Private Shools

tricklician

But then, wouldn't you be re-classifying almost every season?  Kind of hard to schedule.  What about rebuilding years?  Do they go lower?

825446584[/snapback]

We already reclassify every two years. But this is based on school size. And if you take a look at some of the threads many people are upset at thier new region alignments. A lot of teams are forced to travel a long distance.

Classifying schools by merit might have some dissatisfaction, but that would mainly be from schools that thought they earned the right to move up. Because moving up is the name of the game. A school that earns it`s way into the highest class has acheived something before the season ever starts. A perrinial team in the highest class would fight to maintain that status.

If a small private school like Boyd was able to get better because they have pen zones, then so be it. It wouldn`t make a difference because they would be grouped with bigger and better public schools. On the other hand a school like Gibson County which won it`s first game in 3 years this season in 3A would be playing in a lower class where they have a much better chance to be succesful.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The version I am proposing is essentially this: In most sports, schools have the potential to move up or down every year. To move up, simply make it to the final four of the state tournament. The "computers" would come into play in identifying the four worst teams in each class; those "take the drop" and move down a class.

Football would be a little different, with promotion and relegation (i. e. demotion) every other year, and affecting four teams per class each way in each grand division.

As far as "rescheduling every year," the key to avoiding that is to break the link that exists in most sports between the two current roles of a district (regular-season league and first-round playoff block). To do so, what I would propose is a playoff system like Washington or Pennsylvania has, where the regions are fixed and the number of qualifiers to the inter-regional rounds is what varies. As for the regular-season leagues, schools would be free to form conferences or to play as independents.

• 2 weeks later...

I like VolunteerGenerals proposal.......especially if we're talking about a 5 class system. I think reclassification every 3 or 4 years using the previous 3 or 4 years stats would be ok. There will still be travel issues and isolated schools that aren't close to anyone else in their region.

Another option would be for teams to play a regular season schedule based on travel distances and strength of schedule and then rank all the teams with appropriate multipliers based on team strength and select playoff teams similar to 'flights' in golf tournaments. Teams with the best records and the best strength of schedule would be in 5A while teams with good records but lower strength of schedule would be in a lower classification. School size would be a factor to consider.

Another option would be for teams to play a regular season schedule based on travel distances and strength of schedule and then rank all the teams with appropriate multipliers based on team strength and select playoff teams similar to 'flights' in golf tournaments.  Teams with the best records and the best strength of schedule would be in 5A while teams with good records but lower strength of schedule would be in a lower classification.  School size would be a factor to consider.

825468323[/snapback]

Wow, that seems like a lot to calculate. You are expecting the TSSAA to do this! It does make sense, like having a playoff in NCAA football, but like that, I don't think it is going to happen.

:ph34r: Coacht does it already. It would not be without controversy, but what isn't? How did the multiplier get to be 1.8 instead of 1.6 or 2.4? Admit it, some of this is arbitrary as it is. The downside to me would be the schools with enrollment that might suggest one level of competency 'playing down' to a lower level and getting rewarded for it. The upside is all of the travel problems are negated. Isn't that what the reclassification was all about?

I agree totally.  Schools should compete under the same rules.  Public schools are not allowed to play students that are outside of their school zone, privates should not be allowed to either.

825435240[/snapback]

This is an extremely unfair comment to make. Living in Hamilton County (Chattanooga) It would have been stupid for me to goto a public school, when my parents could afford a private school. The education system in Hamilton County stinks, thanks to Superintendent Dr. Jesse Register (Another long story!!) Instead of sending me to the failing schools I was zoned for, I was sent to Grace Baptsist Academy, where the emphasis is put on Christ and not sports. You also fail to mention kids who are allowed to pay tuition and attend school in another district, that they are not zoned for. And how about magnet schools, and the fact that they pull from all over the state. If you do not think this is true, the Chattanooga Times Free Press (crappy sports section) publish an article last spring about a girl from Spring City, attending CSAS, which is an hour away. Just something to think about.

Edited by ih8tntemple

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
stangfan.....Take a few moments and reflect on what you said. That can never happen. There are too many different types of public schools. Where do you put Madison Academic for instance. They don`t have a zone unless you consider Madison County a zone. Madison County has over 90,000 people. Compare that to a school like Scotts Hill.  Now is that fair?

For goodness sakes we have practically doubled the size of private schools. How fair is that? It`s now time to dissolve Div.II and bring everyone back together.

825436320[/snapback]

It has been proven the public schools do not need them. They operate different.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree totally.  Schools should compete under the same rules.  Public schools are not allowed to play students that are outside of their school zone, privates should not be allowed to either.

825435240[/snapback]

I coached both Public and Private. Don't you think that kids in Public schools play out of zone. Check the local county transportation rules. (school buses) Do you think that all of the kids playing for Riverdale, Gallatin and Lincoln County live in zone. Take a guess at how many kids are out of zone at McGavock, Pearl/Cohn and Overton. You will really be surprised.