Top 5 In TN history

mas1821

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best High School players, not based on NBA status.

1. Penny Hardaway-revolutionized the big point guard

2. Jimmy "Snap" Hunter- Scoring machine

3. Trenton Hassell- most complete player in TN

3. Ron Mercer- Top athlete, compared to Jordan, early in career.

4. Tony Harris- most explosive guard to ever play in TN

5. Corrie Johnson- avg 38 ppg sr yr

5. Cannon Whitby-avg 40 before the 3 point line

Honorable mention- Trey Pearson, Vince Yarbrough, Delk Twins, Marcus Hicks, Walker (Mc Nairy) Stanley Caldwell, Steve Hamer, Shawn Marion, Robert O'Kelly, Ryan Stack, Sam Howard,

Jamont Gordon is one of the most talented players thats come through TN. His skills have not been honed completely, but talent for talent not a lot of people compare to him.

Edited by youngbballfan

Inquiring as to the best 5 TN high school balla's you've ever seen....    This is mostly for gomab...  But, anyone can state their opinion....

825428119[/snapback]

I forgot to add mine.... lol..

1. Anfernee Hardaway

2. Ron Mercer

3. Rhodes (linden)

4. Kirk Haston

5. Cedrick Wallace

This is excluding the recent graduates and the ones still in school... Although feel free to list these in you guys lists...

I forgot to add mine....  lol..

1. Anfernee Hardaway

2. Ron Mercer

3. Rhodes (linden)

4. Kirk Haston

5. Cedrick Wallace

This is excluding the recent graduates and the ones still in school...  Although feel free to list these in you guys lists...

825428160[/snapback]

The Rhodes tradition goes way back in Linden!!!!

What about...

Todd Day

David Vaughn

Niki Arinze

Terrence Woods (doesnt he play for Florida A & M)

Sam Howard

Best High School players, not based on NBA status.

1. Penny Hardaway-revolutionized the big point guard

2. Jimmy "Snap" Hunter- Scoring machine

3. Trenton Hassell- most complete player in TN

3. Ron Mercer- Top athlete, compared to Jordan, early in career.

4. Tony Harris- most explosive guard to ever play in TN

5. Corrie Johnson- avg 38 ppg sr yr

5. Cannon Whitby-avg 40 before the 3 point line

Honorable mention- Trey Pearson, Vince Yarbrough, Delk Twins, Marcus Hicks, Walker (Mc Nairy) Stanley Caldwell, Steve Hamer, Shawn Marion, Robert O'Kelly, Ryan Stack, Sam Howard,

Jamont Gordon is one of the most talented players thats come through TN. His skills have not been honed completely, but talent for talent not a lot of people compare to him.

825428139[/snapback]

I agree with this post. I had the pleasure of playing high school basketball with Trenton Hassell and still very good friends with him so I may be biased but I think he is the most complete player the state has seen in a while on the high school level. Penny Hardaway was very talented and poised to be that big. Jamont Gordon may be the rawest most purest talented athlete the state has, Sam Howard was one of the best shooters, along with Kirk Haston, Vince Yarbrough, one that no one mention is Whites Creeks David Vaugh..He had an unbelivable career for them, another player from Whites Creek is James Stewart. Shawn Marion was one of the most athletic.

The Rhodes tradition goes way back in Linden!!!!

What about...

Todd Day

David Vaughn

Niki Arinze

Terrence Woods (doesnt he play for Florida A & M)

Sam Howard

825428177[/snapback]

1. "White Lightning" Larry Keltner-averaged 32 ppg for Haylong High School in 1966 before the three point line. Turned down numerous basketball scholarships to join Uncle Sam's team fighting the communists in Southeast Asia.

2. Corey Johnson-1993 AAA Mr. Basketball-Hardin County

3. Kirk Haston-Perry Co

4. Marcus Haislip-Marshall Co.

5. Josh"Buster"Keltner-son of Larry Legend and the only player in TN basketball history to hold two future NBA players (Haston and Haislip) to under 10 points every time they played.

