Dekalb County Football

southernpride

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree! I play for DeKalb, and I can tell you first hand our team has a lot of potential and great atheletes but no coaching to really bring it all out. We have a couple of talented coaches sure, but without all the coaches on the same page it's not going to help us any. And until we can get it all clicking we're not going to have a winning program.

I completely agree! I play for DeKalb, and I can tell you first hand our team has a lot of potential and great atheletes but no coaching to really bring it all out. We have a couple of talented coaches sure, but without all the coaches on the same page it's not going to help us any. And until we can get it all clicking we're not going to have a winning program.

825385832[/snapback]

I have nothing against your head coach. I know him and respect him as a teacher and coach, but he is near retirement age. This is his second time around as head coach in Smithville. I know lots of coaches who are much better organized and could come in and turn this program around if and when he steps down. I'm not calling for his firing, I think that is something that will happen when he decides he’s had enough. Coach has many friends in the county and I don't think the good old boy relationship with the people downtown will force any changes. But I do think a younger coach (maybe someone in their late 30's or early 40's) who has been around the block and yet is still young enough to be excited about football could do a good job in Smithville. Little things bug the heck out of me like seeing the grass on the football field cut throughout the year. Keeping the facilities well maintained. Details and more fundamental drills in practice. A more concentrated focus on special teams and a more creative offensive scheme. As a retired coach, I know it is very easy to become complacent and just go through the motions of coaching and preparing a team. I just think we need to prepare for the day when Coach retires and not do what they've done in the past. Just go out and hire the oldest good old boy that applies. We need new ideas and a fresh start.

Well the fish are biting down on the lake so I had better go for now.

I'm not saying that we need to get rid of the head coach, I think he's a smart man and knows a lot about the game and how to play it right. I just think that we need a complete coaching staff that can put together a successful offense, defense, and special teams. I think another determining factor on our teams play is that our team isn't motivated. Game in and game out we don't play with heart or intensity. It's just like we show up for the game give an effort and win or lose we go on with our lives without care of the outcome. I think we need to work on getting our team motivated to where they want to win ballgames before we can do anything else. Because a team has to have a winning attitude before they can win. And I also think an upgrade of facilities would be a big improvement. I know we especially need work in the weights department our weight room is antique and needs to be replaced and we desperately need a strength and conditioning coach that can put together a regimented workout program. Lack of strength is also something that severely hurts our team, that's also the reason we have injuries on a regular basis. I think all in all our team and program just needs a complete makeover, but there aren't the funds to do it, nor does the town really want to because most of the people have already given up hope.

:angry: Well the coach definately has been around along time. He was there 25 yrs ago. We used to win some games back then, so I don't know what the problem is now. You guys just got to keep trying and never give up. At least you have alot of community support. Heck, with the girls soccer team, nobody came to the games, not even most parents. I felt so sorry for these girls as hard as they worked. Then when a football game is going, the whole parking lot is filled. The school don't give these girls soccer team any money. They have to beg for what they get. Really, I don't think the BB teams will do any better. They have a 2 hr tryout and them pick the team. You can't pick a winning team in 2 hrs. The coachs already know who they are going to pick, and they don't pick them because they are good. They pick them for thier last name, who thier parents are, etc. I heard it is the same way with softball and baseball. I can't speak for football, because everybody makes the team, don't they? A good coach doesn't play favorites, he plays talent. Without that, none of our schools sports teams will be any good.So, just do your best guys, seasons almost over.Then we get to watch the BB teams lose and that will be the coachs fault.

Keep you head up guys!

GO TIGERS

:angry:  Well the coach definately has been around along time. He was there 25 yrs ago. We used to win some games back then, so I don't know what the problem is now. You guys just got to keep trying and never give up. At least you have alot of community support. Heck, with the girls soccer team, nobody came to the games, not even most parents. I felt so sorry for these girls as hard as they worked. Then when a football game is going, the whole parking lot is filled. The school don't give these girls soccer team any money. They have to beg for what they get. Really, I don't think the BB teams will do any better. They have a 2 hr tryout and them pick the team. You can't pick a winning team in 2 hrs. The coachs already know who they are going to pick, and they don't pick them because they are good. They pick them for thier last name, who thier parents are, etc. I heard it is the same way with softball and baseball. I can't speak for football, because everybody makes the team, don't they? A good coach doesn't play favorites, he plays talent. Without that, none of our schools sports teams will be any good.So, just do your best guys, seasons almost over.Then we get to watch the BB teams lose and that will be the coachs fault.

Keep you head up guys!

GO TIGERS

825387240[/snapback]

There are always two schools of thought on hiring a head coach (any sport):

1. Hire someone from the outside. Someone with experience who knows how to turn a program around. They don't have any ties to the community and will not play favorites. They won't have a first or second cousin on the team or some dad telling them what to do or who should play. When it comes time to let them go, you don't have any local interests to worry about.

