USA Wrestling, the AAU and Future Champions

Sommers

Walkenvol, I agree with you on the policy change of making wrestlers buy a card from each sanctioning body, but I'm not sure if a card carrying AAU wrestler would be covered insurance wise, if he/she was to get hurt during a USA sanctioned tourn. I do agree that it has become more about the money than the sport for some people in these different organizations. At one time, I proposed that AAU and USA have their separate state championships, then have the top 2 from each weight class, from each organization, compete for a spot on national teams to represent the state. Instead, we are sending 2 or 3 teams to national events that are suppose to represent our state. Why not send one "stud" team? This AAU versus USA stuff is getting out of hand. Just let the kids wrestle! BayouBear had a great suggestion regarding this subject a couple of years ago. Maybe he can remember what he told me at an AAU event and enlighten all of us.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walkenvol, I do believe that Future Champions and USA had talked about using each other's cards for tournaments in Tennessee but insurance was the main stumbling block. By the way how's your son doing?

Maybe RMC could share with us what "Team Georgia" does. They seem to have things working well. I know they wrestle in FCI and USAW(not sure about AAU) and wrestle a year long schedule but I think wrestlers still have to buy both cards for tournaments.

sly....you are correct, we participate in USAW, AAU, and FCI and we have to pay for each of the memberships. 

sommers...texas23......Hey...we're just old Georgia country boys....happy to be wrestling in doors!

825455718[/snapback]

Tyler Parker began winning all of his matches after he got shoes right?

Walkenvol,  I do believe that Future Champions and USA had talked about using each other's cards for tournaments in Tennessee but insurance was the main stumbling block.  By the way how's your son doing?

825455188[/snapback]

Jose - I agree that the TN tail can't wag the national AAU or USAW dogs, but that doesn't change my stance. If the national organizations are truely all about improving amature wrestling and not about money, then nationally they would accept the other organization's membership cards. The NHSCA is the worst money grabber of them all. It was right around $200 to enter a wrestler and coach them at the senior nationals last year.

Sly - Like John Denver sang - "leaving on a jet plane"

Edited by walkenvol

If the national organizations are truely all about improving amature wrestling and not about money, then nationally they would accept the other organization's membership cards. 

825456936[/snapback]

Walkenvol,

I understand your concern. I do agree in principle what you suggest.

I was in Colorado Springs this Augfust at the USAW State Leader's Summit. They had people from the insurance company in to do a presentation on the rising cost of sport's accident insurance and proactive prevention and damage control for our events. It was asked about a collaborative card. It is the insurance companies that these organzations align with that prevents them from working off of each others card.

Walkenvol,

I understand your concern.  I do agree in principle what you suggest.

I was in Colorado Springs this Augfust at the USAW State Leader's Summit.  They had people from the insurance company in to do a presentation on the rising cost of sport's accident insurance and proactive prevention and damage control for our events.  It was asked about a collaborative card.  It is the insurance companies that these organzations align with that prevents them from working off of each others card.

825457146[/snapback]

The problem being the insurance companies, then the solution is available. The leadership of the different organizations could agree to a common carrier. They just need to be motivated to jump that obstacle.

The problem being the insurance companies, then the solution is available.  The leadership of the different organizations could agree to a common carrier.

825457193[/snapback]

Don't hold your breath. USAW does have a legitimate reason to feverishly protect its membership base. They are the recognized national governing body for wrestling in the United States. Because of this they are in charge of providing the funding for international teams and all of the added expenses that comes with this. This money comes from the membership base. They are well aware that an AAU card costs $12.00 while a USAW card costs $30.00. If they begin to let anyone with an AAU card wrestle in their events they would not have any members. They would not have the money needed to fulfill their obligation to the USOC.

TWF has responded to the coaches and has a good schedule prepared for 2005.

Edited by CoachDelgado

Don't hold your breath.  USAW does have a legitimate reason to feverishly protect its membership base.  They are the recognized national governing body for wrestling in the United States.  Because of this they are in charge of providing the funding for international teams and all of the added expenses that comes with this.  This money comes from the membership base.  They are well aware that an AAU card costs $12.00 while a USAW card costs $30.00.  If they begin to let anyone with an AAU card wrestle in their events they would not have any members.  They would not have the money needed to fulfill their obligation to the USOC. 

TWF has responded to the coaches and has a good schedule prepared for 2005.

825457296[/snapback]

That is exactly what I meant. If they wanted to do it, they could. Walkenvol is correct in his comments regarding the money issue, as we all knew.

Thanks for the insight.