Smyrna vs. Riverdale

bulldog12

Guest region4fan

I missed part of what happened as I was going back and forth b/t this one and Lebanon's. Apparently Orona roughed the kicker and the sidelines were emptying onto the field. it got stopped before it got going though. good job by coaches and rounding them up.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

the radio only said Orona. They said that Shadowens pulled someone else out, but that they weren't ejected. Like I said, I was switching back and forth b/t that game and Lebanon's so i missed some of the drama.

Here is what happened with the ejection. Early in the fourth quarter with Riverdale up 21-0 and inside the Smyrna 30 close to scoring, two plays actually contributed to it. Thomas handed off to Miller for a mimimal gain on the play but a Smyrna linebacker took a cheap shot on Thomas well after the ball was handed off which actually injured Dave and knocked him out of the game for the play. After the back up QB played a play, Dave came back and again handed off to Miller. Well after the play was over, another Smyrna linebacker, I believe number 49 kept hitting Thomas in the head while he was on his knees at least 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Thomas began trying to defend himself, and a host of Riverdale players came to his aid, which eventuall led to some trash talking, pushing, and before you knew it, Coach Rankin was in the middle of it trying to push any Riverdale player he saw in the mix back to the sidelines. I was fortunate enough to be on the side of the field where it took place. One Smyrna player actually took a swipe or punch at a Riverdale player that Rankin was trying to push to the side. It almost appeared the punch caught Rankin, but I believe it just missed him. The QB Orona was in the middle of all this action and was actually the one who almost caught Rankin with the swipe. Orona was then ejected and Riverdale went on to score three plays later. I am not trying to make any one from Smyrna mad at all. Smyrna played a great first half and appeared to have a great chance to make this a great finish. But when Riverdale got up 21 to nothing, it was clear the Smyrna team lost their cool, and maybe some of the team felt if they could not win the Championship, they did not want Riverdale too. In all my years of watching football never have I see two absolutely ridiculous late hits on the QB 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage on a straight hand off to the tailback. I understand Smyrna was upset they were going to lose, but this behavior should not be accepted. It ruined what was a very good well played football game to that point. I look forward to reading the paper tomorrow to see what Rankin says cause he was right in the middle of it.

Lets just say after the events that took place in this game late in the fourth quarter with the attempt to take Dave Thomas out, Smyrna vs Riverdale is probably going to take over for the next few years as the biggest rivalry in the county. I understand there are probably many fans out there who want Riverdale to lose or are tired of them winning, and I understand that, I am that way in many other sports and get tired of certain teams winning. To call the two hits on Thomas as late hits which I said in the last post does not give the play the justice it deserves. They were more like tackles of Dave with repeat shots to his head and trying to hurt other parts of his body by any means necessary. The first thought that came to my head was of Florida Florida State when Darnell Dockett pulled someone's knee out of place or something to that extent. Smyrna's coaching staff did a great job of coaching this year. They should be commended on a good year, but they lost control of their team. Dave could have seriously been hurt on either of those plays, and their is no place for that in high school football.