2. Hire someone from inside. They will know the best players and have the political connections to keep their job through the tough times as you struggle to build a team.

I think we need to look to #1. Hire someone from the outside with some experience who is willing to come to Smithville and work hard for 3-5 years to build a winning program.

I agree Completely! I used to play at a private school in GA and we had a very successful program. None of the players and coaches were related or knew each other before they came to the school. So therefore the coach played the best atheletes, and not whose daddy goes fishing with him on Sunday's. If all schools teams were like this football would be a lot better, especially in small towns in TN. Football here is just about as political as the election for sheriff.

I definately think option #1 is the choice.

Oh, I didn't know they had politics in football too. That is the major problem with our HS sports teams. So, see it is not the teams fault, it is the coachs. Why can't they see this? Don't they care if we win or not. I know for a fact, that the best players were not picked for the BB teams ? Also, if you live under the hill as we do, you don't stand a chance unless you got a big name. They even announced at homecoming and in the newspaper, a freshman who made the softball team.How would they know? Tryouts hasn't took place yet. I hate for my child or anybody elses child go through the trouble of trying out, if the team is already picked. Geez, that really gets to me. A player should have to earn thier spot, not just have it handed to them because they are so and so"s kid. I think we have figured out the problem guys. Just , what can we do about it? :D

when you talk about coaches already having thier team picked are you talking about the boys or girls coach, and if that is the case what players do you think should have or should not have made the team, i thought there where polictics in every sport but not basketball since the old coach left. underthe hill kids have been someof the best players for the boys program Dillard and randolph. Hale and robinson. So who specifically are you saying uses the good ole boysyystem to pick their team I love Dekalb co. basketball and it is bad since you really enjoy soccer to want each progaram here to lose since soceer is not as popular as the other sports but i think they are doing a good job with the soccer program. I support every sport and evey year some one gets on here and bashes the program Whataboutfutbol i hope soceer continues to grow and that those coaches that coach other sports will give everyone a fair chance

I want to add something on this. I don't know anything about DeKalb football other than my boys (Macon) roughed them up pretty good. But I will say this....the players for DeKalb that have posted questioning the coaches have shown their character (or extreme lack of). If you have a problem with a coach then you go to him. You don't get on here and talk crap about it. Teams should be treated like families and when you have a problem you handle it, you don't go talking about it to everyone and taking cheap shots at him. If you were a real man you would post your real name on here instead of hiding behind a screenname. You may not agree totally with what he is doing and that is fine, but you don't go out and bash him on a public forum like this.

when you talk about coaches already having thier team picked are you talking about the boys or girls coach, and if that is the case what players do you think should have or should not have made the team, i thought there where polictics in every sport but not basketball since the old coach left.  underthe hill kids have been someof the best players for the boys program Dillard and randolph. Hale and robinson.  So who specifically are you saying uses the good ole boysyystem to pick their team I love Dekalb co. basketball and it is bad since you really enjoy soccer to want each progaram here to lose since soceer is not as popular as the other sports but i think they are doing a good job with the soccer program.  I support every sport and evey year  some one gets on here and bashes the program Whataboutfutbol i hope soceer continues to grow and that those coaches that coach other sports will give everyone a fair chance

825387623[/snapback]

I am not dogging the other sports.I would like to see our tigers win them all, why wouldn't I? Every person that tries out for soccer makes the team, because thier are not that many tryout. The more you play the better you get and these girls all got to play and they got better. I will say that the soccer coach is a good fair, man. I am diappointed that nobody supports soccer. I don't like it as much as other sports either, but I am getting there. I don't want to mention these coachs or players names on here. Don't you think it would take more than a 2 hr tryout to pick a team? I do. As for under the hill kids, the popular ones do make it. The ones who get thier picture in the paper constantly, when they played at West school. You go to the games and see who made it this year. I think thier were 2 boys and 0 girls made the team. I just believe,from coaching rec. softball, a coach cannot play favorites and have a winning team. Every player needs to have to earn thier spot, even if it is the coachs kid. :(

I want to add something on this. I don't know anything about DeKalb football other than my boys (Macon) roughed them up pretty good. But I will say this....the players for DeKalb that have posted questioning the coaches have shown their character (or extreme lack of). If you have a problem with a coach then you go to him. You don't get on here and talk crap about it. Teams should be treated like families and when you have a problem you handle it, you don't go talking about it to everyone and taking cheap shots at him. If you were a real man you would post your real name on here instead of hiding behind a screenname. You may not agree totally with what he is doing and that is fine, but you don't go out and bash him on a public forum like this.

825387700[/snapback]

:D I don't think they are bashing thier coach. They are just trying to figure out what can make the team better. Why don't you post your real name on here? Well, you are from Macon Co (bragging) :D