Best football story you've ever heard...

tnradioguy

I just heard a couple of stories yesterday that I had to repeat.

The first occurs in a game in the 50's or 60's, I forget, whereby the visiting team was penalized for holding. The referee began to mark off the 10 yards when the visiting team's coach started letting him have it from the sideline. The referee stopped, put the ball down, called an unsportsmanlike penalty on the coach and marched off another 15 yards. Well, the coach decides that he'll follow the referee as he marches off this latest penalty to the point that he walks onto the field and almost right up to the guy. Pretty soon everyone seems to notice that the ref has the ball in his hands and it looks like he's just going to keep on walking right off of the field. The coach finally figures out that he's walked more than 15 yards and asks the ref, "Hey, when are you going to stop walking."

The ref replied, "As soon as you stop talking." Apparently he walked off 45 yards against the coach.

The other happened in the 1950's in a scoreless game where the visiting team had the ball late in the game (and in the day) and had driven down the field to inside the home team's 10 yard line. On the next play, the visiting team's running back slammed through the line and down to the one foot line. With no scoreboard or visible timepiece, the referee marked the ball at the one, then picked it up and called the game due to darkness. It ended in a 0-0 tie.

So, what's the best high school football story youv'e ever heard, or seen, or participated in?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another one from a radio announcer. He was calling a kickoff when the return man was hit and sent up into the air before landing on his side. The call went something like this....

"(he) makes the catch at the five, comes ahead to the ten, to the 15, cuts to his right at the 20, 25, 30, and is knocked up at the 35 yard line."

The color commentator forced the rado crew to take a commercial break because he was laughing so hard.

Any other strange radio calls out there?

Thi is kind of gross and the man that told me said he wouldn't hev believed it was true if he didn't see it with his own eyes. He said there was one game where he saw a guy get hit so hard that his skeleton shifted inside of his skin and his body looked crooked. TRUE STORY! As horrible as that sounds I would have loved to seen that hit.

This isn't about a game but a scrimmage. In 2000, Blackman had a practice day at Franklin County. It had been raining all day. We were practicing beside a road. One of the Blackman players was running, lost contral, and rolled into the ditch beside the road that was filled with about two feet of water. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen; he was completely drenched when he got up.

The story about the Taft player reminded me of one that happened when LA was playing Cookeville in the late 70's. The TB from Livingston broke loose on what would have been about an 80 yard TD scamper with only seconds left before the half. As he approached midfield the horn sounded to end the first half and he politely put the ball down and ran on into the dressing room.

I've heard a variation on the coach and the official. The coach was a prominent head coach in West Tenn. in the 1970s and got so mad at an official that he just let the poor zebra have it. After walking off about three unsportsmanlike penalties, the ref turns to the coach as said, "I can walk as long as you can talk." The coach then shut up.

As far as announcers, in this NW corner of our great state, a TV guy regularly has players crossing the 50, the 55 and the 60 before finally catching himself. He also calls some penalties as "technical fouls."