Bearden

bdog3741

ok, i have held off in commenting on this thread, but i can't any longer. I will be brief with my comments:

1. This years freshman qb was not even on the winning supermidget rec team. I think he played for Karns.

2. It sounds to me that the people writing on this thread don't know the freshman team very well. The starters could not be more supportive, they were at almost every varsity game, and felt the loss just like the v. players did. They even make comments like "the freshmen don't matter, no one cares about our record, we are a part of the varsity team"

3. You don't need to worry about "paying their dues"...they know that. They are a smart, supportive, and aware group of kids. Also, lets not blame the kids...did they demand the "advantages" that they got this year? NO! It was not their decision to go to camp...many did not even want to go. So lets give credit where credit is due and blame where blame is due.

4. Given the right coaching, BHS will be back in the "ballgame"

5. About the blowouts and playing time...well, you obviously weren't at the games. The third string was in by the end of the 2nd quarter in the 57-0 game. Please get your facts straight before you make accusations.

6. The last thing, we ALL need to become more unified. If parents cant do it, then how can we expect it out of the players? Maybe I wasn't so brief afterall. Sorry

825432788[/snapback]

Ill agree with you on many aspects of this team and this season.

Yes the freshman do have some potential and could impact the season next year in certian positions. Your right they did not ask for the advantages they recieved and blame should be put where it deserves to be.

However, I must strongly disagree with the coment that the 3rd string was in in the 2nd quarter in the DB game or any game for that much (i didnt miss a game). In reference to the 57-0 game our starters played every down of that game. (maybe an exception here and there but not many) I even asked coach Maynard about the reason for this (and was given an answer that DB never took out their 1st string.)

I can tell you for a fact that my son was 3rd team in his position and never steped on the field during a varsity game the entire season.

The Main Key you said on here is that as parents we need to be unified.

You made a point that with the "right coaching, BHS will be back in the balllgame" As parents we need to stand together and demand that the right coaching be put in here.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As orginator of the orginal post (which means nothing) I would like to say that the time has come to put our differenced aside, 9th 10th 11th or 12th graders and parents.

We are all on the same team. As parents, players, and fans the time has come to take a stand and demand change in this program. After receiving the letter today sent out by the principle it is obivious that she is not going to change anything with out a lot of parent recomendations. We need to let her know that even though she values Maynard as a teacher and will keep him for that reason we believe that she can find a better Drivers ed teacher and Football coach to run this program.

There is a booster club meeting thursday night at 6. we need to have as many parents players and fans there as possible. We dont need to accept that the principle will handle things we need to take a UNITED stand and convince her to do whats best for this team.

Lets put the bickering aside and unite. If we can do this in 2 or 3 years we wont care how the freshmen were or werent treated this year because we will be a team.

3741 I have been coaching for about 15 years but at the rec level with my limited knowledge,  I can see what the main problems are and I know you can too why cant anybody else?  I hear from people in the community that "says well thats bearden football " has losing become acceptable is this normal?  If it is why have a football team if players fans and parents dont want to compete?

825430177[/snapback]

Bulldog75, Ill say this as far as experience goes i have several years coaching in a 5a highschool in south georgia. (same region as Valdosta, you might have heard of them)

As far as a former coach watching what is going on out here there are Many Many things that the coaches do or dont do that contribute to our record.

As far as the community goes unless you have a vested intrest in the team its hard to get excited about a program thats struggling, therefore its easier just to say "thats bearden" Many times when you even do have a vested interest in a program and dont have any answers its easy to say "thats just bearden football" I dont think that anyone is accepting bearden losing but its just easier to say the above than it is to try to do something about it and change it.

BUT like i said in previous post, If the ones who care about this program and really want it to suceed will unite and take a stand you will be amazed what kind of changes can take place.

Word of caution however, even if we do get in a new coaching staff, dont expect to see a 10 season next year, give the new person time.

