Jefferson County Patriots

jcpatriotfan

I can't believe that this years team did not make the playoffs. Coaching decisions did affect the outcome of this season, like the coach or not. I like Coach U, I like his stance and discipline, but he did make a lot of wrong decisions this year. As anyone will make a wrong decision. What I don't like is how our seniors hearts were broken. They played their hearts out most of the time, and deserved to be in the playoffs, and this team should have been 9-1, 8-2 at the worst. Oakland, you stand by Coach U, not matter what, I admire your loyalty, but you don't know these boys and the talent and drive they had. These guys all the way up form LL ball, have been winners, the two middle schools that made up the majority of this team went undefeated only losing to each other, in this area we have a multi-county grasscutter/peewee program, and the same group of boys won their years, and I know that LL, and middle is different, but these boys were winners. They needed the direction. I believe that Coach U is a good coach, but I also believe that Coach U came into this year, not looking at winning this year, but looking at building on later years, that is why they ran with a unexperienced O-line which cost us many times, even with all of Shivy's yards. When it came down to time that we needed some beef to block and open up, they were not allowed to play both ways, these boys were the defensive line, which was so tough, shutting most down, but coming into this year we had a offensive line returning from last year that was the talk of the region, and they were broken up. I also don't like that Coach U is not a man of his word, many of these boys can play the next level, i am not saying they are D-1, but many could play D1AA, and D2. And that is what these boys want, to go to school, get their education, these seniors are a smart group of kids, most of them anyway, Luther and Green, are tops in their class. Coach U has not helped them at all, even after saying that he would.

There are many arm-chair, or should I say bleacher seat coaches, and I am one of them. Granted, U only had one week of spring practice, but he did not take any ones thoughts, suggestions that were trying to help him learn these boys. These boys could have done much more, if given the chance, given the respect, given the support. Some of the boys that he has had trouble with are that, they have always had some trouble, but that is expected, and those boys need to be worked with, not my way or the highway all the time. These are boys sometimes that needs the extra direction, that may not have always had the support. Then there are some top notch kids on this team that do what they have to do.

My hats off to this group of seniors. They are a phenominal group of kids, and I hate to see them done. My heart is broken for them, that their season is through. They deserve to be playing next week. I hope that things turn around for the program. Daniel, Zack, Billy, Shane, Kevin, Jason, Justin, Scott, John, Ben and any others I may have forgotten, I have enjoyed watching you guys play, grow up, and become fine young men. Try and get to the next level, if Coach U is not going to help, I know that Coach Whitehead will. Coach Brimer and Coach Kisabeth may do some things to help you. But walk with your heads up, be proud of what you have done, and always remember your teamates, and know that you have one true fan here.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

I am sure that your seniors are no more heart -broken than ours are. At least you go out with a winning season. While it is sad to not go to the play-offs ( our first time NOT to go in many years!), you have to look on the bright side of this season, not continually focus on the negative. No ONE person should be blamed. It sickens me to hear you say that. That is the problem with your school. You can't ,and won't say it is a TEAM loss. Until you can decide that the kids have to do their part too...............this will never be a team. And only a TEAM can take the gold ball.

I am sure that your seniors are no more heart -broken than ours are. At least you go out with a winning season. While it is sad to not go to the play-offs ( our first time NOT to go in many years!), you have to look on the bright side of this season, not continually focus on the negative. No ONE person should be blamed. It sickens me to hear you say that. That is the problem with your school. You can't ,and won't say it is a TEAM loss. Until you can decide that the kids have to do their part too...............this will never be a team. And only a TEAM can take the gold ball.

825409031[/snapback]

region4fan and Oakland, I don`t know how things are at Oakland but going 6-4 and not making the playoffs is NOT exceptable at Jefferson Co. Like I said in another post, Jefferson Co has failed to make playoffs only 4 times since 1982. With the talent this team had they should have gone to the playoffs. Unlike some of the other Jeff Co fans I don`t blame coach U for every loss we suffered, thats just stupid. The only loss that I put on his shoulders is the loss to Karns, the game shouldn`t have come done to wire like that anyway. I don`t understand why people blame coach U for us having bad snaps against Rhea Co, or not being able to tackle. Coach U didn`t throw the pick that led to DB's TD, and he didn`t fumble the ball that led to DB's 2nd TD. Since you guys are so quick to get on coaches why aren`t you getting on coach Smoot, every game we have loss(execpt DB) the defense hasn`t played well. I don`t hear anyone talking about the fact that Karns beat us up front, and we could tackle Elder to save our life, which lead to our loss to begin with. No one is talking about the fact the Sevier Co manhandled us the whole game on offense, Pate ran like a wildman but I don`t hear anyone getting on Smoot or the rest of the defensive coaches. None of our losses can be put on ONE person. Why are you people so quick to blame coach U for losses but won`t give him credit for the wins. Coach U is not perfect, he's human like everyone else. There will be some changes that need to be made before next, I think this coach staft(AS A WHOLE) needs to look at the way they have treated the players this season, and look at the results. Not going to the playoffs in back to back years is going to put a TON of pressure on coach U for the 2006 season.

