Powell vs. Cleveland

clevelandblueraiderfan

Well I still haven't heard whether cleveland is more of a running or passing team, but if they are quick and have a quarterback that can get the ball to their recievers, they are going to be able to open up their running game.

It's no secret that Powell's secondary is not the best. They have some hard hitters in Courtney, Widener, and Williams, but they are all fairly short and lack sufficient speed. Powell could stop the wing t and the run no problem. The only factor is if they can get the passing game and play action going to open up the run.

Powell neads to go west coast style and get the ball to Lee. Hopefully Cleveland won't play the D the way Central did against Lee or it will be tuff to get him the ball. I don't know if we are going to see any of the 4 wide set that was premiered at Central but Powell will have to get the ground game going, either by Cody, or Huff.

The speed scares me but I can't pick against the panters.

The sophmore Hansen shows up and kicks a couple clutch kicks, Powell wins 27-21

Is anyone going from the game from Powell, what time are you heading down there?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wing T is a good approach against what Powell will bring on D. Powell is really great on 1st string, but the fall off is pretty steep after that it seems. PHS5, correct me please if I'm wrong.

So, anything that's gonna wear at Powell's 1st team will be key in the latter qtrs. If you can get a runining game started, use the underneath passing game and short routes, get your O line running downhill on Powell's D line, you will have a good chance.

I like both these teams. I can only speak to what I've seen and haven't seen Cleveland play this year. If their like teams in years past, they have the tools to beat Powell late in the game.

Powell's key is what I've been saying all along for them. They have to win the toss, drive drive drive and score. They need to put up 21 in the first half, unanswered.

boats, I don't know why you felt the need to post Kenny's neighborhood etc. Kenny might not want the whole world knowing where he lives. A general answer might have been better (ie he lives around Emory Rd exit).

Lee is your all's biggest weapon. PalPanther, explain to me why ya'll don't throw more to him? In the Maryville game, you were making great downfield progress throwing to him. Then, they just stopped throwing to him.

Edited by dmoyers1

Boats, if that was man then you can color me confused, because in the film there were routinely 3 Central players around Lee at about 7 yards.....that's interesting man-to-man.

825415938[/snapback]

[/quote

yes central played man. robert was the only person who garded lee all night watch the film again.

i didnt say n e thing about cody neighbor hood.

Boats, if that was man then you can color me confused, because in the film there were routinely 3 Central players around Lee at about 7 yards.....that's interesting man-to-man.

825415938[/snapback]

[/quote

yes central played man. robert was the only person who garded lee all night watch the film again.

i didnt say n e thing about cody neighbor hood.

825416068[/snapback]

My bad, I meant Kenny Cruze....you know what I meant.

Lee is your all's biggest weapon.  PalPanther, explain to me why ya'll don't throw more to him?  In the Maryville game, you were making great downfield progress throwing to him.  Then, they just stopped throwing to him.

825415944[/snapback]

The reason why Powell didn't throw to him that much in the Central game is because they played zone on him. That is where Cody's first interception came from. Central's middle lineback dropped back into coverage, and just grabed the ball intended for Lee on his post route.

After that Coach Stephens knew he couldn't just call a two step drop back quick-pass to lee across the middle because the middle linebacker was there.

Edited by Facedown

why did n't they try the draw to stink the LB's in?

825416195[/snapback]

Well for the first two series Powell went with a four wide shotgun set and did about 4 qb draws with cody. I guess Central just felt comfortable with their man on man coverage on the outside so that they could bring up the safeties making the zone line backer coverage a little more comfortable.