As orginator of the orginal post (which means nothing)  I would like to say that the time has come to put  our differenced aside,  9th 10th 11th or 12th graders and parents.

We are all on the same team.  As parents, players, and fans the time has come to take a stand and demand change in this program.  After receiving the letter today sent out by the principle it is obivious that she is not going to change anything with out a lot of parent recomendations.  We need to let her know that even though she values Maynard as a teacher and will keep him for that reason we believe that she can find a better Drivers ed teacher and Football coach to run this program. 

There is a booster club meeting thursday night at 6.  we need to have as many parents players and fans there as possible.  We dont need to accept that the principle will handle things we need to take a UNITED stand and convince her to do whats best for this team.

Lets put the bickering aside and unite.  If we can do this in 2 or 3 years we wont care how the freshmen were or werent treated this year because we will be a team.

825436016[/snapback]

First thing, I think the 57-0 game the one guy was talking about was the last freshman game at Sevier County, not he Varsity D-B game.

I agree with what you say about uniting (and I hope my one post earlier reflected that to some degree). I think if discipline and fairness comes to the program, most of the issues (especially about the various classes) will be put to bed.

I too got the survey and found it interesting. I even heard through the grapevine, that some of the players have already filled out surveys. Part of me is glad they are at least asking for comments, but part of me has a few concerns.

1) Why are they going to Mr Hill?

2) Who will get to see them?

3) Who determines what ones Mrs Jenkins sees?

Also, while happy to give my comments, it does concern me about the ability of the Athletic Director and Principal if they need parental comments to make determinations about the coaching staff and the program. It they are qualified for their positions, why then can’t they make the decision themselves? Do they not watch and follow the program? Have they not previously talked to students that played and then quit? Talked with outgoing seniors for their comments in previous years? Have not parents come forward before with thoughts and comments? I can understand the principle not having done some of this, but what about the Athletic Director?

Just some food for thought.

First thing, I think the 57-0 game the one guy was talking about was the last freshman game at Sevier County, not he Varsity D-B game.

I agree with what you say about uniting (and I hope my one post earlier reflected that to some degree).  I think if discipline and fairness comes to the program, most of the issues (especially about the various classes) will be put to bed.

I too got the survey and found it interesting.  I even heard through the grapevine, that some of the players have already filled out surveys.  Part of me is glad they are at least asking for comments, but part of me has a few concerns. 

1) Why are they going to Mr Hill?

2) Who will get to see them?

3) Who determines what ones Mrs Jenkins sees?

Also, while happy to give my comments, it does concern me about the ability of the Athletic Director and Principal if they need parental comments to make determinations about the coaching staff and the program.  It they are qualified for their positions, why then can’t they make the decision themselves?  Do they not watch and follow the program? Have they not previously talked to students that played and then quit? Talked with outgoing seniors for their comments in previous years?  Have not parents come forward before with thoughts and comments? I can understand the principle not having done some of this, but what about the Athletic Director? 

Just some food for thought.

825436131[/snapback]

You maybe right about the freshman game at sevier co. i forgot about that one.

As far a the survey your right if you notice the questions its a fail safe way to keep maynard. In my opinion all Jenkins is doing is finding a way to keep him, If all the surveys come back negative she can say "looks like you have some areas to improve in. work on them next year."

As far as Hill goes all he will tell ya is that Maynard is a good guy with the kids best intentions at heart. And according to him, I guess thats all that matters when it comes to coaching. Win loss record is not important.

Jenkins is in her first year and 1. dont care about football and 2. is scared to do anything about it so she will keep maynard instead of rocking the boat.

Hill and Maynard are old bud's so he sure isnt going to do anything to get rid of him.

The only way we will see change is if

1. The majority of parents go to the principle and complain and if that dont work start calling the main office downtown and complaining.