Guest Oakland
region4fan and Oakland, I don`t know how things are at Oakland but going 6-4 and not making the playoffs is NOT exceptable at Jefferson Co. Like I said in another post, Jefferson Co has failed to make playoffs only 4 times since 1982. With the talent this team had they should have gone to the playoffs. Unlike some of the other Jeff Co fans I don`t blame coach U for every loss we suffered, thats just stupid. The only loss that I put on his shoulders is the loss to Karns, the game shouldn`t have come done to wire like that anyway. I don`t understand why people blame coach U for us having bad snaps against Rhea Co, or not being able to tackle. Coach U didn`t throw the pick that led to DB's TD, and he didn`t fumble the ball that led to DB's 2nd TD. Since you guys are so quick to get on coaches why aren`t you getting on coach Smoot, every game we have loss(execpt DB) the defense hasn`t played well. I don`t hear anyone talking about the fact that Karns beat us up front, and we could tackle Elder to save our life, which lead to our loss to begin with. No one is talking about the fact the Sevier Co manhandled us the whole game on offense, Pate ran like a wildman but I don`t hear anyone getting on Smoot or the rest of the defensive coaches. None of our losses can be put on ONE person. Why are you people so quick to blame coach U for losses but won`t give him credit for the wins. Coach U is not perfect, he's human like everyone else. There will be some changes that need to be made before next, I think this coach staft(AS A WHOLE) needs to look at the way they have treated the players this season, and look at the results. Not going to the playoffs in back to back years is going to put a TON of pressure on coach U for the 2006 season.

825409190[/snapback]

funny your already giving up on jeff county on the 05 season. talked to a few people in east tennessee that think jeff county will be pretty good next year. nobody wants to lose and especially miss the playoffs, probably nobody more so than marty, but there are seasons where it just doesnt go your way, you cant make the playoffs ever year, we are in the same position you guys are, but you guys had a much better season than we did(2-8) i know folks from jeff county hate to lose, but who doesnt? give marty the time he needs to develop his system and you guys will wonder why you doubted so much about coach U

Oakland[/url'>' date='Oct 31 2004 - 03:52 PM']funny your already giving up on jeff county on the 05 season. talked to a few people in east tennessee that think jeff county will be pretty good next year. nobody wants to lose and especially miss the playoffs, probably nobody more so than marty, but there are seasons where it just doesnt go your way, you cant make the playoffs ever year, we are in the same position you guys are, but you guys had a much better season than we did(2-8) i know folks from jeff county hate to lose, but who doesnt? give marty the time he needs to develop his system and you guys will wonder why you doubted so much about coach U

825409432[/snapback]

Oakland, I believe we could have a good year next year as well. JC4Life has no respect for a group of kids whose middle school teams won two different conferences. I have posted before about the talent in this group. I think switching Crouch to QB (what he used to play until Meadows got a hold of him) with Trey (FB) and Shivy (TB) in the backfield will give the Pats a scary running game. We will be weaker in the defensive line and there will be holes to fill--but good coaches find ways to fill them. The problem is that it is rumored that a number of players may not play football next year or they'll transfer--and that's the problem I have with Coach U. I've had tough disciplinarian coaches but I always knew they respected me and they always gave me hope by helping me to see my potential. That has not always happened this year. We lost a few players during the year and some just saw this year through out of respect for the outgoing seniors. I think Coach needs to start today with winning some of these kids back into the fold. If not, I agree with JC4Life, it'll be a long year next year.

I would just like to bring out the fact of the when the season started (not games but practices) there were 70 odd players playing. By the 2nd to 3rd game they ended up with just 47 players if that. I know for a fact most the boys that quit had some good talent. Those kids didn't play together as wanting to go all the way. You could tell many of them did not care. So someone tell me how do you explain that? Don't bring up the fact they may have been lazy. Every kid is lazy. Those boys worked just as hard with Meadows as they did with coach U. What do you think JC4life?

It has nothing to do with me not having respect for the kids we will have next year. We simply will be very young next year and we don`t have ENOUGH talent. We have 16 seniors this year, 15 of the 16 start and all of them play. We will only have 3 players returning on defense which was the strong point of our team, we will have more sophmores starting next year than anyone else(which will help us the next year) Our o-line is not very good to begin with, and the best player was a senior. We lose out starting QB, and even though there are people who didn`t like Ben as our QB, YOU WILL MISS HIM NEXT YEAR. We don`t have a QB ready to step in, and will have another QB controversy come next year. Our best WR is a senior and the other starter we have coming back drops everything but bombs, and screens. We will simply be too young and to inexperienced. It doesn`t matter if Bob Stoops was walking the sideline at Jeff Co, you have to have the talent to win. I hope I`m proved wrong, but its not looking good. We will be loaded and ready to go in 2006 :angry:

Why are you so dead set on failing in 05?! It's true we are loosing good players on the D side of the ball some very hard to replace but it's not like it can't be done. Answer this honestly, who would have thought Shiverdecker would have the type of year he had coming in as a Sophmore??? Who is to say that anyone coming in this year regardless of classification can't have a breakout year.

