from the Arbys with the only explanation that 'they had enough teams". I feel confident that Unaka with their huge fan base would have brought in more money than half the teams they had in it. Heck if we can fill up an entire side at the state then I'm sure we could pack the arbys. Maybe Burns was afraid of the competition.

Personally, i agree that throwing some good 1A teams in would be a good change for the tourny. I mean who wants to see the same teams like daniel boone, tennessee high, Sullivan East, Elizabethon get beat year after year. Cloudland even beat Daniel Boone last year with out Mark Byrd, and Daniel Boone got to play in the Arbys. Yeah u most have to be great to play in this high skill tournament huh?? RIGHT? Changes do need to be made, and maybe one day they will.

As for Unaka people saying they will walk through the conference, they know thats not right. Ask them how easy its been to win the conference the last three years. Didnt seem to much like a cake walk to me. They havent beat Cloudland at home in any of the last three years, and in the previous two it took overtime to beat them at home. As for Hampton, personally i always hated playing at Hampton. Not that their teams are good or their crowd is anything special, theres just something about that gym that makes everyone that comes into it a worse ball player. Hampton plays hard and they do hussle, but as for overall talent, its not that good.

Teams such as Unaka and Cloudland always find a way to rebuild and replace players. Unaka lost a good class with Dugger, Collins, and Cole, and in the same year Cloudland lost the Jones brothers, Ricky Whitehead, and Caleb Denton, but even with losing all these players the two teams seem to always rebuild and just play their games. I look for Unaka as well as Cloudland to be strong again this year with Tyler McCann and others return for Unaka it should be a strong season. Also Cloudland should have no problem replacing Byrd and Cooke at Guards with the play of Cody Jones and new edition Ronnie Hendry aka Ronnie Jones. Cody and Ronnie will give Cloudland a great three point game. Possum plays hard and should be able to fill the lost of Robbie Tolley. It should be a crazy season as always. Each team will need younger teams to step up as well.

Cant wait to get football done with and start on the bball season!

Lost  Dugger , Cole , Collins , Estep , Blevins same thing was said.

825390919[/snapback]

But Dugger Cole, Collins, Estep and Blevins was replaced with Chambers, Collins and Jones. Who's stepping up and taking care of business this year? I agree with the previous post, they could have competed last year but not this year.