2. The booster club takes a stand. (I noticed on her survey she asked about the booster club.) If the booster club will say "no more money till something changes" you might see a difference. Things like the new tv and remote about $5000 and the little things like when the school called 2 nights before the first game and said we had to provide 30something meals to the press box, the new weight room, and several other things. If that is cut out and they have to spend their own money or do without then we might see a change. I hate to do that to the kids but at the same time Maynard and staff are more hurtfull to the kids than some money.

As far a the survey your right if you notice the questions its a fail safe way to keep maynard.  In my opinion all Jenkins is doing is finding a way to keep him, If all the surveys come back negative she can say "looks like you have some areas to improve in.  work on them next year."

As far as Hill goes all he will tell ya is that Maynard is a good guy with the kids best intentions at heart.  And according to him, I guess thats all that matters when it comes to coaching.  Win loss record is not important.

Jenkins is in her first year and 1. dont care about football and 2. is scared to do anything about it so she will keep maynard instead of rocking the boat.

Hill and Maynard are old bud's so he sure isnt going to do anything to get rid of him.

The only way we will see change is if

1.  The majority of parents go to the principle and complain and if that dont work start calling the main office downtown and complaining.

2.  The booster club takes a stand.  (I noticed on her survey she asked about the booster club.)  If the booster club will say "no more money till something changes" you might see a difference.  Things like the new tv and remote about $5000 and the little things like when the school called 2 nights before the first game and said we had to provide 30something meals to the press box, the new weight room, and several other things.  If that is cut out  and they have to spend their own money or do without then we might see a change.  I hate to do that to the kids but at the same time Maynard and staff are more hurtfull to the kids than some money.

825436464[/snapback]

That thought crossed my mind, that they would use the survey as a tool to find out the areas that need to be improved, and just keep Maynard with his assurance that he would make certain changes.

I would agree that the booster club should keep collecting money, but not spend any on the program. As best as I can tell that won't happen since I think they have already committed to (and scheduled) the speed training, and are just going to railroad it in tomorrow. Their excuse will be that they have to get it scheduled now before it is too late. And if that is the case, then does that mean Maynard lied to all of us late last spring when he said he was going to get it last summer knowing it wasn't possible to get it scheduled? I don't know if that is the case, but it sounds a little odd to me that last year we could still get it set up in late May or earlier June, yet this year, we have to commit to it in November (if we basically haven't already committed).

I dont' know what the school administration is going to do, but Mrs Jenkins said that "we run this like a business". So we will see if she truly can. Although up to this point, she has yet to instill much confidence in her ability. My most current example would be that school counselors tell students and parents to check the school web page to find out various information, yet, maybe it is just me, but I can no longer get the school webpage to come up. So, if were running this school like a business, I would say again, they are definately not support their customers. I guess maybe our children just go to a poorly managed school. One other item, Mrs Jenkins also said they evaluate it every year. So, what were the results of their evaluation last year?

In regards to taking this downtown, if that doesn't work, the next step would be going to your School board person and then to the entire board. Because if they do decide to keep him, I think we will be at least owed the reasons and reasoning used to make that decision. And also possibly to question the ability of the administration as well.

As orginator of the orginal post (which means nothing)  I would like to say that the time has come to put  our differenced aside,  9th 10th 11th or 12th graders and parents.

We are all on the same team.  As parents, players, and fans the time has come to take a stand and demand change in this program.  After receiving the letter today sent out by the principle it is obivious that she is not going to change anything with out a lot of parent recomendations.  We need to let her know that even though she values Maynard as a teacher and will keep him for that reason we believe that she can find a better Drivers ed teacher and Football coach to run this program. 

There is a booster club meeting thursday night at 6.  we need to have as many parents players and fans there as possible.  We dont need to accept that the principle will handle things we need to take a UNITED stand and convince her to do whats best for this team.

Lets put the bickering aside and unite.  If we can do this in 2 or 3 years we wont care how the freshmen were or werent treated this year because we will be a team.

