Time to start making noise about title ix

maj

Title ix is the problem. I guess we can get caught up in the semantics of interpretation but the fact is title ix has KILLED hundreds of successful wrestling programs around the country. Swimming and gymnastics are close behind. I have daughters too and I like them to have opportunity but there is no excuse to kill men's programs when woman have the opportunity and choose not to participate. There are tons of slots going unfilled on the women's teams and to fall in line with the proportionality provision, men's programs are cut. The entire male to female ratio of students trying to match the ratio of male to female athletes is grossly unfair. It is well known many women's interest in sports ends in high school. Seems ridiculess to punish the mens programs but this is what happens.

With the stroke of a pen this problem could easily and forever go away. The solution would satisfy all but the most militant feminsts who hate all men's sports and wrestling in particular anyway so there is no sense in trying to appease them.

( maybe they can occupy their time campaigning for Hillary and leave us alone )

Here it is : SIMPLY EXEMPT FOOTBALL FROM THE RATIOS. That's it. There is no female equivilant that draws the same number of competitors as football. In many schools football funds most of the other programs anyway. The title ix has forced schools to choose between keeping a football team or getting rid of 5 or 6 smaller mens sports. If you think most schools keep football , take a seat at the front of the class. Without the huge football numbers loading up the men's side of the ratio most colleges could easily attract female athletes on a one to one ratio with the men.

Figure out who your congressional representitive is and start writing. Let him know wrestlng parents vote and are getting fed up.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.  Women's sports being forced on the university, is exactly why wrestling and other sports or being dropped.  It is a direct result of having to make things even.  You either add or subject a sport to even up the difference.  Women are killing wrestling.

825420297[/snapback]

Women are not killing wrestling. Wrestling is a sport for both genders. I realize that trying to make sports, for each, even in schools poses a problem, but do not blame the fall of wrestling on the females. They are entitled to this sport, just how males are to volleyball, soccer, cheerleading, and football- these sports are not always found in school systems for the males and females either. Don't pick and choose, and then blame.

Thank you Laner22. I thought I was the only one on here.

If BYU-Idaho wanted to keep football, they would still have it. You're accepting an EXCUSE: "We had to drop football because of Title 9!" If BYU wants wrestling, or any other sport, they will fund it - and students will come. BYU-Idaho currently has sports for men and women, but they don't have field hockey. lacrosse, wrestling, or football. Good fir them.

College administrators are using Title 9 as a reason to cut budgets as money gets tight. Again, why should the student body of any university be taxed to pay for a program that can't sustain itself financially?

TV has killed college football at all but the football factories. Go to an average local college game and check out the crowd. You get more people at a local farm auction than at a UT-Martin vs Austin Peay football game. Why? People are at home watching UT, Alabama, Memphis, Notre Dame, Florida, etc. Universities keep pumping money into athletic programs that can't support themselves until the majority tires of it and refuse to pony up the funds.

It just happened to wrestling, gymnsastics, diving, swimming, etc first. MTSU is swimming upstream and the financial officers or taxpayers will eventually wise up or tire of spending money on a losing proposition. Not UT, but MTSU.

Last point and then I'll get off here. Women's sports currently fail at the professional level. Look at women's pro basketball and soccer. Both are failing financially - because they don't have a fan base yet. They will continually lose money until:

a. they build a large enough fan base, or

b. the government subsidiizes women's professional sports

Women's sports (except for maybe UT-women's basketball which has a fan base) don't support themselves now.

Again, colleges are dropping athletic teams because they cost too much! Title 9 is only an excuse to blame the government - not the people who make the decisions. Maybe we should consider cutting all athletic programs which can't pay their own way!

Women are not killing wrestling. Wrestling is a sport for both genders. I realize that trying to make sports, for each, even in schools poses a problem, but do not blame the fall of wrestling on the females. They are entitled to this sport, just how males are to volleyball, soccer, cheerleading, and football- these sports are not always found in school systems for the males and females either. Don't pick and choose, and then blame.

825421298[/snapback]

Again, I disagree with your position.

wrestling is not for women. This is first a boys sport, then a man's sport. Political Correctness has made this a girls sport as well.

I am not picking and choosing and laying blame. Title IX was not put in place with the goal of elimanating men's sports in colleges, but that does not matter, it still had that effect. In order to become compliant, the result was elimination of sports. Wrestling became one of the targeted mens sports.

Now, women are killing wrestling. It may not be their intent, but it does not change the bottom line.

College administrators are using Title 9 as a reason to cut budgets as money gets tight.  Again, why should the student body of any university be taxed to pay for a program that can't sustain itself financially?

825421345[/snapback]

Good point. Like you said, maybe women's basketball, at UT can support itself, but beyond that exception, women's sports do not support themselves, just like wrestling.

Here is a chics opinion who's alma mater recently phased out football...in this situation, at ETSU, it had nothing to do with T-9. NOBODY came to the football games. The college was spending too much to keep it afloat. I miss it, I went to the games, but they had to do something. I wish they had turned it into a non-scholarship so we could still have the sport, but they just chose to dump it.

What would be fair to everybody, men and women, would be for each sport to be self-supporting. Give X amount of dollars to each, no matter how large or small the sport, and let them figure out to come up with the rest.

On the collegate level, sports is an extra. In our great state alone, tuition at state colleges have went up how much over the past 10 years? A huge amount. I don't think it is right to dump a mens program just to fund a women program, but at the same time, it is extrememly unfair for men programs to get the bulk of the funding. I would hate to be an AD in this day and age. But for someone to say that women dont deserve the opportunity to compete at the collegiate level is flat out sexist.

Athletics is a means of opportunity for kids who would never get into college without a scholarship. I agree that wrestling is a great sport and should not have to be sacrificed. But whoever said that cheerleading and dance should be a scholarship sponsored sport is crazy. I was a REAL athlete, basketball and I participated in field events. I just dont respect those, uhum, groups in the same way as I did my fellow lady athletes. But I also wouldn't attempt to play football of wrestle. I am too femine for that. But hey, if a chic can roll with the boys and hang, by God let her. It's her body she is banging up.

It is hard to be fair to eveybody, but you guys need to see what T-9 was really for. When you have daughters yourselves one day, you will understand. But I will admit that some women take advantage of the law, which makes those of us who are just appreciative to have the opportunity to play look bad. And I agree that administrators use the law as an excuse to dump programs.

I agree with cw 160, but I am one of those few who do watch WNBA. (Hey boys, they flat out play better defense then NBA does.) If a program, collegiate or pro, cannot support itself, it is time to move on to something that does. Period.