While we loose Kline, Tolson, Pewitt, Bingham and Acuff on Offense I think we will be just as good if not better. Replacing Bingham and Acuff while both good players will not be hard to replace because we didn't pass. People say Kline was the best Lineman and he may have been but as a center how many plays are designed to run off his butt? Pewitt while not outstanding was a decent QB and I would hope the coaches develope a underclassman for QB that can help multiple yaers vs. just 1.

Defense will take some developement but I would not rule out a good unit. Alot can happen between Nov.04 and Aug.05. Many of the past post say kids are going to transfer or quit. I don't think there will be a single kid that will transfer. To do so would require physically moving and I don't think a parent is going to do that just for football. I realize Carson did and we all know how that benefited him. Some may quit and if they do then their heart was not it anyway. Next years players should come in knowing that there are several positions up for grabs and the off season is their best shot of preparing for it. Coaching was blamed for every kid that quit, I think it was more the kids than the Coaches.

Why are you so dead set on failing in 05?! It's true we are loosing good players on the D side of the ball some very hard to replace but it's not like it can't be done. Answer this honestly, who would have thought Shiverdecker would have the type of year he had coming in as a Sophmore??? Who is to say that anyone coming in this year regardless of classification can't have a breakout year.

While we loose Kline, Tolson, Pewitt, Bingham and Acuff on Offense I think we will be just as good if not better. Replacing Bingham and Acuff while both good players will not be hard to replace because we didn't pass. People say Kline was the best Lineman and he may have been but as a center how many plays are designed to run off his butt? Pewitt while not outstanding was a decent QB and I would hope the coaches develope a underclassman for QB that can help multiple yaers vs. just 1.

Defense will take some developement but I would not rule out a good unit. Alot can happen between Nov.04 and Aug.05. Many of the past post say kids are going to transfer or quit. I don't think there will be a single kid that will transfer. To do so would require physically moving and I don't think a parent is going to do that just for football. I realize Carson did and we all know how that benefited him. Some may quit and if they do then their heart was not it anyway. Next years players should come in knowing that there are several positions up for grabs and the off season is their best shot of preparing for it. Coaching was blamed for every kid that quit, I think it was more the kids than the Coaches.

825410524[/snapback]

I definately agree that some of the problem with quitting lies on the kids that quit. But for such a large number to quit, you can't place all the blame on kids that didnt have their heart in it. I know that some of those kids had never quit anything in their lifes til this year's football season came around. Players should realize it takes a lot of dedication and effort to play, and the coaches need to realize that he has to coach individual kids differently, not every player on the sidelines react the same way to a certain style of coaching. I have no problem with Coach U's discipline, but you've got to take interest in each of the kids and figure out what makes him tick. One guy may react great when you get up in his face and scream at him in the middle of practice. However, the next kid may hate that, but may thrive when a coach takes him aside and tells him the coaches are behind him, to just go out and perform.

region4fan and Oakland, I don`t know how things are at Oakland but going 6-4 and not making the playoffs is NOT exceptable at Jefferson Co.  Since you guys are so quick to get on coaches why aren`t you getting on coach Smoot, every game we have loss(execpt DB) the defense hasn`t played well. 

825409190[/snapback]

SMOOT FOR PRESIDENT! I said it first, SC beat us on the field. We had a hard time on defense at Karns, but had the opportunity to win. U blew it! We won the game at DB except for our offensive genius's game plan, the worst game plan of the year. Smoot had them in the game all year other than SC & Karns. How can we do anything but sing the praises of Smoot? How many TD did the defense give up all year if you take out SC & Karns? I have seen all the defenses over the last 30 years, this defense ranks in the top 5.

SMOOT FOR PRESIDENT! I said it first, SC beat us on the field. We had a hard time on defense at Karns, but had the opportunity to win. U blew it! We won the game at DB except for our offensive genius's game plan, the worst game plan of the year. Smoot had them in the game all year other than SC & Karns. How can we do anything but sing the praises of Smoot? How many TD did the defense give up all year if you take out SC & Karns? I have seen all the defenses over the last 30 years, this defense ranks in the top 5.

825411146[/snapback]

The Karns game still makes me nauseous. I understand that we shouldnt have even been in a close game with them, but if we kick the field goal and ride shiverdecker to the win, we're playing this Friday. Instead, a 4-6 Karns team takes our place.

By the way, is Shiverdecker playing basketball for JC this year?