USA Wrestling, the AAU and Future Champions

Sommers

Because of this they are in charge of providing the funding for international teams and all of the added expenses that comes with this.  This money comes from the membership base.

825457296[/snapback]

Jose - You just made my point. They are not focused on doing whatever it takes to improve amature wrestling in TN, they are about funding the international programs via taxation of the masses participating in the high school and lower levels. I'm not against supporting the international teams but don't say "do it for the kids" when they are really doing it for the adults. In USAW's defense, at least they are funding a worthy cause with their membership fees. What is NHSCA doing besides lining someone's pockets? USAW should expand their folkstyle options and specifically provide a senior national folkstyle tourney and put NHSCA out of business. They should then coordinate with AAU to utilize the same insurance carrier and honor AAU membership cards into their tourneys with $5 to $10 donation to international wrestling. This way they still achieve their goals without asking the participants to buy duplicate insurance coverage.

Thanks for the excellent discussion.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jose - You just made my point.  They are not focused on doing whatever it takes to improve amature wrestling in TN, they are about funding the international programs via taxation of the masses participating in the high school and lower levels.  I'm not against supporting the international teams but don't say "do it for the kids" when they are really doing it for the adults.  In USAW's defense, at least they are funding a worthy cause with their membership fees.  What is NHSCA doing besides lining someone's pockets?  USAW should expand their folkstyle options and specifically provide a senior national folkstyle tourney and put NHSCA out of business.  They should then coordinate with AAU to utilize the same insurance carrier and honor AAU membership cards into their tourneys with $5 to $10 donation to international wrestling.  This way they still achieve their goals without asking the participants to buy duplicate insurance coverage. 

Thanks for the excellent discussion.

825457381[/snapback]

Hey, are you still working with club teams? Also, does Harrison area have a club team anymore?

Edited by rigger101

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Let's keep two things in mind.

1. All of these various organizations and their leadership are trying to make a living off amateur sports. They are really in a turf war with the other organizations and are not going to work together under any cincumstances.

2. The leaders of these organizations are not business people. Yes, many of them do have their MBA from great academic institutions but they have little if any hands on experience in operating a business. Many times they are using their positions with the wrestling organizations as a steping stone to a better job. To paraphase Mark Cuban: They are not qualified to be the manager of a convenience store.

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Let's keep two things in mind.

1.  All of these various organizations and their leadership are trying to make a living off amateur sports.  They are really in a turf war with the other organizations and are not going to work together under any cincumstances.

2.  The leaders of these organizations are not business people.  Yes, many of them do have their MBA from great academic institutions but they have little if any hands on experience in operating a business.  Many times they are using their positions with the wrestling organizations as a steping stone to a better job.  To paraphase Mark Cuban: They are not qualified to be the manager of a convenience store.

825457520[/snapback]

I think it was Dairy Queen.

Hey, are you still working with club teams?  Also, does Harrison area have a club team anymore?

825457387[/snapback]

As mine have aged, I've migrated toward working with older guys.

Harrison has continued having a club. I did it until 2 years ago and since then Micheal Sutherland has continued on with a group out of Central. I assume he will do so again this season as I believe his son was around a 3rd grader.

As mine have aged, I've migrated toward working with older guys.

Harrison has continued having a club.  I did it until 2 years ago and since then Micheal Sutherland has continued on with a group out of Central.  I assume he will do so again this season as I believe his son was around a 3rd grader.

825458029[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I tried to find out on the CHS and Ooltewah thread but they are too busy calling each other names.

Where is your youngest wrestling?

Mine is a freshmen this year at Farragut!

I hope your oldest is enjoying his time up north.

Edited by rigger101

1. Where is your youngest wrestling?

2. Mine is a freshmen this year at Farragut!

3. I hope your oldest is enjoying his time up north.

825459452[/snapback]

1. Currently entertaining offers from RMC, Sly, Deaddux and others. We'll see what works out.

2. Will enjoy following his progress. In what weight class should I look for him?

3. "Enjoying" is a stretch. He's glad he's there and he's doing well. He has found it to be every bit as challenging if not more so then advertised. Very, very little time for enjoyment. The plane returns in 18 days.

4. Hope C's rib's are healing and he will be back in action soon.

1. Currently entertaining offers from RMC, Sly, Deaddux and others.  We'll see what works out.

2. Will enjoy following his progress.  In what weight class should I look for him?

3. "Enjoying" is a stretch.  He's glad he's there and he's doing well.  He has found it to be every bit as challenging if not more so then advertised.  Very, very little time for enjoyment.  The plane returns in 18 days.

4. Hope C's rib's are healing and he will be back in action soon.

825459877[/snapback]

Thanks, He just called.

Keep an eye out at 119. He should have been a 112 but we know how that is going this year. He will probably be JV. He has 3 kids in his weight class.

Started at 125 in the KIL pre-season. I think that is giving up too much weight but I know you understand that.

Tell Mr. S to hang in there. I had allot of friends graduate from West Point and I know just going thru the daily routine is tuff enough and that’s without being in a sport.

He's a great young man and I'm glad he is up there with the possibilities of being a future leader in the Armed Forces.

Edited by rigger101

I've read this thread over and over again and like many of you - I'm frustrated with this situation, but until we all get involved with youth wrestling the problem will continue. I've been one of the few parents that have purchased a card from 2 or 3 of these groups every year. Once the state of TN decides which organization best meets the need of it's athletes this problem will not go away. The leaders of these organizations have attempted to do the right thing by supporting each others events, but this is not always possible as the seasons continue to overlap. These same leaders cannot tell their parent organizations who to run the insurance through either. What you have all failed to realize is all the other wrestling groups that are not any part of these three organizations and in most case have another insurance provider or possibly no insurance at all!

If you want to be part of the solution, get involved otherwise keep your seat in the stands!

Edited by sundancer

• 4 weeks later...

Please check out TWF's message board there has been information posted about several topics. Here are some that I thought would be of interest to those involved with this thread.

1. Introduction of PeeWee Division

2. Introduction of Tennessee National Team - School Boy/Girl Division

3. Tenative schedule has been published

4. League option for brand new teams/clubs or those involved with AAU or FCI

5. Introduction to Regional Training Sites

Happy Holidays to TN wrestlers, coaches, officials, fans and families!

Edited by EChason