825436016[/snapback]

Hey Pal Im on the same side as you I agree Maynard needs to go. I agree there needs disapline. I was this on the Bearden board after the Oak Ridge scrimmage. I never accept losing but your just kidding yourself if the community and parents fans everyone else hasn't . Just look at the situation were in, the fans of Oak Ridge wouldnt put up with this. They expect a championship every year, Bearden on the other hand expects to beat South Doyle and they blew that this year. So yes the Community has ecepted this team to be the way they are so next year well be 1-9 again when we could be 7-3 or 8-2. Believe it or not, thats what I expect.

That thought crossed my mind, that they would use the survey as a tool to find out the areas that need to be improved, and just keep Maynard with his assurance that he would make certain changes. 

I would agree that the booster club should keep collecting money, but not spend any on the program.  As best as I can tell that won't happen since I think they have already committed to (and scheduled) the speed training, and are just going to railroad it in tomorrow.  Their excuse will be that they have to get it scheduled now before it is too late.  And if that is the case, then does that mean Maynard lied to all of us late last spring when he said he was going to get it last summer knowing it wasn't possible to get it scheduled?  I don't know if that is the case, but it sounds a little odd to me that last year we could still get it set up in late May or earlier June, yet this year, we have to commit to it in November (if we basically haven't already committed). 

I dont' know what the school administration is going to do, but Mrs Jenkins said that "we run this like a business".  So we will see if she truly can.  Although up to this point, she has yet to instill much confidence in her ability.  My most current example would be that school counselors tell students and parents to check the school web page to find out various information, yet, maybe it is just me, but I can no longer get the school webpage to come up.  So, if were running this school like a business, I would say again, they are definately not support their customers.  I guess maybe our children just go to a poorly managed school.  One other item, Mrs Jenkins also said they evaluate it every year.  So, what were the results of their evaluation last year?

In regards to taking this downtown, if that doesn't work, the next step would be going to your School board person and then to the entire board.  Because if they do decide to keep him, I think we will be at least owed the reasons and reasoning used to make that decision.  And also possibly to question the ability of the administration as well.

825437649[/snapback]

As far as the booster club goes that isnt written in stone just yet. There is a meeting tonight and I will be there and trust me i will let my opinion be know about it. I just hope that Maynard is there to support his speed training idea. (I guess if we had had that speed training last year we would have won more than one game.) As far as the need for speed training from "experts" ive been around a lot of programs that didnt have it (the coaches taught speed training to the players) and those programs did just fine.

In response to the survey My personal belief is that they should be put in the trash. We as a booster club tried to give Mrs Jenkins feed back and she chose to give us a survey instead of meeting and talking. I for one dont want to fill out worthless paper and then wait 3 or 4 months for her to come up with a decesion. Resolution now one way or the other is what is needed. If she refuses to meet whit us, then the answer is like we both said skip her and go to the next level. All these things need to be adressed tonight at the booster club meeting.

Hey Pal Im on the same side as you  I agree Maynard needs to go.  I agree there needs  disapline.  I was  this on the Bearden board after the Oak Ridge scrimmage.  I never accept  losing  but your just kidding yourself  if the community and parents fans everyone else  hasn't .  Just look at the situation were in, the fans of  Oak Ridge wouldnt  put up with this.    They expect a championship every year, Bearden on the other hand expects to beat South Doyle and they blew that this year.  So yes the Community has ecepted this team to be the way they are so next year well be 1-9 again when we could  be 7-3 or 8-2.  Believe it or not, thats what I  expect.

825437762[/snapback]

To night at the booster club meeting lets adress that. If the booster club wants to go on with business as usuall lets adress that also. We are at a point where if we have to many more seasons like this you will be exactly right, especially if everyone sees noone doing anything to change what is going on here. Ill be at the meeting tonight and Im going to voice my opinion about all of this. I sure could use some support. Be there if you can.

You guys have to be the biggest group of whiners I have ever seen. It is always the coach's fault. Not the fact that the kids are less talented. How many state championships does Bearden have? How many Region/District Championships? Bearden is not a powerhouse and probably never will be.