1.  "White Lightning" Larry Keltner-averaged 32 ppg for Haylong High School in 1966 before the three point line.  Turned down numerous basketball scholarships to join Uncle Sam's team fighting the communists in Southeast Asia.

2.  Corey Johnson-1993 AAA Mr. Basketball-Hardin County

3. Kirk Haston-Perry Co

4. Marcus Haislip-Marshall Co.

5. Josh"Buster"Keltner-son of Larry Legend and the only player in TN basketball history to hold two future NBA players (Haston and Haislip) to under 10 points every time they played.

825428212[/snapback]

Someone please tell me that Josh "Buster" Keltner is not from Lewis County, Hohenwald. I really hope this isn't the same guy, because last time I saw him he was rolling in buggies at the Wal-Mart in Hohenwald. Please clear this one up ASAP

Wow! A very interesting topic. Hard to pick just five. How about this...

My "old school" five (before c. 1980):

1. Albert Ellison (led Linden to 3 state championships before classification)

2. Bailey Howell (Middleton legend, played for Mississippi State and the great Boston Celtic teams)

3. Perry Wallace (Pearl state champ, broke color barrier in SEC for Vandy, great player)

4. John Gunn (Melrose state champ, Memphis State, stricken with fatal cancer much too young)

5. Mike Rhodes (led Perry County to back-to-back state titles, Vandy 1,000 point scorer, greatest individual performance in TSSAA history versus Knox Catholic in 1977)

Old School honorable mentions: Larry Spicer, Memphis North/Baylor; Lee Fowler, Columbia Central/Vandy; Johnny Darden, Springfield/UT; Elston Turner, Knoxville/Ole Miss; Johnny Newman, Memphis?/Ole Miss; Sylvester Gray, Bolton/Memphis State (may have played in early '80's); Cecil Dowell, Bolton/Ole Miss; Anthony "Woosie" Roberts, Chattanooga Riverside/Oral Roberts; Steve Eaton, Chattanooga City/Western Kentucky; Jimmy Braddock, Chattanooga Baylor/UNC

My post-1980 top five (not including current h.s. players):

1. Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway (Memphis legend -- high school, AAU and college, great pro player before knee injuries started taking toll)

2. David Vaughn (Nashville White's Creek state champ, Memphis State, NBA)

3. Vincent Yarbrough (Cleveland state champ, UT, NBA, uncanny instincts and talent)

4. Kirk Haston (Perry County runner-up and state champ; Big Ten player of year for Indiana, NBA)

5. Lang Wiseman (Bolton four-year starter, outplayed Penny Hardaway in state finals, had good UT career, 4.0 GPA and medical degree)

Post-1980 honorable mentions (not including current h.s. players): Shawn Marion, Clarksville?/Austin Peay/NBA; Trenton Hassell, Clarksville?/Austin Peay/NBA; Popeye Jones, Dresden/Murray State/NBA; Todd Day, Whitehaven/Arkansas/NBA; Marcus Haislip, Marshall County/UT/NBA; Tony Delk, Haywood County/Kentucky/NBA; Malcolm Mackey, Brainerd/Georgia Tech/NBA; Ron Mercer, Goodpasture/Oak Hill Academy/Kentucky/NBA; Orlando Lightfoot, Chattanooga City/Oklahoma/Idaho; Tony Harris, Memphis East/UT; Jovann Johnson, Science Hill; C.J. Black, Brainerd/UT; Fred Jenkins, Columbia Central/UT; Robert O'Kelley, White Station/Wake Forest; Stanley Caldwell, Union City/UT; Carlus Groves, East Robertson/UT; Cannon Whitby, Obion County/Arkansas; David Woodard, East Robertson/JUCO; Trey Pearson, South Fulton/Ole Miss/Murray State; Marcus Maybin, Clarksville?/Louisville; Ron Heury, Whitehaven/Memphis State; Jay Price, Brainerd/UT; Jason Holwerda, Chattanooga Christian/Vandy; Seth Skogen, Tennessee Temple/Mercer

Now, who did I leave out? Who doesn't belong on this list?